News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Modern traffic lights are bland

Started by traffic light guy, December 09, 2017, 12:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

I hate how my state loves to get rid of old equipment. There used to be really cool stuff, such as Crouse-Hinds art decos or eagluxes, sometimes even a 4-Way. Now, the oldest PA has are 1970s-era mast-arm installs, with 12" eagle flatbacks and Crouse-Hinds Type Rs, now those are becoming extinct too! It's really frustrating, If it's still works, keep it up!!!! It really pisses me off how a lot of the good stuff was still up while I was too young to get  pictures of them. Heck, the only reason why I like 12" eagle flatbacks so much, is because that's the oldest my area has left. I see Flickr pictures on everyone else's feed, they got ornamental eagluxes, DW/W peds, hell, even 4-Ways! All my area has is boring McCains. I'd be lucky if I get a 70s era 12" Eagle flatback mast-arm install. I just find new traffic lights to be bland, they all look the same, older setups are very interesting and dynamic. Modern traffic lights  themselves aren't necessarily the problem, I just wish my area would variety it up, I'm tired of seeing at least ten McCain intersections in a row. For God's sake all my area has is mast-arms. Span wires are extinct, and the only area that has pedestals is Philly.

SignGeek101

I feel like I've heard this before...

Things get replaced. No different how button copy signs are replaced with (sometimes poorly done) Clearview (although I guess not anymore but you know what I mean).

traffic light guy

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 09, 2017, 01:11:20 PM
I feel like I've heard this before...

You have, a made a topic like this....about 2 years ago on Highway divides, not this

Scott5114

Careful what you wish for, or you'll get something like the godawful Project 360 signal heads in Downtown OKC.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ian

Unless it's an old 4-way signal that's a staple to the town it's in, the general public (and the local DOT) is not going to care about keeping aged signals in use. People already hate waiting at red lights as it is, and seeing old sun-faded, paint-chipped, eye-sores of signals would add insult to injury. They'd rather see their tax dollars go toward improving all aspects of their road system (including traffic signals), understandably. I know what you're saying as I also like old signals, but no one outside of the hobby really cares.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

DaBigE

Quote from: Ian on December 09, 2017, 02:48:31 PM
Unless it's an old 4-way signal that's a staple to the town it's in, the general public (and the local DOT) is not going to care about keeping aged signals in use. People already hate waiting at red lights as it is, and seeing old sun-faded, paint-chipped, eye-sores of signals would add insult to injury. They'd rather see their tax dollars go toward improving all aspects of their road system (including traffic signals), understandably. I know what you're saying as I also like old signals, but no one outside of the hobby really cares.

^ This. It's like wishing for wig-wags stop disappearing from railroad crossings. Parts break. Parts aren't made anymore. It isn't fiscally responsible to spend more for a custom part to be made just to hang onto a museum piece. Similar could be said for personal automobiles. Any consumer good, really.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

dfnva

Virginia's VDOT has definitely gone on a spree in the last 10-15 years updating traffic signals.

My favorite are signals with large backplates (often LFE, Marbelite, Alusig) installed in the 1980s. Only one assembly with these signals remains in Northern Virginia, but they're still reasonably common around the Richmond suburbs, but more get replaced each year.

What are bland are the (mostly) McCain signals that have been installed by VDOT over the last few years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.