News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unconventional street suffix abbreviations on signs

Started by Pink Jazz, November 17, 2014, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: UCFKnights on December 06, 2014, 08:26:07 PM
UCF's campus uses some weird street name signs, for example, Parking Garage ENT:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6056307,-81.2005894,3a,15y,45.3h,103.27t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1s376qI3sXIfgDHeUSwbsLAQ!2e0!3e5

ENT for "Entrance" I guess works.

OT: Very interesting that the lighted street name sign hangs from a separate pole *below* the main mast arm. In Nevada, if the lighted SNS doesn't hang from the main mast arm itself, then it is mounted on a separate pole above the mast arm (except in Henderson, where the newer SNSs attach directly to the mast pole.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Pete from Boston

Not a suffix, but the Mass Pike VMS in Charlton periodically gives motorists info about "I/C 9" (meaning "interchange").  If I had to guess, I would suppose that 70% of people get past this sign without figuring out what that means.  But maybe I underestimate people.

sandwalk

There a street named "Jackson Street Extension" in my hometown.  The road signs spell out "Jackson" and abbreviate "Street Extension."

Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/HBGIe

Also, there are a few other unconventionally suffixed streets in the area, including "Sycamore Line," "Anderson Annex" and "Terry Arcade."  Also, there are a few cases of two-suffix streets, including "Shady Lane Drive" and "Lovers Lane Road" (most of the locals drop the second suffix).

roadfro

Quote from: sandwalk on December 09, 2014, 01:53:03 PM
There a street named "Jackson Street Extension" in my hometown.  The road signs spell out "Jackson" and abbreviate "Street Extension."

Well, the easy fix there is to just rename it "Jackson Street". Looking at the map, it's not even an extension of the street--it's actually a separate section.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

talllguy

In Baltimore County we have a list of allowable suffixes:

Actual Road TypeAbbreviated Road Type
AvenueAVE
BoulevardBLVD
CircleCIR
CourtCT
DaleDALE (not abbreviated)
DriveDR
GarthGARTH (not abbreviated)
GreenGRN
HighwayHWY
LaneLN
LoopLOOP (not abbreviated)
ParkwayPKWY
PathPATH (not abbreviated)
PikePIKE (not abbreviated)
PlacePL
PlazaPLZ
RoadRD
StreetST
StationSTA
SquareSQ
TerraceTER
TrailTRL   (Except for "Old Trail" which is to be spelled as Old Trail, all upper/lower case with no road type)
WalkWALK (not abbreviated)
WayWAY (not abbreviated)

Pete from Boston

freebrickproductions

We have a Garth Road here in Huntsville, but I believe it is just named after a person.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

talllguy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 10, 2014, 11:58:33 AM
Garth?

Ha, its a local thing. Steve asked me the same thing. It is just another way to suffix a cul de sac. Here's an example.

Zeffy

What is a DALE? I've never heard of that suffix in my life.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

talllguy

Quote from: Zeffy on December 10, 2014, 12:22:28 PM
What is a DALE? I've never heard of that suffix in my life.
It is like a valley or a vale. We have just one in the county. Here it is signed with clearview.

"Dale." Merriam-Webster.com. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2014. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dale>.

riiga

Must be a word of Germanic roots, it's very similar to the Swedish "dal" with the same meaning as listed.

cjk374

Quote from: talllguy on December 10, 2014, 12:17:49 PM
Garth?

Ha, its a local thing. Steve asked me the same thing. It is just another way to suffix a cul de sac. Here's an example.

:eyebrow:  That's the strangest street suffix I have ever seen or heard of.   :crazy:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

NE2

Quote from: cjk374 on December 10, 2014, 02:32:46 PM
:eyebrow:  That's the strangest street suffix I have ever seen or heard of.   :crazy:
Stravenue.

PS: Garth is also used in Ireland and the UK, and not always for a strict dead-end. Example.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Winchester, Ky. (or more precisely, a subdivision outside the city limits) has streets named Shalamar Rue and Lamond Ruelle.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

empirestate

Quote from: talllguy on December 10, 2014, 09:52:26 AM

TrailTRL   (Except for "Old Trail" which is to be spelled as Old Trail, all upper/lower case with no road type)

Well, yes, because "Trail" is the nominative part of the name, not the descriptive suffix, and "Old" is a modifier like "East" or "West". This has come up before...

UCFKnights

Quote from: roadfro on December 08, 2014, 04:12:13 AM
Quote from: UCFKnights on December 06, 2014, 08:26:07 PM
UCF's campus uses some weird street name signs, for example, Parking Garage ENT:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6056307,-81.2005894,3a,15y,45.3h,103.27t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1s376qI3sXIfgDHeUSwbsLAQ!2e0!3e5

ENT for "Entrance" I guess works.

OT: Very interesting that the lighted street name sign hangs from a separate pole *below* the main mast arm. In Nevada, if the lighted SNS doesn't hang from the main mast arm itself, then it is mounted on a separate pole above the mast arm (except in Henderson, where the newer SNSs attach directly to the mast pole.
They do that all over Orlando, I have no idea why. I prefer it from the main mast arm as its often easier to see and closer to the normal line of sight.

SignGeek101

Quote from: mjb2002 on November 24, 2014, 03:09:53 AM
I've seen BD used as a suffix  for Boulevard on older signs before.

A newer one where I live (although it is for the French prefix rather than the English):

GMSV: http://goo.gl/maps/ecjQ8

Bruce

Downtown Seattle's 2nd Avenue Extension South, which crosses part of the north-south grid as an extension of the diagonal downtown grid.

kphoger

Quote from: Bruce on April 11, 2019, 03:44:48 AM
Downtown Seattle's 2nd Avenue Extension South, which crosses part of the north-south grid as an extension of the diagonal downtown grid.

The Ext generic is also used in Illinois along 161 Extension, which is a county road that runs between Cisne and Route 37.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

Leavenworth, WA is a Bavarian-themed mountain village, so they use German street names where they can.

Weg means "Path", Strasse (actually Straße) is "Street", Allee is "Avenue"

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 30, 2019, 05:52:04 PM
Weg means "Path", Strasse (actually Straße) is "Street", Allee is "Avenue"

Do you know if 'Alpen Strasse' and 'Park Strasse' are actually known as "9th St" and "Front St", respectively? Or if those are just anglicised terms for those streets to make it easier for tourists.

Seems odd to have two street names for the same direction.

tdindy88

I'm curious why that town would have two different names instead of just using the German names of the actual English named streets. In Oldenburg, Indiana they also use German on their street signs but the names are just the German translations of the actual street names. I for one love the sound of "Landstrasse 229".

https://goo.gl/maps/Zvpuv32hgzpPhyPd9

jbnv

Quote from: talllguy on December 10, 2014, 12:17:49 PM
Garth?

Note to self: Develop subdivision. Name a cul-de-sac "Party On Garth."
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.