What is the worst maintained interstate?

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 08, 2017, 10:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

I would nominate I-70 in eastern Pennsylvania.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

7/8

Stretches of interstate that I thought were in bad shape:
- I-70 east of Indianapolis (in July)
- I-95 north of Savnnah, GA (in August)
- I-69 west of Port Huron, MI (in November)
- Georgia had chunks of tires on the shoulders and even in the lanes in many spots back in August (both I-75 and I-95)

pianocello

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 08, 2017, 10:50:43 PM

If I remember correctly from when I drove that stretch in summer 2016, the maintenance was fine. It was just the initial narrow construction of the road that was godawful.

I've heard people say that some of the Interstates in Atlanta are poorly maintained, but I can't back that up from experience.
As for Interstates I've been on, I-69 along the north side of Lansing, MI, particularly in the WB direction, seems to have been in subpar shape for a while.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Max Rockatansky

I-4 was pretty bad before the Ultimate project began.  I-10 in the Gila Reservation is infamously bad and way too damn under capacity with four lanes.  I-5 in the Central Valley isn't in the best shape either, lots of rough surfaces.

Brandon

Pick an IDOT maintained interstate, any IDOT maintained interstate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Hurricane Rex

I nominate any Portland freeway that isn't I 205.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Brian556

I-59 in northern Alabama before it was reconstructed. The right lane was undrivable due to huge deep base failures.

billpa

Did you mean 78?
If not,  I'd like to put it into nomination.

SM-T230NU

SD Mapman

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

sparker

Try I-5 (CA) from just south of the Oregon state line down to the Anderson grade (right after the Klamath River bridge).  Cracked concrete slabs, lots of patches, and the material they use between the slabs are often high ridges.  It's almost a pleasure to have to stop at the ag inspection station along this stretch!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: pianocello on December 08, 2017, 11:46:48 PM

If I remember correctly from when I drove that stretch in summer 2016, the maintenance was fine. It was just the initial narrow construction of the road that was godawful.

I've heard people say that some of the Interstates in Atlanta are poorly maintained, but I can't back that up from experience.
As for Interstates I've been on, I-69 along the north side of Lansing, MI, particularly in the WB direction, seems to have been in subpar shape for a while.
Oops, meant west of the turnpike.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

csw

Quote from: Brandon on December 09, 2017, 12:28:09 AM
Hey now, I-57 south of Mt Vernon is in pretty good shape.

hbelkins

Quote from: billpa on December 09, 2017, 11:51:51 AM
Did you mean 78?

SM-T230NU

If we're talking about design, I have absolutely no issues with I-78, unlike a whole lot of people. I-70 between Washington and New Stanton, however...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: csw on December 09, 2017, 06:23:42 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 09, 2017, 12:28:09 AM

Hey now, I-57 south of Mt Vernon is in pretty good shape.

A rarity.  I-55 in Will County or I-80 through the same is more typical.  How many other interstates routinely suffer holes in bridges?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Bickendan

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 09, 2017, 03:13:38 AM
I dunno... the US 30 freeway between Yeon Ave and I-405's in good shape.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Bickendan on December 09, 2017, 11:38:31 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 09, 2017, 03:13:38 AM
I dunno... the US 30 freeway between Yeon Ave and I-405's in good shape.

That freeway is in decent shape. I should've worded what I said initially to Portland's interstates because that is what the thread was about. My bad. Also, I have a tendency to forget there is a freeway there (I avoid downtown Portland except for U.S outdoor store).

Running till I die.

billpa

Quote from: hbelkins on December 09, 2017, 09:39:05 PM
Quote from: billpa on December 09, 2017, 11:51:51 AM
Did you mean 78?

SM-T230NU

If we're talking about design, I have absolutely no issues with I-78, unlike a whole lot of people. I-70 between Washington and New Stanton, however...
Not design, condition. The section from about Hamburg to the Lehigh Valley is pretty awful.

SM-T230NU

texaskdog

Two years ago we took I-35 north from OKC....just north of town the freeway was so bad I thought I had a flat tire and pulled over.  Last year, a full year later, the same thing happened.  I understand that OK does not take good care of their roads but this is an interstate right in the city!!

Avalanchez71

I-70 between Saint Louis and Kansas City used to be awful.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

I-475 in Flint, Michigan

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

Super Mateo

The Mississippi River bridge on I-55 was just plain frightening last time I drove across it.  It looks like it had some work done to fix it sometime in the last five years.  That would have been my answer years ago.  Now, it's pretty much anything in Chicago.

Hurricane Rex

Not really due to Engineering, but the first 33 miles of I-90 always seems to have at least one section under construction. I think that the weather there makes a big dent on that road making it hard to maintain. Parts of it feels bumpy as well more than usual.

Running till I die.

Flint1979

Also I-69 in Flint, Michigan. The roads are complete crap in Genesee County. I drove on I-475 and I-69 tonight and can't figure out which one's worse.

ekt8750

I-195 in NJ has some of the worst road surface I've ever driven on.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.