News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

abundance of speed limit signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, July 27, 2021, 04:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I've noticed a lot of places, and construction zones too, DOTs or contractors over sign the speed limit whereas other messages aren't explained or displayed as much.

An example, on I-684 in suburban NYC has these work zone speed limit signs on both sides of the highway 4 times within one mile from Exit 4 on south to the terminus of the highway.  About 10 miles or more. Do the math....that's a lot of speed limit signage. 

I'm not sure what the work will be, I'm guessing a resurfacing project.  In that case, I think "raised structures" or "grooved pavement" would be just, if not more, important than the speed limit signs that nobody really follows anyway.  Drivers go at what they feel comfortable with.

[/url]

Another example is I-95 SB @ I-287 at the CT/NY line where there's a lane drop and a confusing split exit ramp.  Not much signage about it.  WCBS-TV even did a story about the confusing signage.
However, there's quite a few speed limit signs before it. 

I know calling out speeding is PC such as Ped Xing, but I've noticed there's more emphasis on speed limit than other messages or driving behaviors such as aggressive driving or pass left/drive right,

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

SkyPesos

NY 198 in Buffalo. I found 4 speed limit signs within the first mile from the west, and two of them have "Your Speed"  indicators. Seems like they really want to get the message across that it is a freeway with a 30 mph speed limit.

Rothman

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 27, 2021, 09:54:17 PM
NY 198 in Buffalo. I found 4 speed limit signs within the first mile from the west, and two of them have "Your Speed"  indicators. Seems like they really want to get the message across that it is a freeway with a 30 mph speed limit.
Well, when a kid dies, this is what happens.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mr. Matté

There is often an positive correlation between the number of speed limit signs and the difference between the posted and the 85th percentile and/or design speed.

Rothman

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 27, 2021, 10:04:36 PM
There is often an positive correlation between the number of speed limit signs and the difference between the posted and the 85th percentile and/or design speed.
Best post of the day.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

NY 198 in Buffalo. I found 4 speed limit signs within the first mile from the west, and two of them have “Your Speed” indicators. Seems like they really want to get the message across that it is a freeway with a 30 mph speed limit.
Freeway posted at 30 mph? WTF
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 27, 2021, 11:31:42 PM
I used it as one of my entries in the "Guess the speed limit" thread, and we had a discussion about it.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 27, 2021, 11:32:58 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 27, 2021, 11:31:42 PM
I used it as one of my entries in the "Guess the speed limit" thread, and we had a discussion about it.
Oh I must have forgotten about that.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ozarkman417

US 412 approaching either tollbooth on the Cimmaron Turnpike in Oklahoma.
75 > 65 > 55 > 45 > 35 > 30
Isn't there a thread for these types of setups somewhere?

kphoger

Quote from: ozarkman417 on July 28, 2021, 12:11:04 AM
US 412 approaching either tollbooth on the Cimmaron Turnpike in Oklahoma.
75 > 65 > 55 > 45 > 35 > 30
Isn't there a thread for these types of setups somewhere?

I seem to remember a tangential discussion related to something like "most speed limit signs visible at one time" or whatever.  I've seen it at exit ramps in Europe as well.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thenetwork

Colorado tends to use "step down" speed limit signs (ie: 55-> 45-> 35-> on 2-lane highways going into towns, or same 2-lane highways ending at T-intersections.   

The steps vary going into & out of towns, but for the latter case, the step downs usually occur 1/2 mile and 1/4 mile from the end of the road respectively.

1995hoo

New Mexico will also do that as well, and they'll do the "step up" as you leave a town. US-550 leaving Cuba is a good example–you can see the 45-mph sign on the right there (it's 35 through town–you can see that sign visible on the left with the diamond thingies on top), and if you click ahead on the road you'll see 55-, 65-, and 70-mph signs before the road goes up that hill visible in the distance.

I seem to recall a discussion of this in the past because I'm sure I mentioned those signs outside Cuba. I obeyed the 35-mph limit through town and was glad I did because the guy who considered himself a speed demon and blew past us without slowing down got pulled over for speeding roughly in the area I linked above.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CoreySamson

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 28, 2021, 10:48:26 AM
New Mexico will also do that as well, and they'll do the "step up" as you leave a town. US-550 leaving Cuba is a good example–you can see the 45-mph sign on the right there (it's 35 through town–you can see that sign visible on the left with the diamond thingies on top), and if you click ahead on the road you'll see 55-, 65-, and 70-mph signs before the road goes up that hill visible in the distance.

I seem to recall a discussion of this in the past because I'm sure I mentioned those signs outside Cuba. I obeyed the 35-mph limit through town and was glad I did because the guy who considered himself a speed demon and blew past us without slowing down got pulled over for speeding roughly in the area I linked above.
The thread where this was discussed, for reference. I find it unique that the primary example of that thread I found is in Texas, which doesn't tend to use "step ups".

I would rather have too many speed limit signs rather than too few, IMO.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

sprjus4

From what I've seen, at least in a lot of towns in south Texas, it will usually go from 75 mph to 70 mph (usually with no warning) then to 55 mph (with an actual warning this time) to then whatever the town posts. Leaving town, it's the same setup.

TXtoNJ

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2126251,-122.8102155,3a,49.4y,162.83h,87.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scapbmGxOKojlK1gfizWNug!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

BC posts a ton of Maximum 90 km/h signs around the Port Mann Bridge. Noticeable, because traffic's usually flowing at around 115 km/h around there.

bcroadguy

Quote from: TXtoNJ on July 28, 2021, 04:25:31 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2126251,-122.8102155,3a,49.4y,162.83h,87.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scapbmGxOKojlK1gfizWNug!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

BC posts a ton of Maximum 90 km/h signs around the Port Mann Bridge. Noticeable, because traffic's usually flowing at around 115 km/h around there.

The speed limit on the entire 90 km/h section of Highway 1 from the Port Mann Bridge to Vancouver is very much ignored. Every single interchange was drastically improved from a 1960s standard in the early 2010s, yet the speed limit stayed the same. Particularly on Sundays when traffic isn't very heavy, it often seems to be flowing at 125 km/h in the left lane (go 5 km/h faster and your car will be impounded) until you encounter one random person driving 85 km/h in the left lane. Then, as soon as that one dumbass car moves over, back to 125 km/h.

My dad got pulled over near the Port Mann bridge before for exiting the HOV lane by crossing a solid white line (in BC it means do not cross. Meanwhile in Seattle, the only way to get into / exit the HOV lane is to cross a solid white line), and of course speeding, and the police officer flat out told to stick to 110 km/h because the odds of you getting a ticket for that speed are very low.

bcroadguy

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 27, 2021, 10:04:36 PM

My favorite example of this near my place is the Coast Meridian Overpass, which has THREE "MAXIMUM 50 km/h" signs in less than 1 km.

I somewhat understand why the speed limit is 50 km/h on either side of it due to the high number of driveways (although the limit is very much ignored. I drive this road almost every day, and on the north side of this railyard overpass is a 4 lane road with few left turn lanes and many residential driveways, where the flow is usually 65-75 km/h (VERY often 80-85 km/h on one downhill portion), and on the south side is a 4 lane + 2-way left turn lane road with many driveways leading to busy industrial parks, where people make many dangerous maneuvers, and often drive 70-90 km/h)).

Despite the roads on either side being somewhat dangerous, the Coast Meridian Overpass is built to a very high standard. It has four lanes, is divided by concrete barriers, obviously has no intersections due to being an overpass, has shoulder bike lanes, a sidewalk on one side, and 70 km/h (which is almost painfully slow) - 95 km/h are typical speeds (even the public buses go at least 10 km/h over the limit). The speed limit is 50 km/h. Luckily there is no good spot for the police to set up a speed trap.

Interestingly, the road that intersects Coast Meridian Rd. / Broadway St. (the roads the overpass connects), Kingsway Ave, a 2-lane road which provides access to many industrial parks, a jail, Highway 7B, and a very busy Chevron/Tim Hortons/Wendy's, has a speed limit of 60 km/h, which is quite rare for a municipally maintained road around here.

Most speed limits on municipal roads in my area are posted at 50 km/h in spite of the road conditions (The cul-de-sac behind my parents' house has a 50 km/h  speed limit. So does the 4-lane arterial with ONE driveway (for a municipal water pump thingy, that I have NEVER seen used in 10+ years of living here. So is another median divided 4-lane road without a single driveway.)

On most arterial roads (in the suburbs at least), the speed limits around here are ignored so much and enforced so little that in many locations, they aren't even suggestions anymore. In many places they mean "go at least 15 km/h over or everyone behind you will be mad."

Rothman

Quote from: bcroadguy on August 14, 2021, 05:44:02 AM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on July 28, 2021, 04:25:31 PM

The speed limit on the entire 90 km/h section of Highway 1 from the Port Mann Bridge to Vancouver is very much ignored. Every single interchange was drastically improved from a 1960s standard in the early 2010s, yet the speed limit stayed the same. Particularly on Sundays when traffic isn't very heavy, it often seems to be flowing at 125 km/h in the left lane (go 5 km/h faster and your car will be impounded) until you encounter one random person driving 85 km/h in the left lane. Then, as soon as that one dumbass car moves over, back to 125 km/h.

My dad got pulled over near the Port Mann bridge before for exiting the HOV lane by crossing a solid white line (in BC it means do not cross. Meanwhile in Seattle, the only way to get into / exit the HOV lane is to cross a solid white line), and of course speeding, and the police officer flat out told to stick to 110 km/h because the odds of you getting a ticket for that speed are very low.
Pretty sure you're not supposed to cross that white line in Seattle, too.

jay8g

Quote from: Rothman on August 14, 2021, 09:18:32 AM
Pretty sure you're not supposed to cross that white line in Seattle, too.

On freeways with toll lanes, there are double white lines, which you aren't supposed to cross. Normal HOV lanes have single solid white lines, which you can cross.

On the topic of this thread, Seattle recently installed speed limit signs every. quarter. mile. on arterial streets. Feels like massive overkill, especially on roads that are clearly designed for speeds way higher than the new posted limits.

wxfree

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 28, 2021, 12:24:34 PM
From what I've seen, at least in a lot of towns in south Texas, it will usually go from 75 mph to 70 mph (usually with no warning) then to 55 mph (with an actual warning this time) to then whatever the town posts. Leaving town, it's the same setup.

That's common on roads where the speed limit of 75 is newer, a result of the 2011 legislation.  On roads that had the increase to 75 earlier, out west, the common sequence is "Speed limit 65 ahead," "Speed limit 65, "Speed limit 55," and et cetera.  There are roads in counties that were eligible for the higher speed limit earlier, due to low population density, but where it wasn't raised until after the 2011 legislation, that follow the pattern you described.  The change in practice seems to be over time, not by geography or TxDOT district.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

interstatefan990

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 27, 2021, 04:01:21 PM
I've noticed a lot of places...

What a weird feeling! Seeing something on your local interstate, thinking about posting it, deciding not to, and someone else goes ahead and posts it for you.  :-D
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.