News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Locally famous foods

Started by webny99, January 17, 2018, 10:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21stCenturyRoad

Miami is a huge melting pot of Latin American culture and of cuisine as a result, but I'll simply mention Cuban food.

Many favorite Cuban staples include pastries like the pastelito, and big plates such as vaca frita(fried steak), and desserts like the Tres Leches cake.

The fast-food chain Pollo Tropical has been successful bringing this cuisine to other parts of the country, and it is still expanding.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

US71

Quote from: Rothman on January 23, 2018, 02:12:30 PM

Quote from: formulanone on January 23, 2018, 01:38:23 PM
Key Lime Pie is usually found only in Florida.

Most diners I have eaten at have carried Key Lime Pie (if not all).  Yes, it was invented down there, but it is certainly common elsewhere.

But does it taste the same?

BTW: cheese dip is reported to be from Arkansas :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on January 23, 2018, 01:01:42 PM
Now there's a legit tangent, and potentially even a thread of its own: foods that intentionally sound disgusting. In the case of a trash (garbage, whatever) plate, it is intentional, and it looks a bit rough too. Still delicious though.

Or local foods that are different than what people imagine.

A local-to-Philly favorite (your opinion may differ) is Crab Fries, from local restaurant Chickies and Petes (no doubt they'll come up in Eagles discussions over the next two weeks).  However, the 'crab' referrers to the secret seasoning which is awfully similar to Old Bay seasoning spread over the fries.  If you look up Chickies and Pete's reviews, especially at their airport locations, a lot of non-local people are disappointed with the fries because they're expecting actual crabmeat to be mixed within the fries!  The fries also comes with a cheese sauce that is in no-way related, or would even taste good, with crabs or crab meat.

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2018, 02:59:37 PM
Now there's a legit tangent, and potentially even a thread of its own: foods that intentionally sound disgusting. In the case of a trash (garbage, whatever) plate, it is intentional, and it looks a bit rough too. Still delicious though.

A local-to-Philly favorite (your opinion may differ) is Crab Fries, from local restaurant Chickies and Petes (no doubt they'll come up in Eagles discussions over the next two weeks).  However, the 'crab' referrers to the secret seasoning which is awfully similar to Old Bay seasoning spread over the fries.  If you look up Chickies and Pete's reviews, especially at their airport locations, a lot of non-local people are disappointed with the fries because they're expecting actual crabmeat to be mixed within the fries!  The fries also comes with a cheese sauce that is in no-way related, or would even taste good, with crabs or crab meat.

That trend is repeated throughout Maryland and Delaware. A lot of things called "Crab ____" just have Old Bay seasoning. I always check though, as I have a shellfish allergy but like Old Bay (and actually use it in cooking quite a bit).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

abefroman329

That cheese sauce is delicious.  I once ate at the (a?) Chickies and Petes at PHL and had a buffalo chicken sub with blue cheese dressing to dip it into and some of those fries with cheese sauce and it was heavenly.

qguy

Quote from: cl94 on January 23, 2018, 03:04:05 PM
That trend is repeated throughout Maryland and Delaware. A lot of things called "Crab ____" just have Old Bay seasoning. I always check though, as I have a shellfish allergy but like Old Bay (and actually use it in cooking quite a bit).

Something that's become quite common around the Philadelphia area is eating Old Bay-dusted fries with wings. I discovered this a few years back and for me they really go together (I don't mean in the same bite). It's a great combination.

Speaking of Philadelphia foods, gotta mention the hoagie and cheesesteak.

I'll post about cheesesteaks separately.

I included the following about hoagies in a post in another thread back in August (2017) so if you've seen it, forgive the repeat. Some reading this particular thread may not have seen it.

A hoagie is like a sub but with only Italian meats, cheeses, and seasonings, like hard and cooked salami, capicola ham, provolone, etc. Prosciutto is increasingly seen. (But never bologna even though that's technically Italian in origin.) And oil, not mayonnaise. Top it off with lettuce (generally shredded or chopped), tomato (generally sliced, not diced), and onion (sliced or chopped). One can always add sweet or hot peppers, roasted peppers, and other things, but virtually never fresh green (bell) peppers (go figure). People do deviate from this, of course (see entry under "turkey hoagie"); I'm merely describing what can be thought of as "standard." It's served on a stiff Italian long roll.

Comparing hoagies with subs, subs can have any kind of meats and cheeses. A true hoagie has only Italian meats, cheeses, and seasonings. All hoagies can be called subs, but all subs are not hoagies. Think of a hoagie as a "sub subset."

Bonus history: The hoagie originated with Italian immigrants in South Philadelphia ("Sou'Philly") who toiled at the long-gone Hog Island Ship Yard (where the Philadelphia International Airport is today). They took to carrying rolls stuffed with meats and cheeses in their lunch pails. Over time, what we today think of as the "salad" part–the lettuce, tomato, and onion–was added. Why the name? Workers at the Hog Island works tended to call themselves "Hoggies," but in Italian all O's are pronounced like a long O. So the Italian workers there called themselves "Hoe-gies" and the name, spelled "Hoagies," became attached to the sandwich as well.

Bonus bonus: to pronounce the ingredients like an Italian, clip the last syllable–"proe-vuh-LOAN," "gabba-GOAL," "pre-ZHOOT," etc. :D

qguy

Here's the skinny on cheesesteaks I promised. Cheesesteaks. Mmmm, just thinking about one... uhhh [drool]... Huh? Oh, where was I... OK, cheesesteaks.

One of the most misunderstood food in the country. People all over who have never seen one think they can imitate them by using pieces of steak or (shudder) Steak-Um. Diners and lunch counters nationwide serve all kinds of weird fiascoes and call them "Philly Cheesesteaks" or cheese steaks, or cheese-steaks, or the worst: "Philly steak and cheese" (whatever that is).

First off: the term "Philadelphia cheesesteak"  or "Philly cheesesteak"  is actually redundant. There's no other kind. It's like saying wet water. That's not being parochial; it jsut is. There's no "Chicago cheesesteak,"  say, or "San Francisco cheesesteak."  It's simply a cheesesteak or it's... something else. In Phila, they're usually just called "steaks."  You'll hear people say, "Yo, let's go grab a steak." (Yes, they do say "yo." :-D)

The basic components are: 1) steak (yes, real steak); 2) cheese; and 3) a long Italian roll.

The steak is top-grade sirloin or rib-eye, sliced very thinly (before cooking), and grilled lightly on a griddle. It's the key ingredient. If a cheesesteak is below par, it's probably because they skimped on the steak and didn't use the best stuff. Or grilled the moisture out of it.

The cheese is, yup, Cheez Whiz®, that great pinnacle of post-war mass-produced processed food. (I know it doesn't sound very good, but trust me, it goes.) Some east steaks with provolone or American, a few like mozzarella, but it was invented with whiz and the vast majority of Philadelphians eat it that way. And its usually schmeared on the roll before the steak is laid on it. Sorry John Kerry: swiss, gruyere, or any other hoity-toity cheese need not apply.

The roll is Italian, slightly crusty, a little chewy, and baked fresh daily. The best steaks are made with rolls that are not packed in plastic bags which makes them rubbery.

Some of the more popular "authorized"  variations are: 1) the steak wit' (wit' onions, lightly fried); 2) the pizza steak (a cheesesteak with pizza sauce, generally not mozzarella for the whiz); 3) the pizza steak with onions; 4) the steak with mushrooms; 5) the steak with hot peppers; 6) the steak with sweet peppers; 7) the steak with bacon; 8) the hoagie steak (a steak with hoagie ingredients on top– what's a hoagie? see my post upthread); 9) the pizza steak with any of these items; 10) various combi-nations of the above; etc., etc.

Although this looks like a rather diverse variety (and it may be) Philadelphians become downright hostile when outsiders suggest weird things. You never see things like pineapple or guacamole. In other words: no southern California nonsense. And never, ever, under any circumstances–green bell peppers. Why is it that every time some corporate chain gets it in its collective head to sell cheeasesteaks, whatever else they mess up they also manage to include green bell peppers?? I genuinely do not understand that. Never seen in Philadelphia. Unless a place thinks they gotta put some out and then they sit in a corner and harden because no one touches the things.

In a separate post I'll cover how to order a cheesesteak.

qguy

How do you order a cheesesteak in Philadelphia? Some people insist that there's some kind of "cheesesteak-ordering etiquette" but in my experience there is really no wrong way (except to order it from some place outside of a hundred-and-fifty-mile radius of the Philadelphia metropolitan area.)

I've heard people from outside Phila whine about the rudeness of order takers who probably berated them for taking too long to order. That's usually because the guy was six customers deep at the counter.(I've seen lines out the door.) He's likely to be rough with you because he's busier than a one-legged man in a kiester-kicking contest.

Besides, the general nature of Philadelphians is to be rough with each other. Overall, Northeasterners are rather friendly, but generally do not suffer fools lightly and if you take too long to pay for your food, or order your food, or decide what the heck you want, you may well be treated, shall we say, "discourteously." If you don't know what you want, stand back and let someone else order. If you do know what you want, yell it out and stand your ground. And if you've been standing in line, you'd better have decided what you want by the time you get to the cockamamie window!

You really don't need to order a certain way. You don't need to say "whiz, wit"  (meaning a cheesesteak with Cheez Whiz® and fried onions), for example. You just need to have a little nerve. If you want to say, "I'd like a cheesesteak with Cheez Whiz® and fried onions please,"  just sing it out. As R. Lee Ermey would say, "Sound off like ya got a pair!"  No matter what you say, say it with confidence and you'll raise nary an eyebrow, no matter how impatient the server.

In fact, you should adopt this attitude whenever you do anything in Phila, because Philadelphians can smell fear from a mile off. We loathe indecision and when we want something done we want it done yesterday. People are like this all over the Northeast, not just in Philadelphia. It's the same way in New York. Don't waste our time 'cause time is precious. (We spend too much of it stuck in traffic.) Order and get outa the way!

There is one thing, though. When ordering a cheesesteak variation that already has a popular name, order it by its popular name. "I wanna pizza steak"  as opposed to, "Can you make me a cheesesteak with pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese?"  If you order like this, you'll find yourself waiting a long time because that guy doesn't need you to tell him how to make a pizza steak. If he actually listened to the whole thing he'll likely berate you in a fashion similar to the following scenario.

• You: Excuse me sir, but may I have one of those "cheese-steaks," only I'd like it with pizza sauce and some mozzarella cheese instead of Cheez Whiz® if it's not too much trouble?
  • Guy at the window: You mean you want a pizza steak?
  • You: Uh, yeah, I guess so.
  • Guy at the window: Wassa matter witcha? Why the heck don't you just say pizza steak? You think I got all day to stand here and listen to you try to tell me how to make a pizza steak? You want my job or somethin'? Maybe you can come back here and make it better than me since ya know so much? I've only been working here for 25 years. I was makin' cheesesteaks when Pete Rose was still betting on Little League games, Pally! Why don't you come back here and tell me how to make a pizza steak, fer cryin' out loud? [looking over at another worker] D'you believe this guy? [back to you] You kiddin' me?
  • You: I'm sorry, I didn't know that's what it was called.
  • Guy at the window: Where the heck are ya from, the moon??
  • You: No I'm from California.
  • Guy at the window: Well then, maybe you want some freakin' avocado slices with that, ya dolphin-kissin', patchouli-stinkin', hemp-hippie, left-coaster? How about some tofu slices and a funny-smellin' candle, while I'm at it?
  • You: You don't have the right to treat people that way! I'm a person with feelings just like you. I didn't know if you knew how to make it the way I wanted it.
  • Guy at the window: Didn't know how to wha–?!? Why, I oughta–! Get atta here before ya hurt yerself!

See, if you were from Philly you'd have simply said to him, "How about you take that frickin' spatula and make me a frickin' pizza steak?"  and that would have been the end of it.

So, have I beat this to death?  :nod:  It's what I do.

inkyatari

How about a Springfield, IL Horseshoe sammich?

Bread, meat of choice (burger, chicken, taco meat, etc.), and fries on top, all smothered in cheese sauce.

I'm not going to say "thing of beauty" in this thread again.  It is damn good.  Fortunately I have a small pub near my home in northern IL that serves these, and they're just as good.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

I know a place that makes Geno's and Pat's look like amateurs, but I'm not telling you what it is.

1995hoo

Quote from: qguy on January 23, 2018, 05:09:54 PM
How do you order a cheesesteak in Philadelphia? ....

I seem to recall seeing this on a website somewhere. Still funny (and reasonably accurate, too, although the version I've seen doesn't say "frickin'").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

english si

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 23, 2018, 09:29:19 AMHere's an article on a restaurant that sells jellied eels AND pie 'n' mash!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/travel/eating-eels-london.html
Some snippets that shows that it's not easy:
one of the last surviving eel houses in London.
The bus ride to get here had been about 40 minutes

The author gets embarrassed that eel pies aren't on the menu, however a traditional pie and mash dish would be eel pie (and even the traditional meat was cheap cuts of mutton), but asking for such in an establishment that seems to thrive on tradition gets a very curt 'no' - though they do explain that it would be very expensive to make one nowadays.

It's possible to find eels and pie and mash, but then it's possible to find any food that's legal (so no dog meat, for instance) in London. For what was a local delicacy, you have to work hard to get them - it's easier to get Escargot than Eels.

adventurernumber1

Regarding trash plates, I am not sure if it is something that I would try, mainly because after clicking here, it looks like it has a bunch of onions in it - and that is the one and only food that I highly dislike and could not possibly eat to save my life.  :)

I mean, there is the argument for picking them out, but as messy and complex as a trash plate looks - the odds don't look like they would be in my favor should that be the case.  :-D  X-(

Quote from: formulanone on January 23, 2018, 01:38:23 PM
Key Lime Pie is usually found only in Florida. It's really more of a semi-sweet and semi-tart lemon flavor, and it goes well with coffee.

I've never seen white BBQ sauce outside of Alabama. It's more peppery than spicy, a little tangy but not sweet. You're supposed to only put it on chicken, not red meat or pork, but I always look the other way...I enjoy experimenting with food mash-ups. I've never been much to declare how particular foods should be eaten.

I don't recall ever having one at a restaurant specifically, but I have had Key Lime Pie many, many times at family get-togethers. It is a very common thing for my relatives to make and bring when we gather at times such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc.

I absolutely love Key Lime Pie, and I find it incredibly delicious. The sweetness and tartness makes for a very nice pie, and it's usually also nice, cold, and fresh as well. The crust is also among my favorites of any pie.

I always thought that Key Lime Pie was a food generally common in much of the South, but it is interesting to know that it sounds like its roots are in Florida specifically.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

formulanone

Quote from: qguy on January 23, 2018, 03:37:03 PMAnd oil, not mayonnaise.

Why does 95% of the country give me a weird look when I want oil and vinegar on my sub but no mayo?

Mayo is good in exactly one application: the Cuban sandwich.

nexus73

Quote from: formulanone on January 23, 2018, 06:43:23 PM

Why does 95% of the country give me a weird look when I want oil and vinegar on my sub but no mayo?

Over here the Cubans are served with a spicy deli mustard and pickles, which sure makes 'em flavorful!  Is mayo the way they are done elsewhere? 

As for mayo, I like it better then ketchup for dipping my french fries in.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

formulanone

I guess I'm wrong on the Key Lime Pie...gotta take another look when travelling.

Quote from: nexus73 on January 23, 2018, 07:37:19 PM

Over here the Cubans are served with a spicy deli mustard and pickles, which sure makes 'em flavorful!  Is mayo the way they are done elsewhere? 

I've had the mayo-mustard combo on a Cuban. I think pressing it on the grill makes it less mayo-y. Maybe the mustard overpowers the mayo to second place.

If they're missing the thin-sliced pickles, to me, it's just not a Cuban sandwich.

US71

I don't care much for mayo, either.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 23, 2018, 05:28:14 PM
I know a place that makes Geno's and Pat's look like amateurs, but I'm not telling you what it is.

That's not hard. Most people will tell you Genos and Pats are just for tourists.

Most people's favorite cheesesteak are going to be from a local sandwich shop.

So, spill the beans on yours!

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2018, 08:45:18 PM

That's not hard. Most people will tell you Genos and Pats are just for tourists.

I've been to Pat's, but yes, I have had better steaks from elsewhere.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Jim

I've liked every cheesesteak I've gotten in the Philadelphia area, but of the most famous ones, I'd rank them 1) Jim's, 2) Pat's, 3) Geno's.  I've also had good approximations elsewhere but I don't think anyone else has gotten the bread quite right.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on January 23, 2018, 10:01:26 AM
Petit Jean hams come from Morrilton, Arkansas  :)

And they are delicious!  :thumbsup:

US 71 also mentioned the "Sweep the Floor" pizza. Johnny's Pizza houses in Louisiana call them "sweep the kitchen" pizzas, same concept. Then once a year (during crawfish season), Johnny's puts out the "sweep the swamp" pizza. It contains crawfish tails, andouille sausage, shrimp, and some other ingredients from the "sweep the kitchen" pizza.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

nexus73

Quote from: cjk374 on January 23, 2018, 10:09:46 PM
Quote from: US71 on January 23, 2018, 10:01:26 AM
Petit Jean hams come from Morrilton, Arkansas  :)

And they are delicious!  :thumbsup:

US 71 also mentioned the "Sweep the Floor" pizza. Johnny's Pizza houses in Louisiana call them "sweep the kitchen" pizzas, same concept. Then once a year (during crawfish season), Johnny's puts out the "sweep the swamp" pizza. It contains crawfish tails, andouille sausage, shrimp, and some other ingredients from the "sweep the kitchen" pizza.

I always special order a pizza I call the Louisiana Special.  Extra sauce, thin on the cheese, shrimp, Italian sausage, green bell pepper and white onion on a thin crust, then sprinkle a few red pepper flakes to add even more kick.  Some pizza places don't have all the ingredients strangely enough.  Shrimp and white onion are the usual MIA suspects but if you do find a place that has the whole shebang, order one like me and you'll be in for quite the taste treat so long as the pizza parlor is not skimpy on the toppings.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

qguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2018, 08:45:18 PM

I don't know about Abe, but I'm partial to Jim's. You're right, Pat's and Geno's don't usually rate very high among locals.

1995hoo

I also dislike mayo except when it's used as a binder in crab cakes. What really chafes me is if a sandwich comes with mayo, I ask them to hold the mayo, and they argue with me. I stopped going to a place that was super-convenient to my old office because the woman behind the counter was so rude about that (too bad, too, because they had good sandwiches). I'm paying for the damn sandwich, so make it the way I asked!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Key Lime Pie was a huge thing down in Key West when I lived there.  It's become semi-mainstream since I was living there. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.