News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Remaining incendescent signals

Started by traffic light guy, October 04, 2015, 11:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

I saw a set of 12-inch McCain signals, they were incandescent, installed about 15-20 years ago, I even saw another an early-90s TCT signal and the green lenses were burnt, cheap plastic of the 1980s/mid 90s!

freebrickproductions

Alabama still has tons of incandescent signals state-wide, though many of the larger cities and towns have upgraded most of their signals to LED.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

The High Plains Traveler

Seems to me that most of the new signals installed by Colorado DOT in the Pueblo area are incandescent, at least on the solid light lenses.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Mohkfry

There are loads of Incandescent signals in Northwest Indiana. Most are owned and maintained by cities and towns. All of the remaining INDOT maintained incandescent signals are being retrofitted with LED's as bulbs fail.

Gary, Indiana is still at least 80% incandescent. The superintendent of the Traffic Dept. said they prefer incandescent over LED. Only thing installed today that is LED in Gary is replacement signals for knockdowns.

Highland, IN is still Incandescent with the exception of Kennedy Ave north of Ridge Rd.

Hammond, IN still has a few stragglers here and there that remain incandescent.

Merrilville, IN refuses to upgrade anything to LED with the exception of new installs since they can't be ordered incandescent anymore.

Griffith, IN is still half incandescent (this includes a set of Checker signals).

Monticello, IN has 3 out the 5 city maintained intersections incandescent. The other 2 are newer installs.
They even replaced a single LED flasher with an incandescent flasher within the past year.

Chesterton, IN has this interesting intersection that remains incandescent.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6166582,-87.0503656,3a,75y,287.26h,81.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-MzLoq1XtuXnOtYGvfHeXQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

If I had to estimate, there's probably at least 150 or more intersections around the NW Indiana district that still remain either fully incandescent, or just have incandescent pedestrian signals.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm pretty sure there are more though.

cl94

Buffalo has a bunch of incandescents scattered around. I'd go as far as to say most signals in the city are incandescent.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

PHLBOS

Both Greater Boston and Greater Philly still have plenty of incandescent signals around.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

traffic light guy

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 05, 2015, 05:26:36 PM
Both Greater Boston and Greater Philly still have plenty of incandescent signals around.

I don't know about Boston, but Philly retrofitted there older signals with LEDs 5 years ago in 2010.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on October 05, 2015, 05:24:40 PM
Buffalo has a bunch of incandescents scattered around. I'd go as far as to say most signals in the city are incandescent.

I saw someone posted that most signals in the US are now LED. However, I thought that couldn't be the case because I have looked at many Erie County and Buffalo signals over a long period of time and can infer that only about 1/3 or more are LED, while as you get closer to the city they are incandescent. In fact, I just look at the bulbs, and if they switch immediately, then they must be LEDs, but if they work like light switches/bulbs, then they must be incandescent,
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

PHLBOS

Quote from: traffic light guy on October 05, 2015, 06:08:48 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 05, 2015, 05:26:36 PM

I don't know about Boston, but Philly retrofitted there older signals with LEDs 5 years ago in 2010.
When I say "Greater Boston or Philly" I'm not necessarily refering to just the cities themselves but the surrounding suburbs as well.  Yes, Philly itself retrofitted most of not all of their older signals with LEDs (some might still remain on the outer fringes); but for the surrounding 4 counties (Delaware, Chester, Montgomery & Bucks)... not necessarily.  Where I live (in Delaware County, PA), there's at least 3 sets of signals within a 1-mile radius that are still largely incandescents.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Michael

Here in Auburn, some street lights were converted to LED a couple of years ago.  They're the all metal ones on NY 326, the Arterial, part of North and State streets, the part of Franklin St next to the Arterial, and the Lake Ave bridge.  For a few years, there were a few different types of street lights installed on John Walsh Blvd in what I assume was a test of different lights.  Those have been converted to LED as well.

As for traffic lights, some are LED and some are incandescent.  I never paid attention to how many of each there are.  Starting last summer. several signals have been completely replaced, including the supports.  I've only seen incandescent replacements used.

jbnv

There are plenty of incandescent signals here in southeast Louisiana.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

cl94

Quote from: Michael on October 15, 2015, 08:56:22 PM
Here in Auburn, some street lights were converted to LED a couple of years ago.  They're the all metal ones on NY 326, the Arterial, part of North and State streets, the part of Franklin St next to the Arterial, and the Lake Ave bridge.  For a few years, there were a few different types of street lights installed on John Walsh Blvd in what I assume was a test of different lights.  Those have been converted to LED as well.

As for traffic lights, some are LED and some are incandescent.  I never paid attention to how many of each there are.  Starting last summer. several signals have been completely replaced, including the supports.  I've only seen incandescent replacements used.

They're not incandescent. They're the new style of LED. New incandescent signals are pretty much unheard of.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Michael

Quote from: cl94 on October 15, 2015, 10:04:21 PM

They're not incandescent. They're the new style of LED. New incandescent signals are pretty much unheard of.
Really?  To me, the left signal head at this intersection looks LED, and the right one looks incandescent.  This one was replaced last year.  This signal was replaced in 2008, and to me, it also looks incandescent.  I originally thought signals like these were incandescent, but after zooming in, it looks like there are LEDs visible.  I thought the bright spots were the prisms on the inside of the lens.  I guess it makes more sense that these are LED since I've seen partially defective signals like these before, and obviously that only happens with LEDs.

cl94

Quote from: Michael on October 16, 2015, 05:13:09 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 15, 2015, 10:04:21 PM

Really?  To me, the left signal head at this intersection looks LED, and the right one looks incandescent.  This one was replaced last year.  This signal was replaced in 2008, and to me, it also looks incandescent.  I originally thought signals like these were incandescent, but after zooming in, it looks like there are LEDs visible.  I thought the bright spots were the prisms on the inside of the lens.  I guess it makes more sense that these are LED since I've seen partially defective signals like these before, and obviously that only happens with LEDs.

The first one is likely a GE RX11. They're used quite a bit for in-place retrofits, but occasionally are installed new. The ones that look classic incandescent signals are likely GE GTX or similar. The GT series is designed to look like an incandescent lamp.

M3019C LPS20

Some traffic signals that control crosswalks in Central Pk. in Manhattan, N.Y. still use incandescent lamps, but they are technically not controlled by the NYCDOT.

UsTraveleR21

UsTraveleR21

According to this article https://www.sompor.com/blog/LED lights are great. They last around 20 times longer and consume up to 90% less energy when compared to halogen or incandescent lighting, which helps you save money on your energy bills so why are they not changing their light. So old-fashioned? Don't you think?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: UsTraveleR21 on November 02, 2017, 09:57:37 PM
Why dont they use LEd lights?

There's a heavy upfront cost to switch lights over. Most agencies are doing so, but some are doing it on a case by case basis.

You're also responding to be 2 year old thread, so some areas that hadn't switched over in 2015 may have since switched.

kphoger

I sometimes notice flickering at LED installations, but I don't think I've ever seen flickering with incandescents.  Why is that?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

signalman

Quote from: kphoger on November 03, 2017, 11:45:55 AM
I sometimes notice flickering at LED installations, but I don't think I've ever seen flickering with incandescents.  Why is that?
Do you know if they were LED retrofits or new installations?  Could be poor electrical connections on retrofits.

kphoger

Quote from: signalman on November 03, 2017, 11:54:48 AM
Quote from: kphoger on November 03, 2017, 11:45:55 AM
Do you know if they were LED retrofits or new installations?  Could be poor electrical connections on retrofits.

That's likely, as I believe they were retrofits.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

freebrickproductions

Older LEDs may also have issues with the soldering on boards starting to fail.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

traffic light guy

Here's a set of plastic McCain heads, these were installed in the Late-90s/early-2000s:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1742041,-75.0987238,3a,75y,326.05h,93.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slvqRFecaip3QizyWjQNRyg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

No LEDs, a PA funding program is getting rid of these soon

cjk374

Many LED retrofits in north Louisiana have been deretrofitted back to incandescent due to flickering.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: traffic light guy on November 04, 2017, 10:09:24 AM
Here's a set of plastic McCain heads, these were installed in the Late-90s/early-2000s:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1742041,-75.0987238,3a,75y,326.05h,93.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slvqRFecaip3QizyWjQNRyg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

No LEDs, a PA funding program is getting rid of these soon

Your linked image is facing the wrong direction! Here...give this a try! :)

https://goo.gl/maps/9dDtr4BoXS12

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.