News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Boring interstate endings

Started by RobbieL2415, May 22, 2017, 09:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 23, 2017, 07:56:01 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 23, 2017, 03:06:06 PM
What would constitute an "exciting" interstate ending? A big interchange? That doesn't seem that interesting to me. After all, there's big interchanges all over the place.
I kinda think the Downtown Chicago I-290 (IL)/Eisenhower Expressway ending is pretty exciting -- the Jane Byrne Circle Interchange with I-90/94, then going through the Old Post Office Building, then the Draw Bridge, then the exit to Lower Wacker Drive (and if you take it, driving under Downtown Chicago), or continuing onto the transition to the Congress Parkway, 1 block south of the South End of the Loop, ultimately Terminating at Buckingham Fountain and Grant Park -- of course I-290 stops about a Mile before the Fountain and Park as that last stretch is the Congress Parkway

Now, the opposite end of I-290 (IL)/Eisenhower Expressway Extension, is pretty boring. If you didn't know it, or paying attention to the "End I-290" marker, you wouldn't even know you weren't on an Interstate anymore, as you continue onto the already built IL-53 Freeway up from I-90 to Lake/Cook Road. Its not a boring area at all, with Woodfield Mall and only a few miles West of ORD, but the end of the Interstate is completely unremarkable
I-80's ending in San Francisco also seems exciting.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SteveG1988

Interstate 57 in MO, cross under I-55, you're on the US 60 4 lane divided. 5 mph speed limit drop. Cloverleaf for I-55. Textbook boring.

I276, road just continues on without it. Western end it just becomes i76 without much fanfare as you cross over the valley forge ramps. Eastern end it just ends without any notification, you don't know if it even enters NJ, of if it ends at the bridge.

I59/I12: Southern end/eastern end, interesting because it is also the start of I-12, and the end of I-59, but otherwise just a "Continue on i-10 to new orleans" Situation.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

plain

I-40 in Wilmington has got to be the lamest I've ever seen
Newark born, Richmond bred

jaehak

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 23, 2017, 09:25:45 PM

I never liked that one. One of the top 5 roads in the country, and suddenly you're just on South 101 with no fanfare whatsoever.

kurumi

Not trying to mock anyone -- but what sort of fanfare would you want to see for a major interstate ending?

Something like a BGS reading "I-70 ends here / length n,nnn miles / from Cove Fort, Utah"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jaehak on May 24, 2017, 11:36:25 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 23, 2017, 09:25:45 PM

I never liked that one. One of the top 5 roads in the country, and suddenly you're just on South 101 with no fanfare whatsoever.
I was talking about the bay bridge.

sparker

In CA, the west end of I-105 is somewhat boring -- emptying, as it does, onto Imperial Highway west of CA 1.  The mutual southern end points of I-280 & I-680 would be terminally (yeah, I know, bad pun!) boring if not for the confusion it causes with folks not paying attention or cognizant of what's happening:  Shit -- I was heading south and now I'm heading north?  WTF?  And along that vein, the north end of I-680 was historically boring -- no "End" signage was ever posted; one just coasted out onto I-80 -- but now that the interchange is being revamped, maybe it'll get a bit more interesting! 

Jmiles32

I think I-64's "eastern" end is pretty boring. After traveling from Wentzville, Missouri across the Midwest, over the Appalachian mountains, and crossing the James River into Norfolk, Virginia on the cool bridge tunnel, why let I-264 be the one to reach the beach? Instead I-64 just does this weird cul-d-sac thing and ends at a rather common T interchange at I-264 and I-664 near Bower's Hill.   
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

CNGL-Leudimin

I may add to my plans an Interstate along OR 212 from I-205 to US 26 just to get a "Boring" Interstate ending :bigass:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 22, 2017, 11:53:14 PM
I-295 (MA): North end looks like it can continue straight, but jersey barriers force you to turn right onto I-95 North loop ramp.

That ramp would be anti-climatic except for one thing.  As of late 2015, the loop ramp from I-295 north to I-95 north - which is a compound curve that shrinks in radius as you traverse it - had the second highest rate of truck rollovers annually in Massachusetts.  At the time, the ramp with the highest rate was the ramp from I-95 south to I-295 south, although that may have changed since they reconstructed the ramp.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Bickendan on May 22, 2017, 09:54:16 PM
I-35 in Duluth.

My bias is well known, but I think it's kind of exciting driving right on the lakeshore and then inclining upwards to spill onto MN 61 with a great lake view below.

Also since the route ends at a stoplight I've done the "Mississippi headwater" walk across the beginning of I-35 before. Can't do that with many Interstates ;)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

I-84 in Mass also ends boringly.

RobbieL2415

I don't really count Interstates that multiplex existing routes on Interstate-standard bypasses as boring, such as I-587 (NY) or I-393 (NH).

JJBers

I can think of quite a few:

I-384 East End: Merges into US 6/US 44
At least the scenery around is not so boring.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

RobbieL2415

Here's a neat little category, and one I would call boring:  Interstates that end at an intersection or become a surface street but have no interchange with another interstate.

I-35, Brownsville, Tx.  Wyes off onto San Dario Ave. just before the border

I-19, Nogales, AZ.  Ends at an intersection where the side streets are controlled by stop signs.  It's also probably the only Interstate to end at its Business route.

I-78, Hoboken, NJ.  This one everybody knows.  Signed and dumped onto surface streets leading to the Holland Tunnel with signalized intersections and with turns permitted.

I-35, Duluth, MN.  Ends at MN 61.

ilpt4u

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 24, 2017, 11:15:38 PM
Here's a neat little category, and one I would call boring:  Interstates that end at an intersection or become a surface street but have no interchange with another interstate.
Would the north end of I-172 apply, with the final interchange a diamond with US-24 before it ends onto the IL-336 expressway? Not sure if a Rural 4-Lane Divided Expressway constitutes a "Surface Street"

The entire route, is part of the IL/MO-110 CKC Expressway

RobbieL2415

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 24, 2017, 11:32:42 PM
Would the north end of I-172 apply, with the final interchange a diamond with US-24 before it ends onto the IL-336 expressway? Not sure if a Rural 4-Lane Divided Expressway constitutes a "Surface Street"

The entire route, is part of the IL/MO-110 CKC Expressway
It can have an interchange with another Interstate but it cannot end at that interchange. 

amroad17

The western I-76 ending at I-80 in Nowhere, Nebraska.
I-510 south outside of New Orleans.

Historical ones...
    - I-99's ending in Bald Eagle, PA (Exit 52)
    - I-66 west of Marshall, VA (began at some random point west of Marshall and ended on the other side of Delaplaine at some random      point--it went for three miles, but they were rather boring endings)
    - I-64's ending at Sam Black Church (out in the middle of Nowhere, WV highlands--all that was there was an exit to US 60 and a bridge over what would be I-64's westward extension to Beckley, 10-15 years down the road)
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

sparker

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 24, 2017, 06:12:25 PM
I may add to my plans an Interstate along OR 212 from I-205 to US 26 just to get a "Boring" Interstate ending :bigass:.

IIRC, a couple of Fictional posters may have had I-11 eventually pouring out into greater PDX via US 26; if 212 eventually becomes a realigned 26, that may take care of your wish!  BTW Boring, Oregon is known locally for one thing (or at least it was back when I was living in Portland in the '90's) -- a composite country tavern/biker bar/strip club that had more parking-lot fights than any other locale in greater PDX!  Took a series of seminars about community policing when I was in grad school up there and did a couple of "ride-alongs" with the county sheriff's office -- and actually witnessed what must have been a 8-to-10-person free-for-all brawl outside the club, ironically named "Boring Tavern"!  Deputies broke it up before too many cars got damaged.  So Boring wasn't that Boring after all!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: sparker on May 25, 2017, 01:34:09 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 24, 2017, 06:12:25 PM

IIRC, a couple of Fictional posters may have had I-11 eventually pouring out into greater PDX via US 26; if 212 eventually becomes a realigned 26, that may take care of your wish!  BTW Boring, Oregon is known locally for one thing (or at least it was back when I was living in Portland in the '90's) -- a composite country tavern/biker bar/strip club that had more parking-lot fights than any other locale in greater PDX!  Took a series of seminars about community policing when I was in grad school up there and did a couple of "ride-alongs" with the county sheriff's office -- and actually witnessed what must have been a 8-to-10-person free-for-all brawl outside the club, ironically named "Boring Tavern"!  Deputies broke it up before too many cars got damaged.  So Boring wasn't that Boring after all!
I actually have I-11 terminate at Canada in eastern Washington.

Mr. ENC

Quote from: plain on May 24, 2017, 09:59:46 AM
I-40 in Wilmington has got to be the lamest I've ever seen

Came in here to say this. Literally just dumps you on a 6 lane US 117 and you still have to drive 10+ minutes (assuming you didn't take I-140/US421) to get to downtown if traffic ain't bad. This is an example of a city tat needs an interstate or limited access freeway going through it because of all the traffic. At least extend 40 to Wrightsville Beach a la Virginia Beach. 
=

JJBers

Quote from: JJBers on May 24, 2017, 10:55:27 PM
I can think of quite a few:

I-384 East End: Merges into US 6/US 44
At least the scenery around is not so boring.
And there is a pretty nice trail around.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

bzakharin

I-78, Hoboken, NJ.  This one everybody knows.  Signed and dumped onto surface streets leading to the Holland Tunnel with signalized intersections and with turns permitted.
It doesn't end there, though (though maybe it should). Those surface streets are part of I-78. It does end on surface streets of Manhattan as I already mentioned.

catsynth

Actually, I'd say the ones that just fizzle out, e.g., I-95 in Miami, etc., are the most interesting.

I-94 western terminus at I-90 was boring and conventional, by comparison.
http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.