News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I'm very stressed out about signal related stuff

Started by traffic light guy, January 04, 2018, 03:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

Moving on, I was being a bit dramatic, it's not a big deal, if something gets replaced, I have to accept it and move on. There are many places in PA that have old traffic lights

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 25, 2018, 03:24:04 PM
Moving on, I was being a bit dramatic, it's not a big deal, if something gets replaced, I have to accept it and move on. There are many places in PA that have old traffic lights

Did you convince your parents to drive you out to Lower Merion? I see you posted those Flatback signals on your Flickr. Not that I have any idea what a flatback is.

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on February 25, 2018, 06:52:29 PM

Did you convince your parents to drive you out to Lower Merion? I see you posted those Flatback signals on your Flickr. Not that I have any idea what a flatback is.

I made some agreements, don't worry about it

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 25, 2018, 06:53:52 PM

"Don't worry about it"? You made a thread about how stressed out you are, obviously seeking some mental and physical assistance. Now you've suddenly got it all figured out, and tell us not to worry? Fill us in, bud. Don't waste our damn time like that.

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on February 25, 2018, 07:58:09 PM

"Don't worry about it"? You made a thread about how stressed out you are, obviously seeking some mental and physical assistance. Now you've suddenly got it all figured out, and tell us not to worry? Fill us in, bud. Don't waste our damn time like that.

I figured some things out, and I expressed myself to a few people, that's all I have to say.

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 25, 2018, 08:01:27 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 25, 2018, 07:58:09 PM

I figured some things out, and I expressed myself to a few people, that's all I have to say.

traffic light guy

Signal

That sounds exceedingly sketchy...

Scott5114

Quote from: Signal on February 25, 2018, 09:15:36 PM

That sounds exceedingly sketchy...

He donated to John McCain's reelection fund.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

traffic light guy

Now, does anybody know what other sites I can express my traffic signal interest, I need to look for a site that has a lot of signal geeks, not just road guys. Such as a forum (Not highway divides)

Signal man619

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 26, 2018, 09:58:32 PM
Now, does anybody know what other sites I can express my traffic signal interest, I need to look for a site that has a lot of signal geeks, not just road guys. Such as a forum (Not highway divides)

nope..
Cameron

traffic light guy

What did you guys think of my flatback doghouse pictures?

Scott5114

I mean, they look like cool old stoplights, but there's not much else I can say due to lack of knowledge.

How about you start a thread where you educate us on different models of traffic signals and their distinguishing characteristics? I'm sure that's information that lots of us would love to learn, but since it isn't discussed here much haven't had a chance. Without being able to tell a McCain from a flatback it's hard to appreciate the picture.

traffic light guy

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 27, 2018, 02:53:14 AM
I mean, they look like cool old stoplights, but there's not much else I can say due to lack of knowledge.

How about you start a thread where you educate us on different models of traffic signals and their distinguishing characteristics? I'm sure that's information that lots of us would love to learn, but since it isn't discussed here much haven't had a chance. Without being able to tell a McCain from a flatback it's hard to appreciate the picture.

That will be saved for a future topic

Scott5114

Okay, but do realize that until you do that most of us are going to have about as much idea of what you're talking about as if you were posting in Korean.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 27, 2018, 04:47:19 PM
Okay, but do realize that until you do that most of us are going to have about as much idea of what you're talking about as if you were posting in Korean.
Aaaannnndd we just lost half of our N/S Korean users! :-D</sarcasm>
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

traffic light guy

What should I do when everything in my area gets replaced by McCains, which is pretty soon, at the rate of how PA replaces stuff. No exaggeration, EVERY new signal in Philly in the past six years has been a McCain. It's really hard to accept new signals for what they are if I see them all the damn time.

signalman

They will become old one day.  Just have to be patient.

hotdogPi

Quote from: signalman on March 23, 2018, 06:02:40 PM

McCain is not already old? He's 81.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on March 23, 2018, 05:38:57 PM
What should I do when everything in my area gets replaced by McCains, which is pretty soon, at the rate of how PA replaces stuff. No exaggeration, EVERY new signal in Philly in the past six years has been a McCain. It's really hard to accept new signals for what they are if I see them all the damn time.

Keep in touch with local agencies, and see what they do with the old signals. The best you can do is relieve them of the signal, and keep it in a personal collection. They're not going to remain operational forever. The agencies have to replace them eventually.

Quote from: 1 on March 23, 2018, 06:09:19 PM

McCain is not already old? He's 81.

traffic light guy

McCain's will be the last generation of traffic lights, due to self driving cars

basilicon89

I lurk here with alot to add to these traffic signal topics but after reading these posts I am not going to bother....

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on March 23, 2018, 09:35:55 PM

McCain's will be the last generation of traffic lights, due to self driving cars

Not necessarily. McCain is far from the only manufacturer of signals world-wide. It just so happens that many signals installed in North America are McCains. All it takes is for McCain to manufacture a string of unreliable signals for agencies to consider alternative manufacturers. It's just that...that isn't the case. McCains are pretty good signals, if not a bit boring to look at.

Because I rarely pay attention, what other manufacturers operate in North America? McCain appears to be rather dominant these days, but I'm sure others exist, and are more popular in their own areas.

Quote from: basilicon89 on March 23, 2018, 09:50:30 PM
I lurk here with alot to add to these traffic signal topics but after reading these posts I am not going to bother....

Yeah, probably a good idea. This is kind of an odd topic anyway.

traffic light guy

If all the good stuff gets replaced, I'll just go to other states for pictures

traffic light guy

To be fair, Eagle flatbacks probably were the McCains of the 70s

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.