News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Trees/shrubs covering up signs

Started by txstateends, July 02, 2017, 11:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

I'm starting to see more and more examples of trees or shrubs covering up (or at least partially blocking) signs.  I'm not sure how much of this is growth after a sign is placed, and how much might be sign placement after a plant is in the vicinity.  I'm not really bothered by this myself, but how often would obstructed signage be a problem for others unfamiliar with an area?  Either DOT reps don't care, DOT employees don't check things like this regularly, or something.

TX 360, south of DFW Airport
https://goo.gl/maps/rT7TeB8XA612

Commerce/Harwood, downtown Dallas
https://goo.gl/maps/K9B5Qf3XMET2

Preston Rd. (TX 289) north of Belt Line, north Dallas
https://goo.gl/maps/hNz2GWSBCL82

Inwood/Walnut Hill, north Dallas
(the GSV is of the almost-gone round green Dallas North Tollway sign version, but the current blue-white rectangular version is exactly in the same spot and arrangement)
https://goo.gl/maps/WZ1iGEMsmpp

\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

jeffandnicole

In places like the northeast where trees and weeds grow like, well, weeds, this is a very common problem.

txstateends

I meant to add that the Trinity-FAA BGS on TX 360 has since gotten to at least halfway covered up, if not more.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

JJBers

Easy, here's US 6:

CC 2.0 JJBers (Me)
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Brian556

When trees touch signs, the wind rubs them against the sign, causing damage

Brian556

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

JJBers

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

amroad17

^ I believe this is a sign NE2 wants covered up by a tree or shrub!  :-D

Anyway, there are two mileage signs along I-74 EB northwest of Cincinnati that are obstructed by trees at this posting.  Branches and shrubbery are covering up a  Cincinnati  11  sign and a  Cincinnati   8  sign.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

NE2

There's a shrub at the bottom.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Eth

It's a common problem in Georgia, too.

MNHighwayMan

I came across this in Des Moines, August 2014:

I reported it to the city, where after a couple of weeks they cut it down. That wasn't enough, because the sucker has since grown back. The city takes a far more proactive approach whenever I report obscured stop signs to them, though.

davewiecking

Quote from: NE2 on July 03, 2017, 03:31:37 AM
There's a shrub at the bottom.
Good one! Took me a few seconds...

7/8

This one is on I-94 west of Ann Arbor, MI

PHLBOS

Not the best representation nor GSV; but this BGS gantry has since (GSV is from Nov. 2016) been overtaken by the adjacent shrubbery to a point where the growth now almost covers most of the I-476 North BGS and is starting to creep up upon its I-476 companion BGS.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

JJBers

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

oscar

I don't have examples, but often I find tree branches covering part of a sign I want to photograph. Sometimes I've been able to push the offending foliage away from or behind the sign, so I could get my shot. The hiking stick I often have with me on the road comes in handy for that, though not much help with even a ground-mounted BGS.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

SectorZ

Quote from: JJBers on July 03, 2017, 12:16:53 PM
This counts

CC 2.0 JJBers

What does it look like from the actual road the sign is on?

hbelkins

Just got home from a trip that took me to Ohio, West Virginia and Virginia. Saw more examples of this than I can recall offhand.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

wanderer2575

Quote from: 7/8 on July 03, 2017, 10:47:16 AM
This one is on I-94 west of Ann Arbor, MI

What's really stupid about this one is that it replaced an unobstructed bridge-mounted sign:

csw

You should rename this thread "I-70 between Terre Haute and Indianapolis"

amroad17

Many states' DOTs are getting rid of the bridge-mounted signs and erecting ground-mounted signs near those bridges.  Unfortunately, they do not clear the overhanging branches or trees that may be in the way.  I mean, you can see the above Exit 153 sign in late fall through early spring with no issue, however, once the leaves come back...

DOTs need to pay attention to this.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

mrsman

Quote from: JJBers on July 03, 2017, 02:01:51 AM
Quote from: NE2 on July 03, 2017, 01:55:48 AM

Well, we got one without the H.
We can pretty much guarantee that we won't see a similar sign in NY for our current president.

wanderer2575

Quote from: amroad17 on July 05, 2017, 11:04:28 PM
Many states' DOTs are getting rid of the bridge-mounted signs and erecting ground-mounted signs near those bridges. 

Michigan isn't one of them -- plenty of new signs are still being mounted to bridges -- which is what makes the above example so exasperating.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.