News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

aaroads.com topics in 1964

Started by kphoger, October 31, 2017, 01:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Eisenhower's Grand Plan Making Progress; New Segment Opened
California to Decommission Almost All US Highways
California to Postmile All Routes
Could There Be Another Cuban Missile Crisis?
Route of Kennedy's Motorcade in Dallas

Mapmikey

Gas Station maps %^$&ing suck right now

What's the oldest ford still in use in your state?

Which temporary endpoint of I-70 looks better?

Has anyone traveled US 94?

Interstate shields missing the state name

Longest three-lane route in your state

US71

Missouri Hwy Dept  building new alignment of US 71 from Pineville to Anderson. Will Pineville to Lanagan revert to SR 88?

SR 540 at Ft Smith being extended, to become I-540

Will AHD ever build an expressway from Ft Smith to Fayetteville?

AHD contemplating Fayetteville bypass.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Are US Routes relevant with Interstates?   The California Division of Highways says no.

Joe The Dragon

something about Toll-US-41 (IL) parts opening

Takumi

1964 World Series: is this the end of the Yankees' dynasty? (Spoiler alert: yes)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Big John

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 31, 2017, 09:03:06 PM
Gas Station maps %^$&ing suck right now

Trap Streets and Paper Towns that flummox you

jeffandnicole

Why are they building more highways?  We're going to have flying cars by the 1980's anyway.

epzik8

"Anyone tried out the new stretch of I-95 from Baltimore to Wilmington yet? It really beats Route 40 traffic."
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Max Rockatansky

The AFL signs $36,000,000 television contract with NBC, rumors of NFL merger continue to swirl.

Automaker Pontiac installs 389 inside of mid-sized Tempest and calls it the "Gran Turismo Omologato."  Does this herald a new era in automotive or has Pontiac brass taken things too far?

US71

What do you think of Cities Service new logo?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 31, 2017, 07:02:48 PMDoes anyone actually like this new Eisenhower system thing? 10 years and no completion.
The Interstate Highway Act wasn't signed into law until 1956; so in '64, the system was only 8 years old not 10.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ekt8750

Quote from: Takumi on October 31, 2017, 11:10:40 PM
1964 World Series: is this the end of the Yankees' dynasty? (Spoiler alert: yes)

And to add to that, how the hell did the Phillies blow that 7 game lead a the end of the season?

Takumi

Quote from: ekt8750 on November 01, 2017, 10:12:26 AM
Quote from: Takumi on October 31, 2017, 11:10:40 PM

And to add to that, how the hell did the Phillies blow that 7 game lead a the end of the season?
Also, Barry Bonds born
(Obscure Simpsons reference)

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kurumi

Good year for CT roads: over 30 miles of new freeway; renumbering from 1961 reclassification winding down. The '60s have been great for highway construction and I don't see any sign of slowing down.

I-95 is now completed in CT! I was worried we'd be the last state to finish our portion :-) Just kidding, but I expect within 10 years you'll be able to drive I-95 without stopping from Maine to Miami.

CT 52: it's great to have a route number for that stretch of Turnpike, and it's eventually going to connect to I-90 in MA! Too bad CT 12 won't get signed on it... no 12 freeway as originally planned. But, spitballing here, how about an Interstate number once it's done? 490 is available.

How about a late 1965 Hartford meet? By then, there will be new sections of I-84, I-91, and the "Mixmaster" in E. Hartford open to traffic. (But there's so much going on here, we could have a meet every year! The state is so pro-highway, it's a great place for a roadgeek to live!)

Does anyone have one of the new PDP-8 machines from DEC? They're "only" $18,000 but that's way less than a 360. Wondering how well aaroads runs on it. Not being able to post would be a dealbreaker.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jeffandnicole

This forum is getting too expensive for me.  Every time I send a response, I have to write the same thing dozens of times, use up boxes of envelopes, and spend 5 cents on each stamp.

I bet NE2 is rich though.  I laugh when I open up his mailing just to see "Yawn".

Takumi

Has anyone traveled the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel yet?

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 01, 2017, 11:21:07 AM
This forum is getting too expensive for me.  Every time I send a response, I have to write the same thing dozens of times, use up boxes of envelopes, and spend 5 cents on each stamp.

I bet NE2 is rich though.  I laugh when I open up his mailing just to see "Yawn".

Looking for a new pigeonhole desk and letter opener...any favorites?

CNGL-Leudimin

Too bad the AASH(T)O minutes archive at Wikipedia only goes back to 1967. Otherwise I would have proposed an AASHO meeting thread.

Anyway, I'm sure I'd have ranted at US 6 being truncated to Bishop, it should have remained as far as Santa Clarita (I-5 junction). As well as the US 99 elimination.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Takumi on November 01, 2017, 11:31:16 AM
Has anyone traveled the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel yet?

No, but I have driven the new Bonner Bridge to go to Cape Hatteras.  I'm so glad the Southern Outer Banks now has an indestructible and reliable link to the rest of the world...

jp the roadgeek

Boy, that Robert Moses has some great plans in the works for transportation in the NYC area.  That Mid-Manhattan Expressway will make it so much easier for traffic to get across town without all those traffic lights, and it will be great to see I-495 connect to its parent.  And I can't wait till I-78 is finally finished from the Holland Tunnel to Throgs Neck.  Make it a lot easier for people from Jersey, Lower Manhattan, and Brooklyn to get to Idlewild (oh, I forgot they call it JFK now).

I can't wait until later this year when you can finally drive to Staten Island without having to drive to Jersey to get there. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

Anyone notice how they left room to the west of I-5, and room to the east of I-95?  I wonder if US 101 will become I-1, and the Garden State Parkway will become I-99.  It'll be really groovy if they build a bridge and tunnel over the Delaware Bay to connect with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel. 

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 01, 2017, 03:41:33 PMIt'll be really groovy if they build a bridge and tunnel over the Delaware Bay to connect with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel.

Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel Set to Open This April
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.