News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Guerrilla Sign Modifications- 110 Freeway True Story

Started by architect77, November 19, 2017, 10:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

architect77

Y'all may already know this story, but I'm reading it for the first time. It happened in 2001 right after I left LA and returned to live on the East Coast.

It's hilarious and rewarding to this guy that his changes were made permanent:

http://ankrom.org/freeway_signs.html

Max Rockatansky

What's even more amusing is the effort that went into replicating a button-copy shield.  I'd say just consult your local Caltrans District but not all of them are the most receptive to signage errors being called out. 

roadman

Quote from: architect77 on November 19, 2017, 10:51:49 AM
Y'all may already know this story, but I'm reading it for the first time. It happened in 2001 right after I left LA and returned to live on the East Coast.

It's hilarious and rewarding to this guy that his changes were made permanent:

http://ankrom.org/freeway_signs.html
One of the things I've always liked about this story is that it took almost three months for Caltrans to notice the sign had been modified.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

theroadwayone

Scott5114

I remember reading stories of Jake doing a number of these (which he termed "achieving an erection", in true Jake form), although, it being Jake, the standards books he followed were rarely newer than 1948. I don't know how many of them are still around.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.