What is the worst maintained interstate?

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 08, 2017, 10:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

Quote from: kphoger on December 18, 2017, 03:15:38 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on December 18, 2017, 11:04:09 AM
Quote from: Brandon on December 09, 2017, 12:28:09 AM
Pick an IDOT maintained interstate, any IDOT maintained interstate.

Illinois interstates are the worst.  But only the IDOT ones.

Again, what's wrong with I-64 across Illinois?

For a while I-64 in Clinton County was awful. The pavement was crumbling to dust. Lane makings were completely worn away.

leroy217

Quote from: Brandon on December 09, 2017, 09:49:45 PM
Quote from: csw on December 09, 2017, 06:23:42 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 09, 2017, 12:28:09 AM
Pick an IDOT maintained interstate, any IDOT maintained interstate.

Hey now, I-57 south of Mt Vernon is in pretty good shape.

A rarity.  I-55 in Will County or I-80 through the same is more typical.  How many other interstates routinely suffer holes in bridges?

I-80 is on the verge of a multimillion dollar overhaul....patience young grasshopper!!

leroy217

I would nominate I-64/55 in St.Louis....The worst I've ever been on!!

CapeCodder

Quote from: leroy217 on January 23, 2018, 05:31:18 PM
I would nominate I-64/55 in St.Louis....The worst I've ever been on!!

The PSB or 55/64 east of the bridge itself in E. St. Louis?

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on January 02, 2018, 04:54:58 PM
Can't build on a reservation without approval of the tribe. The tribe is holding back highway repairs as retribution for natives no longer having a monopoly on gambling in the state.

Why would repairing existing infrastructure be considered "building?" The Thruway Authority ought to go out there with armed guards and do what needs to be done, misguided tribal sentiments notwithstanding.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on January 27, 2018, 03:26:23 PM
Can't build on a reservation without approval of the tribe. The tribe is holding back highway repairs as retribution for natives no longer having a monopoly on gambling in the state.

Why would repairing existing infrastructure be considered "building?" The Thruway Authority ought to go out there with armed guards and do what needs to be done, misguided tribal sentiments notwithstanding.
Last time they tried that, the tribe blocked the highway with burning tires.

So, send in the army and create martyrs?  Fuhgettaboutit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on January 27, 2018, 04:31:27 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 27, 2018, 03:26:23 PM

Last time they tried that, the tribe blocked the highway with burning tires.

So, send in the army and create martyrs?  Fuhgettaboutit.

Yeah, the state does not have a good relationship with the tribes. One of the other tribes shot down a state police helicopter a while back because they and the Border Patrol were conducting unauthorized searches on their reservation.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cpzilliacus

Worst Interstates I have driven in the past 10-or-so years are:

1. I-70 in Pennsylvania. Both the western section between I-79 and New Stanton (the Pennsylvania Turnpike part of I-70 is not as bad by comparison); and from Breezewood to the Maryland border. Mostly because of elderly, creaking and cheap interchange design (and yes, PennDOT has several projects under way on the western part).

2. I-83 in Pennsylvania also has awful  interchanges though a few have been upgraded in recent years, and there's one at PA-124 (Mt. Rose Avenue) that is getting upgraded now.

3. I-78 (again, in Pennsylvania), most of it from I-81 to the end of PennDOT maintenance  has lousy interchange design, poor pavement condition and plenty  of serious truck crashes (due IMO in part to unforgiving PennDOT design).

4.  I-81 north of I-78 in Pennsylvania always seems to have one or two cattle chute work zones and the misery that comes with them, usually on a steep grade.

5.  I-70 through Wheeling, W.Va. and the one-lane each way tunnel (though easy enough to bypass with I-470 (Ohio and West Virginia)).

6.  I-70 in Missouri between the  eastern suburbs of Kansas City and Wentzville. About 180 miles of substandard four lane freeway mostly in need of total reconstruction. 

7. I-95 between Lumberton,  N.C. and Micro (excluding the bypass around Fayetteville).  Pavement is usually fine but the interchanges are dangerously substandard.  Wish NCDOT would spend less money on new "free" freeways and more on  fixing this substandard section of freeway.

8. I-95 in Connecticut especially between the New  York border and I-91 at New Haven.  Much worse than New York's Cross-Bronx Expressway only because it is so much longer.

9. I-83 in Baltimore City, Maryland.  In need of total reconstruction (most of the bridges were re-decked in the 1980's).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

silverback1065

pennsylvania, name an interstate there, it's probably garbage

brycecordry

Quote from: kphoger on December 18, 2017, 04:08:26 PM

My point is that I picked an IDOT-maintained interstate.  I-24 is another excellent one.  As is I-70.  How is I-72 doing these days?

I-72 is doing okay. There are a few sections on the eastern part that are in need of resurfacing, but the Hannibal-Springfield section is in pretty good shape.

But IDOT seems to wait until a stretch of road has gone to pot for a few years before the section is even considered for the five-year plan...completely opposite of MoDOT who seems to resurface the same stretches of major highway over and over for no reason, while letting minor routes to get worse and worse.
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 28, 2018, 10:19:00 PM
pennsylvania, name an interstate there, it's probably garbage

Why? Because you heard it elsewhere?

inkyatari

Quote from: brycecordry on January 28, 2018, 10:39:40 PM

My point is that I picked an IDOT-maintained interstate.  I-24 is another excellent one.  As is I-70.  How is I-72 doing these days?

I-72 is doing okay. There are a few sections on the eastern part that are in need of resurfacing, but the Hannibal-Springfield section is in pretty good shape.

But IDOT seems to wait until a stretch of road has gone to pot for a few years before the section is even considered for the five-year plan...completely opposite of MoDOT who seems to resurface the same stretches of major highway over and over for no reason, while letting minor routes to get worse and worse.

Going on Illinois Interstates, I'd say that I-55 around Joliet - Bolingbrook is the worst maintained right now.

I've bemoaned the rotten job the state did widening it 6 years ago elsewhere.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on January 29, 2018, 09:27:41 AM

Going on Illinois Interstates, I'd say that I-55 around Joliet - Bolingbrook is the worst maintained right now.

It was probably the shittiest job I've ever seen a DOT do to widen a freeway (hell, that could be a new thread by itself - "Shitty Rebuild/Widen Jobs Done By DOTs", betcha IDOT wins that round).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cl94

Quote from: Brandon on January 29, 2018, 11:22:36 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on January 29, 2018, 09:27:41 AM

It was probably the shittiest job I've ever seen a DOT do to widen a freeway (hell, that could be a new thread by itself - "Shitty Rebuild/Widen Jobs Done By DOTs", betcha IDOT wins that round).

Consider that thread made:-D
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Flint1979

After driving on I-69 between M-13 (Exit 123) and I-94 (Exit 38) today I realized how poor of condition this highway is in. And this is the newest Interstate in Michigan, granted it's getting pretty old now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.