Best way to sign for low clearance on expressways/freeways?

Started by Mergingtraffic, April 16, 2018, 02:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Quote from: wxfree on April 16, 2018, 04:25:57 PM
I've seen at least one place (I seem to think I remember another) where lights will flash warning that a truck must take a certain upcoming exit, but only when a truck over a certain height is detected.  The sign says something like "Trucks take XX exit when flashing."  I don't know what technology is used, and I don't remember exactly where it is.  It's somewhere in Texas on I-30.  The obvious weakness is the risk of equipment failure, but this is supplemental to a regular sign showing the height limit, so it's an enhancement over the minimum need.

Saw it on Loop 12 NB at the Trinity River https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7902828,-96.9196196,3a,75y,4.86h,83.82t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sebpO7y2CDglvZzJ4oDw38w!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DebpO7y2CDglvZzJ4oDw38w%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D109.6141%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Also I-635 WB at PGBT: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9107401,-96.9367947,3a,26.8y,296.86h,86.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFoQ5FPq3Vzz8-HDfGK1VDQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

paulthemapguy

I'm not sure, but it ABSOLUTELY HAS TO BE A BLACK LEGEND ON A YELLOW BACKGROUND.  Anything else is UNACCEPTABLE by my standards and by MUTCD standards.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

MCRoads

I've seen Gentries/BGSs with metal/rubber weights that appear quite heavy, and if hit, would probably make lots of noise. What I would do, is have signs that say:

OVERHIGHT VEHICLES
WILL HIT THESE OBJECTS.
EXIT IN xx MILES.

And have them get closer together closer to the exit. Like:

Miles:

Once you pass the exit, you have several of these in a row, so you hear a "BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM" , and maybe stop to figure out what happened.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

roadman

Quote from: MCRoads on April 23, 2018, 10:39:32 AM
I’ve seen Gentries/BGSs with metal/rubber weights that appear quite heavy, and if hit, would probably make lots of noise. What I would do, is have signs that say:

OVERHIGHT VEHICLES
WILL HIT THESE OBJECTS.
EXIT IN xx MILES.

And have them get closer together closer to the exit. Like:

Miles:

Once you pass the exit, you have several of these in a row, so you hear a “BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM”, and maybe stop to figure out what happened.
The entrance ramps to Storrow Drive, Memorial Drive, and Solider's Field Road in Boston and Cambridge, which all have low clearances, use homemade rubber signs reading CARS ONLY (orange on black).  These signs are suspended at the clearance height so a truck or bus will strike them.  Drivers of overheight vehicles ignore them all the time.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

While I certainly do not condone overheight vehicles ignoring low clearance signs & devices but maybe the solution here is to sign the alternate route for overheight vehicles to utilize; especially in areas where there are venues that will attract tourists and/or other out-of-state drivers.

Both of the bus crashes (I'm emphasizing those due to the number of passengers in the vehicles); the one recently in New York and the one five years ago in Boston (Allston) involved drivers who weren't from nor familiar with the area.

Directing one where not to go is one thing; directing one where to go is another.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NoGoodNamesAvailable

If you want to eliminate overheight vehicle crashes on a road, you need to raise all the bridges up to above 13'-6". Below that, there is literally nothing that you can do to prevent careless drivers, short of 24/7 police presence. There will always be new truckers, people driving rented trucks, people who ignore signs, people who figure "I can probably make it" . . . All possible signage combinations, electronic systems, and physical contraptions have been tried and none of them fully work.

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 23, 2018, 04:48:41 PM
While I certainly do not condone overheight vehicles ignoring low clearance signs & devices but maybe the solution here is to sign the alternate route for overheight vehicles to utilize; especially in areas where there are venues that will attract tourists and/or other out-of-state drivers.

Both of the bus crashes (I'm emphasizing those due to the number of passengers in the vehicles); the one recently in New York and the one five years ago in Boston (Allston) involved drivers who weren't from nor familiar with the area.

Directing one where not to go is one thing; directing one where to go is another.
Agree.  Also, provide proper signing regarding the low clearance and vehicle restrictions BEFORE the overheight vehicle has a chance to enter the roadway, instead of on the ramp itself.  The entrances to the O'Neill Tunnel in Downtown Boston integrate this information into the guide signs for the entrances, perhaps a similar treatment is needed here.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 23, 2018, 04:48:41 PM

That's assuming everyone is going the same place.  A truck that was only going to be on a parkway for 3 miles had a different destination in mind than one going 20 miles.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.