News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

luokou

Quote from: shadyjay on June 14, 2010, 09:35:56 PM

So I finally got the pic today... not the best since I was driving (and it was raining again), but you can pretty much get the point...

This was taken on VT 100 South approaching the intersection with VT 100B.  On VT 100 North at this intersection, 2 of the 4 signs have been replaced - that's the one I need to get a picture of so that the new vs the old can be compared, within the same assembly.

Looks like mixed case FHWA-C to me... note the tail-less lowercase l's and the slanted top of 'd', 'l' and 't'. If it really is Clearview and my glasses aren't playing tricks on me, I'm really glad the numerals are still in FHWA :]

LeftyJR

Here are some recently installed Clearview signs in central PA - US 220/Lock Haven Bypass.

I think it looks pretty good.

agentsteel53

Quote from: luokou on June 15, 2010, 03:34:02 AM

Looks like mixed case FHWA-C to me... note the tail-less lowercase l's and the slanted top of 'd', 'l' and 't'. If it really is Clearview and my glasses aren't playing tricks on me, I'm really glad the numerals are still in FHWA :]

it is indeed Highway Gothic C.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

shadyjay

Alright, my bad then... with all this talk of Clearview and me seeing new signs, I thought the worst, especially with the mixed-case lettering.

Brandon

Lefty JR, that last one looks like it is in Louisylvania.  :colorful:

/It's got a typical Louisiana sign bridge.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ATLRedSoxFan

Quote from: Brandon on June 15, 2010, 12:06:03 PM
Lefty JR, that last one looks like it is in Louisylvania.  :colorful:

/It's got a typical Louisiana sign bridge.

Indeed, the fifty-first state...lol!  Although, I've noticed IL and KY use the same what I call 'swing set" gantry and FL and KY on occasion use the same one lane overhead sign gantry.

Mr_Northside

I'm also sure the new exit numbers are "ready" for I-99?  Even though there is no funding to get the current missing sections up to standard anytime soon.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

LeftyJR

They are definitely I-99 exit tabs and mile posts along the route.  Apparently District 2 is all in with this, money or not...even with a 3 mile gap in the highway.  These mile markers end at the Clinton/Lycoming county line, which is the border between PennDOT districts 2/3.

NJRoadfan

You are going to see more Clearview on I-95 in VA. They are in the process of replacing alot of the signs between I-495 and Richmond.

thenetwork

It doesn't look like C-DOT is going anywhere with Clearview for a while...

I was in Denver over the weekend, and they recently replaced many of the BGSs on I-70 between I-25 and I-76 in Denver.  No Clearview, :clap: but what was interesting:

1)  The I-76 East exit signs which used to denote Ft. Morgan are now spelled out to read Fort Morgan.
2)  Both the I-76 and I-70 shields on the BGSs now carry the state name on them (non-neutered).

nyratk1

The Town of Brookhaven installed a new batch of street signs with mixed case Clearview including around the block from me. :(

jdb1234

Quote from: jdb1234 on June 03, 2010, 09:07:27 PM
I don't have a photo, but I believe there are Speed Limit signs in clearview in my area.

I finally got a photo.  Maybe not the best quality in the world.

Scott5114

That's Helvetica. Not even close to Clearview.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jdb1234

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 29, 2010, 03:54:21 PM

Okay, thanks.  Never seen Helvectia on a roadsign before.

Eth

Quote from: jdb1234 on June 29, 2010, 03:19:14 PM
Quote from: jdb1234 on June 03, 2010, 09:07:27 PM
I don't have a photo, but I believe there are Speed Limit signs in clearview in my area.

I finally got a photo.  Maybe not the best quality in the world.

<Helvetica speed limit sign>

These are rather abundant in Jackson County, Florida last time I checked (about 6 months ago).  Drives me nuts.

CL

Municipal governments love to post that type of speed limit sign.
Infrastructure. The city.

Android

Yeah, I cringe whenever I've seen Helvetica on speed limit signs.  Helvetica is a good typeface, but let's keep it off of official street and road signs please.  
-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Android on June 30, 2010, 11:16:25 PM
Yeah, I cringe whenever I've seen Helvetica on speed limit signs.

Well, it could be worse.

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

agentsteel53

the sad part is, that sign replaces a perfectly good DC-US 29 marker with the same layout, black background and all.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

codyg1985

Quote from: jdb1234 on June 29, 2010, 04:07:30 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 29, 2010, 03:54:21 PM

Okay, thanks.  Never seen Helvectia on a roadsign before.

The Speed Limit signs and most of the regulatory and warning signs on Redstone Arsenal here in Huntsville are in Helvetica. The roads on RSA are maintained by the Army Department of Public Works.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

jdb1234

Here is a Clearview Sign on I-65:

hbelkins

I just got done with a short trip to Southwestern Virginia. Clearview is becoming more prevalent, not only on the interstates but the surface routes as well. A number of directional signs and the green mileage signs mounted below route markers are in Clearview in the southwestern Mountains.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

deathtopumpkins

That holds true here in Hampton Roads too. Pretty much everything VDOT puts up is Clearview now, and most of the cities are using it too.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

bugo

I don't give a fuck what the government says, and I don't give a rat's ass about their studies, but Clearview is far harder to read than the old FHWA fonts.  Especially when the sign has lots of text on it.  Something about the Clearview letters just runs together. 

TheStranger

Here's a Clearview retroreflective greenout plate in Southern California, on a button copy sign:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymondyue/4829216479/in/contacts/
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.