Single-lane left turns converted from protected-permissive to permissive only

Started by fwydriver405, October 20, 2023, 10:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fwydriver405

A spin-off from this thread, Single-lane left turns converted from protected-permissive to protected only - curious about how common the reverse scenario is regarding signal phasing changes, when protected-permissive left or right turn phasing was previously in effect, but later down the road, the protected phase gets removed and the signal runs fully permissive with the new operations.

Three signals that I've observed:

Boston, MA at Massachusetts Ave at St. Botolph St:

2016 and before: 5-section shared signals in both directions. Not sure if they used traditional lead-lead phasing or if they used double lagging phasing then.

2017-present: Shared 5-section signal removed with shared 3-section RYG head. I believe this was done as when bike lanes and LPIs were added on Mass. Ave, the northbound approach lost its left turn lane, and keeping the protected phasing would not work with this configuration without causing operational issues or yellow trap.

Concord, NH at Main at Pleasant St:

Mid 2010s? and before: Advanced green, albeit blind, for the northbound Main St approach with shared left-thru lanes

2017? - 2022: Fully permissive FYAs installed, left-thru lanes were removed with dedicated left turn lanes.

2022 - present: The same as the 2017 configuration, lane-wise. However, the FYA is now in the centre instead of the bottom, hinting at the fact that protected phasing may return at some point (in a more mature way). The protected phase has not appeared yet from my last visit on April 8, 2024 in June 2022, so I'm guessing it's not active yet or it's time of day based.

Falmouth, ME at ME Route 26/100 at Leighton Rd:

2019 and before: Only the northbound approach had an advanced green with 4-section bimodal signals.

2020 - present: The permissive protected phasing got removed when the road was reconstructed with 3-section fully permissive FYAs, though the westbound Leighton Rd approach now has a protected phase.

jakeroot

Going through old threads.

Puyallup, WA: 7th St NW at River Road (WA-161):

This is not the best example because it technically never operated as a protected signal, but it was intended to.

2017 and before: doghouses, though the arrow portion had been bagged and the intersection operated fully permissive.

2018 to present: fully permissive; the doghouse signals were swapped for standard 3-section all-orb displays.

Bitmapped

Two examples that spring to mind:

Morgantown, WV: University Avenue at Alumni Drive.   The protected arrow was deactivated close to 20 years ago, but the signal heads were never changed. The arrow just doesn't come on. This used to be the main access route to WVU Hospitals but a new access road was built that directly connects to WV 705, leaving Alumni Drive as a dead end.

Canton, OH: 11th St SE at US 30 westbound ramps. Perm-prot left turn arrows for the eastbound and northbound approaches were changed to permissive only. An overlapping right turn arrow was removed. The office building just to the north of this intersection has been abandoned, which means there's no longer traffic to justify arrows. Location in: 2017 with arrows and 2023 without.

ran4sh

The intersection of Epps Bridge Rd (not Epps Br Pkwy) & Atlanta Hwy in Athens GA, was converted from split phase to permissive only.

Split phase, as in, SB left turn gets a green arrow along with SB straight, while NB has a red. Then that light turns red, and NB left turn gets a green arrow along with NB straight, while SB has a red.

Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.