News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Innovative, Unique, or Strange Lane Markings

Started by TEG24601, September 14, 2016, 11:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on September 18, 2016, 07:07:50 PM
Speaking of NYSDOT and climbing lanes, we also used to use a double dashed white line on them: https://goo.gl/maps/Pae1aBhd2L32

These days it's just a thicker dashed line.

VDOT used to do the same for the left-lane HOV lane on I-66 outside the Beltway (and maybe on the Dulles Toll Road too, but I don't remember). They've also switched to a single thicker line.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

As long as there's a thread for "unique" pavement markings...

"[cyclists] MUST EXIT" is not an uncommon sign here in the Seattle-area. But I've never seen the message relayed with pavement markings in the shoulder before. Though as usual, I'm not so hot on the Yoda-ordering of the message -- I still tend to read top-to-bottom, even at 50 mph.

vdeane

I also read top to bottom, even on roads.  Why did someone get the idea to have everyone read bottom to top on pavement, when we don't in any other context?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

I think the idea is to allow the message to be read properly if obstructed by the vehicle in front. Not saying I agree with it and I'd love to see a study showing which way is better.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Saw a picture of a local government entity in New Jersey that's painting a blue line between the two yellow stripes on their streets to show support for law enforcement.

Then, there's the red-white-blue center striping along a Rhode Island state route in one city. I've driven it, but can't remember the route number or the city.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on September 24, 2016, 11:33:50 PM
Then, there's the red-white-blue center striping along a Rhode Island state route in one city. I've driven it, but can't remember the route number or the city.

Bristol, Rhode Island. The markings seem to be used on more than one road, but most pictured is Hope Street (Route 114), south of Chestnut.

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on September 25, 2016, 03:31:46 AM

Bristol, Rhode Island. The markings seem to be used on more than one road, but most pictured is Hope Street (Route 114), south of Chestnut.

Any idea why this was done?

A lot of places have a blue line (or other color) down the center (or near center) to demark the centerline of a parade route.  This may be especially important where the normal double yellow line isn't always at center to make room for left turn pockets.

Here is an example at Orange Grove and Colorado in Pasadena.  The line is painted rose, in honor of the Rose Parade.  Marching bands and floats definitely use the line to help them stay on the center of the streeet, esepcially when making this turn:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1456354,-118.1606316,3a,75y,323.48h,66.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNzM9WlXlnNi2_ntZz2tXFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

empirestate

Quote from: mrsman on September 25, 2016, 07:51:53 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 25, 2016, 03:31:46 AM

Any idea why this was done?

Because this. (And it's worth noting that their center striping was explicitly legislated to be an officially acceptable marking.)

vtk

Quote from: vdeane on September 24, 2016, 10:37:34 PM
I also read top to bottom, even on roads.  Why did someone get the idea to have everyone read bottom to top on pavement, when we don't in any other context?

I read Twitter from bottom to top.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

spooky

The town of Braintree, MA painted the edge lines along Washington Street with alternating segments of red, white and blue a couple years back. They have since been repainted solid white, although once can see remnants of the red and blue below.

cl94

Quote from: vtk on September 26, 2016, 09:33:20 AM
Quote from: vdeane on September 24, 2016, 10:37:34 PM

I read Twitter from bottom to top.

As do I, but they design it that way.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

jrouse

Here in California we may be trying out a white solid/broken striping combo on the 91 express lanes extension.  We had explored it for the 237 express lanes in San Jose but decided to use broken stripe instead.

iPhone

roadfro

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 17, 2016, 12:21:33 PM
Quote from: MarkF on September 16, 2016, 12:53:08 AM
Another thing I've only seen in Hawaii, "shark's teeth" in an area where they want you to slow down, in this case at the end of the improved HI 200 Saddle Road:

I've seen similar, but not quite the same, style markings elsewhere, normally consisting of solid lines perpendicular to the edge of the road that get closer together as you approach a particular point, usually the crest of a blind hill. (...) So they put in these lines because supposedly they were supposed to provide some sort of optical illusion that would cause drivers to slow down.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7531445,-77.278286,3a,75y,194.69h,72.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5zNl1f9p4JNnzOQFRSOlmA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The markings quoted above are indeed speed reduction markings. The style seen in the Google Maps link has been adopted into the national MUTCD (first seen in the 2009 manual, IIRC).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Mr. Matté

Saw a picture of a local government entity in New Jersey that's painting a blue line between the two yellow stripes on their streets to show support for law enforcement.

Here's an article that goes into more detail on this new activity. Much to my surprise, there's more municipalities doing it than I thought (at the time of the OP, only Wayne and Oaklyn had announced their plans) and there are some counties (since they they have jurisdiction of the road in front of the police station in some cases) not allowing it. I thought at the first opposition of a county/NJDOT, all the NJ.com articles would be flooded with the "WHY DO YOU HATE THE POLICE BLUE/ALL LIVES MATTER" and the other unrelated racist comments I've known to expect from that site directed towards the respective highway agency.

Jet380

Not technically lane markings, but I thought I'd post this since it's a similar idea to the 'thin blue line'. Outside Perth's small 'Chinatown' area they've paved the road in spots of red asphalt.

https://goo.gl/PTzkT8
They use the red stuff to pave highway shoulders etc over here, so they must have had some spare  :-D

cl94

I know we've mentioned the I-77 high-visibility markings near Fancy Gap, but I saw this weekend that I-75 got the treatment outside of Chattanooga. Going by GSV, it was redone this summer. Unlike the Virginia case, Tennessee put reflectors along the hash marks in the shoulders. Looks quite nice when driving through at night.

jakeroot

Several intersections along Speedway Blvd in Tucson, AZ have secondary "yield" lines for the left turns.

These are very common in other countries, but I've never seen them used before in the US. I quite like them, as it encourages traffic to wait past the stop line (helpful with leading lefts).

Here's the same sort of lines in South Africa (just reversed):

Brandon

Quote from: jakeroot on October 24, 2016, 03:33:50 PM
Several intersections along Speedway Blvd in Tucson, AZ have secondary "yield" lines for the left turns.

These are very common in other countries, but I've never seen them used before in the US. I quite like them, as it encourages traffic to wait past the stop line (helpful with leading lefts).

You're supposed to pull straight into the intersection.  That's a terrible angle to have people stop at.  It's more likely that one may get pushed into oncoming traffic at that angle if hit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

cbeach40

Quote from: Brandon on October 26, 2016, 06:48:07 AM

You're supposed to pull straight into the intersection.  That's a terrible angle to have people stop at.  It's more likely that one may get pushed into oncoming traffic at that angle if hit.

Hey, gotta make up for their lousy median design somehow. Why not make it worse?   :banghead:
and waterrrrrrr!

kphoger

I remember racing another driver from A to B in Chicago rush-hour traffic on city streets. The deciding factor was the ability to turn left without an arrow.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Otto Yamamoto

NYC uses double white lines to discourage crossing lanes on one way roads.

XT1585

vdeane

Pretty sure changing lanes across a double white is illegal under NYS law.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

coatimundi

Quote from: vdeane on October 26, 2016, 08:27:00 PM

I think it's illegal in most places.

cl94

Quote from: coatimundi on October 26, 2016, 09:03:23 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 26, 2016, 08:27:00 PM

I think it's illegal in most places.

It's illegal everywhere per MUTCD.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Brandon on October 26, 2016, 06:48:07 AM

This.  Never wait to make a left turn with your car facing at a diagonal, in case someone hits you from behind.  And in response to more recent attempts at refutation:  Fender benders occur at a much greater incidence than some guy coming from the straight lane and hitting you at an angle.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.