News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unnumbered Roads that warrant State Route status

Started by webny99, February 14, 2018, 08:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

There's a few in this area and central CA that warrant state designation:

(1) Vasco Road (Alameda/Contra Costa Counties).  CA 84 extension.  Commute Central to Brentwood/Discovery Bay.
(2) French Camp Road from I-5 and extending past CA 99 to CA 120.  Used by Stockton-area folks to get to Yosemite.  This is close enough to unconstructed CA 234 to warrant that number as an "existing" facility.
(3) County J17 from Patterson through Turlock to CA 59 west of Snelling.  Logical extension of the CA 130 "corridor" from San Jose to CA 33 at Patterson; since CA 130 is now an "orphan" highway, this would be a nice way to re-up the number.  Fanciful extension: east to CA 49 north of Mariposa.

Would Caltrans consider any of the above?  Probably not; they're still in "shedding" mode.

ftballfan

Alden Nash/Lincoln Lake from I-96 to M-44 in the Lowell area: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.8795159,-85.3709864/43.0838285,-85.3524846/@42.947562,-85.4118386,10.58z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en
Could be an extended M-91 (M-91 ends a few miles east of the northern terminus at M-44 and used to run to Lowell via a stairstep route).

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: Elkhart County Rd 17 between the MI/IN line and IN 119 really should be a state highway.  Four lanes all the way and a couple stretches are limited access.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mrcmc888

I would like to see the Kentucky and New York parkways get signed numbers.  It bugs me when roads have names and are major arterials but aren't numbered.

Florida and NJ Turnpike as well.

Eth

My belief is that any road with a functional classification of Principal Arterial that isn't currently in the state system warrants an upgrade. A few examples of these in metro Atlanta:

• An extension of GA 140 from its current east end down Jimmy Carter Blvd, Mountain Industrial Blvd, Hairston Rd, Wesley Chapel Rd, and Snapfinger Rd to end at GA 155
  • North Druid Hills Rd between GA 42 and US 78
  • Ralph David Abernathy Blvd between I-75/85 and US 19/41
  • State Bridge Rd/Pleasant Hill Rd between GA 120 and Ronald Reagan Pkwy. For that matter, include Ronald Reagan Pkwy; surely a freeway warrants a number.
  • Peachtree Industrial Blvd between GA 141 and GA 20, which is actually a higher functional classification than the parallel Buford Hwy/US 23
  • Sugarloaf Pkwy, part of which is a freeway
  • Abernathy Rd/Johnson Ferry Rd between GA 400 and GA 120
Also, there's currently no real signed county route system in Georgia; I'd create such a system and include at least all Minor Arterials that aren't in the state route system in it.

webny99

Quote from: Eth on February 16, 2018, 10:45:16 AM
My belief is that any road with a functional classification of Principal Arterial that isn't currently in the state system warrants an upgrade.

I agree 100% with that statement.  :nod:

I'll go through my own area in further detail, and would be interested if others wanted to do the same, as you've done above.

Quote from: mrcmc888 on February 16, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
I would like to see the Kentucky and New York parkways get signed numbers.  It bugs me when roads have names and are major arterials but aren't numbered.

Another +1. The "Niagara Scenic Parkway" even got renamed and still didn't get a number. Why? :banghead:

cl94

There is NO REASON the Kentucky and New York parkways need numbers. Most of New York doesn't use numbers, we use names if one exists. There's also a legal snafu with the NY parkways: NY parkways ban trucks, but NY state routes MUST allow all vehicles unless there are geometric constraints. Number them and they'll have to allow trucks.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

plain

In Henrico County, Va, VA 157 could be moved onto Gaskins Rd between Quioccasin and Springfield Rds.
Newark born, Richmond bred

webny99

Quote from: cl94 on February 16, 2018, 11:40:25 AM
There is NO REASON the Kentucky and New York parkways need numbers.

Don't you think numbers would be handy to have, though? We'd still use the names primarily, but I'd prefer that a number also be assigned.

DTComposer

Sacramento area:
- Sunrise Boulevard and Grant Line Road as an extension of CA-65 from I-80 south to CA-99.
- Either Laguna Boulevard or Consumes River Boulevard between I-5 and CA-99 (could be extended east to the route above).

Orange County:
- To connect the orphaned end of CA-241 (which I doubt will ever be extended), either Oso Parkway to I-5, or Oso Parkway/Antonio Parkway to CA-74. I could even see incorporating Crown Valley Parkway all the way to CA-1.

theline

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 16, 2018, 09:14:34 AM
Indiana: Elkhart County Rd 17 between the MI/IN line and IN 119 really should be a state highway.  Four lanes all the way and a couple stretches are limited access.

I'm glad you agree with my post from 2 days ago.

Quote from: theline on February 14, 2018, 10:14:35 PM
The road in my area that springs to mind is Elkhart County Road 17. The portion between the Indiana Toll Road and US-33 is part of the National Highway System, indicating its importance. I know the portion from US-20 to the ITR very well, as it's the connector of choice for traveling from South Bend to all points east.

I'd favor upgrading the designation to a state route of the entire NHS portion. It could well be extended north to the Michigan border, since the road continues in Michigan as M-217. That portion, like the NHS part, is all 4+ lanes expressway with limited cross traffic. The state route could also be extended to the south, though it would likely have a dangling end at CR-38. At that point the road downgrades to a narrow 2 lane road.

INDOT could even retain the number. SR-17 would fit the Indiana grid perfectly. There is a 17 downstate, but Indiana has shown no reluctance to have discontinuous highways.

Here's the map: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.7592885,-85.8776665/41.551511,-85.8862699/@41.6554832,-85.9550217,12z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en&authuser=0

TheHighwayMan3561

Shepard Road in St. Paul is the only one locally that would make sense to integrate into the state network. I can no longer remember if moving MN 5 onto it is a real MnDOT dream or just something I read here.

If hell freezes over and Ayd Mill Road is completed to I-94, then we'll revisit that one, but not while it's just a partial stub.

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

RobbieL2415

There is NO REASON the Kentucky and New York parkways need numbers. Most of New York doesn't use numbers, we use names if one exists. There's also a legal snafu with the NY parkways: NY parkways ban trucks, but NY state routes MUST allow all vehicles unless there are geometric constraints. Number them and they'll have to allow trucks.
All parkways in NYS have reference numbers and are technically signed on mile markers.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 17, 2018, 03:19:06 PM
Shepard Road in St. Paul is the only one locally that would make sense to integrate into the state network. I can no longer remember if moving MN 5 onto it is a real MnDOT dream or just something I read here.

That would make sense, especially once MN-120 is finally eliminated, so that MN-5 has a state route terminus. (Pre-supposing US-61 is moved off of Mounds Blvd/Arcade St.)

However, moving MN-5 to Shepard Rd would also create another hanging end with MN-149, unless W 7th St was kept and designated with a different number. (Or I suppose 149 also truncated, but I don't really see that happening.)

froggie

^ Truncating 149 is a long-term MnDOT goal.

Patrick:  what about Dakota CSAH 42?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: froggie on February 18, 2018, 10:58:15 AM
^ Truncating 149 is a long-term MnDOT goal.

You know, I'd not be surprised by that, but I have a hard time imagining the city of St. Paul (or Ramsey County) would want the road.

Revive 755

In Chicagoland, a lot of the unmarked state routes in Illinois that lack numbers and are unlikely to be jurisdictionally transferred ought to have the numbers posted.  Particularly:

* Palatine Road/Willow Road between US 14 and at least I-294, if not all the way east to I-94 and all the way west to IL 62.
* Barrington Road from IL 59 to US 20
* Golf Road from IL 43 to McCormick Boulevard
* The IDOT-maintained portions or McCormick Boulevard

roadfro

Summerlin Pkwy in Las Vegas. It's a four-lane urban freeway.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

freebrickproductions

Winchester Road in Huntsville and northern Madison County, AL could probably benefit from a state route designation, especially since the road gains one in Tennessee.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jwolfer

Quote from: mrcmc888 on February 16, 2018, 09:40:09 AM

The NJTP is signed as I-95 for much of the route.

I think they should just go ahead and post Florida's Turnpike as SR TOLL 91, and renumber the HEFT as 91 and not 821. That would match up with the other toll roads in Florida, all have posted SR #

Z981

US 89

Quote from: roadfro on February 18, 2018, 02:08:02 PM
Summerlin Pkwy in Las Vegas. It's a four-lane urban freeway.

Every freeway should be at least a state route.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 17, 2018, 03:47:57 PM
All parkways in NYS have reference numbers and are technically signed on mile markers.
If the number was not used on another road in western NY, you could consider making the Hutch NY 15, as it would be a continuation of CT 15 from the Merritt.   Either that or NY 678, since it is (at least for passenger vehicles) a continuation of I-678.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadsguy

• PA 743's PennDOT maintenance ends just short of I-81, and the township-maintained remainder of the route north to PA 443 is very sporadically signed as 743. It should all be 743 proper, owned by PennDOT.
  • Pattison/Columbus/Aramingo/Harbison/Bustleton Avenues in Philly could easily become a southern reroute/extension of PA 532.
  • Front/2nd Street, Paxton Street, and Eisenhower Blvd in Harrisburg should become a northern reroute and extension of PA 441 to end at US 22/322 at the PA 443 interchange.
  • A new route should be designated in Harrisburg to follow the Harvey Taylor Bridge, Forster Street, and then either 7th and Maclay Streets north or 7th and Maclay/Walnut Streets east to end at US 22.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

CapeCodder

Woods Hole Road in Falmouth, MA should have a number, since it connects to the Woods Hole, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket Steamship Authority ferry terminal. The Steamship Authority is a state agency. I propose number 29 as it's an unused number in MA.

hotdogPi

Quote from: CapeCodder on February 19, 2018, 11:13:21 AM
Woods Hole Road in Falmouth, MA should have a number, since it connects to the Woods Hole, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket Steamship Authority ferry terminal. The Steamship Authority is a state agency. I propose number 29 as it's an unused number in MA.

This would be a 3-mile route with an endpoint at a state route and the other endpoint at the end of a peninsula, without intersecting any other state routes. Massachusetts doesn't create routes like this (although Maine has a lot of them).

Mammoth Rd. in Dracut MA and Lowell MA deserves a number, as an extension of NH 128. However, as 128 is obviously already used, I propose that NH 128 becomes NH 28A, which allows extension into Massachusetts (Massachusetts already has two 2A, 6A, and 8A routes). NH 107A and RI 100 can also be extended without causing duplicate numbers.

Another idea:
Lexington-Woburn-Stoneham (MA 61?)

It ends at my proposed MA 48, so the "does not end at a state route" problem doesn't apply.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.