News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

shoptb1

Quote from: osu-lsu on August 08, 2010, 11:12:49 PM
Those overhead signs on 315 (between Bethel and Ackerman) would make Caltrans blush. But after almost 30 years, they need to go.

The cave paintings in Lascaux, France would make CalTrans blush at their relative "newness", but that's a different story.   :sombrero:

Android

Here's another before/after from Wyoming - photos taken Jan 16 and August 15 2010.  You can't see the date codes in the low-res version I have below, but the signs were from 2000 and 2010. 

-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

agentsteel53

what was wrong with the old sign that it needed replacement after only two years?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Android

2000 to 2010, that's ten years, not two...
Still, I have no idea why that sign was replaced, it looked fine in January, and I noticed no issues with it after then.  But that's one of several brand new shiny 2010 Clearview signs put up this summer...  And that one was a north-facing sign that doesn't get a whole lot of sun-exposure. 

agentsteel53

Quote from: Android on August 16, 2010, 01:35:24 AM
2000 to 2010, that's ten years, not two...
Still, I have no idea why that sign was replaced, it looked fine in January, and I noticed no issues with it after then.  But that's one of several brand new shiny 2010 Clearview signs put up this summer... 

oh, I apparently can't read.  still, though, the sign looks fine to me, and it's not like the legend needed updating.

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

I don't have a picture, but I-195 in VA now has a Clearview sign on it - a sign for the University of Richmond, just before the VA 147 exit. I-195 was the last interstate highway in Virginia without any Clearview signs on it at all prior to this sign being installed (within the last two weeks).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

6a

Quote from: Android on August 16, 2010, 01:15:30 AM
Here's another before/after from Wyoming - photos taken Jan 16 and August 15 2010.  You can't see the date codes in the low-res version I have below, but the signs were from 2000 and 2010. 

Well, we can't fault a sign for putting on a little weight in winter, now can we?  :biggrin:

Android

LOL. Too bad that that one won't likely "fatten up" ever again.   In another note, I saw a brand new 2010 exit/gore sign for northbound I-25 milepost 9 that was in Series E. (way too much traffic to try to get a photo, I was lucky to even notice the typeface and the date code)  But then I saw several other 2010 gore/exit signs in Clearview.  I suspect that maybe WYDOT  may have a certain amount of pre-made signs in storage from years past and they only put on the date code (bottom left) when they leave the warehouse.   Also, it appears they are not using Clearview on anything but Interstate guide signs, I saw a couple of off-interstate signs with a 2010 date on them in Series D today.  like this one as you meet the interstate at exit 80, as seen in this link: http://members.trainorders.com/android/misc/CheyenneDouglas2010.jpg

kj3400

The other day I spotted a new clearview sign for I-95 north on I-695 under Washington Blvd. I guess MdDOT got tired of the old button copy sign that used to be there.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Alex

Quote from: kj3400 on August 19, 2010, 09:53:41 PM
The other day I spotted a new clearview sign for I-95 north on I-695 under Washington Blvd. I guess MdDOT got tired of the old button copy sign that used to be there.

Found this image in my queue from 12-30-08 of that particular sign. For what its worth, the Exit 11B sign ahead of the southbound off-ramp was Clearviewized by then...

So was the original intent of that button copy sign to direct all traffic into the right-hand lane for Interstate 95? Or did the original interchange design call for Exit 11 to depart in unison before splitting?

I did not get on the inner loop during that stretch last month, but noted new Clearview signs on the outer loop for Exits 36, 33 of course, and 32 (those were still Hwy Gothic at the beginning of last year).

burgess87

No picture at this time, but the NYSTA's put up another CV sign at the following location:

Thruway EB @ Exit 48A (NY 77 / Pembroke / Medina).

This one actually doesn't look messed up.

cu2010

Was it put up recently (within the past few months)? I've seen a bunch of new NYSTA signs that were in Series E(M) (the new signs EB at Exit 39 come to mind, along with the new signs at the Woodbury toll barrier)...they still look off, but they aren't Clearview.

NYSTA definitely got way too Clearview-happy for their own good...I saw warning signs, and even a "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" sign in Clearview (and a "PLEASE RECYCLE" sign at a service area in Clearview that made me want to take a Post-it Note and write "please don't use Clearview" and put it under the sign)...if they're still putting up Clearview signs that's a shame.

The real problem with NYSTA Clearview (heck, most NYSTA signage in general) is that the lettering is way too big. It's not quite as noticeable with E(M), but it's definitely noticeable with Clearview.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

burgess87

Quote from: cu2010 on August 23, 2010, 04:45:55 PM
Was it put up recently (within the past few months)? I've seen a bunch of new NYSTA signs that were in Series E(M) (the new signs EB at Exit 39 come to mind, along with the new signs at the Woodbury toll barrier)...they still look off, but they aren't Clearview.

NYSTA definitely got way too Clearview-happy for their own good...I saw warning signs, and even a "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" sign in Clearview (and a "PLEASE RECYCLE" sign at a service area in Clearview that made me want to take a Post-it Note and write "please don't use Clearview" and put it under the sign)...if they're still putting up Clearview signs that's a shame.

The real problem with NYSTA Clearview (heck, most NYSTA signage in general) is that the lettering is way too big. It's not quite as noticeable with E(M), but it's definitely noticeable with Clearview.

I've seen those recycle ones at the Thruway service centers.  I'm certain the 48A sign is CV as well.

As to when it was done, the NYSTA is re-paving much of that stretch in both directions right now.  I'm guessing the new sign was put up within the past two weeks.

kj3400

Quote from: AARoads on August 20, 2010, 02:53:43 AM
Quote from: kj3400 on August 19, 2010, 09:53:41 PM

Found this image in my queue from 12-30-08 of that particular sign. For what its worth, the Exit 11B sign ahead of the southbound off-ramp was Clearviewized by then...

So was the original intent of that button copy sign to direct all traffic into the right-hand lane for Interstate 95? Or did the original interchange design call for Exit 11 to depart in unison before splitting?

I did not get on the inner loop during that stretch last month, but noted new Clearview signs on the outer loop for Exits 36, 33 of course, and 32 (those were still Hwy Gothic at the beginning of last year).

I don't know. It seems to me though that would have been the case conisidering the entire interchange is symmetrical except for 11B sticking out like a sore thumb. I just can't see where they would have put the matching ramp.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

6a

Okay, this is nit-picky as hell, but one thing has really been chewing at me.  The ampersand.  Look at this thing,

It looks like a visual representation of that "I got your nose" game you play with toddlers, it's disgusting.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest :banghead:

Alps

Android

I guess Clearview isn't the only typeface to use an ampersand drawn like that, but until seeing this I was unaware of it.  I don't care for it at all - looks to me like it was drawn up by someone who could not quite remember how it was supposed to look. 

Scott5114

Yeah, that's a pretty ugly ampersand. The first time I saw one I had basically the exact same reaction as you.

Although, the ampersand was traditionally a ligature of the word "et", "and" in Latin, which is particularly apparent in this ampersand.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

burgess87

Here's a not-so-good cell phone picture of the Clearview sign on IH 90 EB @ Exit 48A in Pembroke, NY:

Best CV sign NYSTA's put together, bar none.  They put another one up on the Thruway WB lanes @ Exit 49, and it looks terrible.   :pan:

Scott5114

Clearview: So awful it distorts the fabric of time and space. :pan:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Quillz

I'm a huge fan of Clearview. 100% serious.

Quillz

Here's another concept I made...

I took the shield design that is used in both Prince Edward Island and in Florida (toll roads), and used the same gold-on-blue color scheme and went with Clearview numerals, 2-W.

I'm not sure at what point I woke up and realized I really liked Clearview, but it just happened. I've also noted it's not very common around here in California. Some new signs in Orange County have it, but that's the only place I've seen it. Of course, CalTRANS is notorious for reusing signs, so I imagine I won't be seeing Clearview in wide usage around here for a long time.

agentsteel53

I can't help but think how much better the numbers would be if they were uniform stroke thickness.  the fact that the vertical leg of the 4 is extra bold is ... highly distracting.

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

While I like Clearview, I definitely would agree with most (or maybe everyone) that the the three thickest weights (6, 5 and 4) are way too wide for everyday purposes. They work well on guide signs but nowhere else. I've found for shields and smaller applications, 1 is good for three-digit numbers and 2 and 3 can be used for double-digit and single-digit numbers, respectively.

I've looked at some of the error Interstate shields in Michigan that use Clearview numerals and it appears that the "75" and "96" are 2-W, which is what I've found does look best within a shield.

cu2010

Quote from: burgess87 on August 30, 2010, 03:37:44 PM
Here's a not-so-good cell phone picture of the Clearview sign on IH 90 EB @ Exit 48A in Pembroke, NY:

The text certainly looks better (though the exit tab leaves much to be desired), but there's still way too much green space.

I don't get how NYSTA can make consistently bad-looking signs. I really don't get it.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.