News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2019 Rand McNally road atlas

Started by txstateends, April 20, 2018, 04:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Quote from: txstateends on April 20, 2018, 04:18:57 PM
https://www.randmcnally.com/95years

Meanwhile, in June, RMcN is releasing 'American Journey', a hardcover book that includes all the Road Atlas covers from all 95 years of its history.  The cover shows a collage of some of the covers silhouetted in the shape of the US highway shield.  If they're doing this for 95, what are they doing for 100?

I actually made a video on something like this a few years ago...

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

US 41

Changes I noticed at first glance.

Future US 412 Bypass (labeled as such) is finished from I-49 to AR 112.
DE 1 shown in blue from Dover to Frederica.
Future extension of FL 589 to FL 44 (dashed in green).
Some green dashes taken away west of O'hare. Part of them finished and labeled as IL 390.
I-69 shown as complete up to Martinsville.
US 20 is now 4 lanes from Early, IA to Sioux City, IA.
I-169 made the KY map.
I-49 complete to Shreveport, LA.
ON 401 shown in blue dashes crossing into the US (Detroit) and connecting to I-75 (new bridge).
I-11 in Nevada.
New inset maps in New Jersey- Jersey Shore and New Brunswick.
I-95 / I-295 is complete and I-276 ends in PA.
I-87 in North Carolina.
I-269 shown as complete (Again)
TX 255 is now shown as a free road (in red) rather than a toll road.
BC 1 now toll free all the way through Vancouver.
AB 1 shown as a freeway (in blue) east of Regina for a few miles. Bypass still under construction.
Autoroute 85 shown in blue from NB line to St Louis du-Ha! Ha!
New Guadalajara (Mexico) southern toll road bypass shown.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

texaskdog

Quote from: 1 on May 02, 2018, 06:15:03 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on May 01, 2018, 11:06:59 PM
Oh well, other than us who are local, no one can pronounce "Oregon" correctly so why should some mapmaker in parts way away from here get our roads right?

Where I live, Oregon is pronounced correctly, but Nevada and Colorado are not.

I'm from Minnesota and say Or-a-gone.  My wife makes fun of me and says Or-a-gun.  we both say Nav-add-a and Color-add-o but our daughter says Nav-odd-a and color-odd-o.

texaskdog

If Fritzowl gets a job at Rand McNally we're all doomed.

bob7374

Saw the 2019 Atlas at the local Barnes and Noble today. To add to the previous comments about North Carolina in addition to I-87 on the state and Raleigh inset and the US 74 Monroe Bypass:
I-73 is shown complete to its new northern terminus at NC 68 but is still shown as ending just south of Ellerbe, no reference to the newly open, or soon to open, extension further south to the future Bypass location.
I-840 is shown complete along the west side of Greensboro to US 220 and to US 29 on the east side. Only the east side has a new I-840 shield and there's no reference to I-785.
The I-140 Wilmington Bypass is shown as complete but still shows US 17 running along it and as the sole designation east of I-40 on the state map.
Only the first section of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway between Bus. 40/US 421 and US 158 is shown as under construction, not the remainder of the route to US 52 that will get underway this year.
The Fayetteville Outer Loop is shown correctly as NC 295 but only the section under construction south of the All-American Freeway to US 401 is shown, not the recently started section between I-95 and Camden Road.
US 74 (Future I-74) now is shown as limited access from US 76 west to Boardman and from Lumberton to a couple miles east/north of Orrum.
I-74 still appears along the US 74 Rockingham Bypass.

okc1

iOS update now available. Free to those who have the app.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

SSOWorld

Quote from: okc1 on May 04, 2018, 05:41:15 PM
it's already got a big bug.  No Alabama.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Also the dashed line representing the to be constructed Detroit-Windsor bridge (Howe's) is shown on the Michigan (including Detroit Inset) and Ontario maps.

As for new insets - Jersey Shore!!!???.  The last time they focused a part of the state (Outer banks), the inset scale was the same as the main map.  This one's slightly zoomed in. At least it replaces the redundant Newark inset (see the NYC page).
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

D-Dey65

Quote from: US 41 on May 02, 2018, 08:45:01 PM
Future extension of FL 589 to FL 44 (dashed in green).
I missed my chance to go to a meeting on that. I still stay there should be some design changes near US 98 and it should be extended to US 19/98 in Red Level with a wider median west of Citrus CR 495.

briantroutman

My big item to look for was the CSVT. Unfortunately, there's not a trace of it on the PA map.

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 05, 2018, 07:39:04 AM

My installation includes Alabama.

SSOWorld

Quote from: briantroutman on May 05, 2018, 08:58:15 AM
My big item to look for was the CSVT. Unfortunately, there's not a trace of it on the PA map.

Ah, there it is (had to force-close the app)

My installation includes Alabama.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

texaskdog

Sounds like something I would like-omitting Alabama

Kniwt

- UT 7 now marked as freeway all the way to Exit 15 (but not marked as only two-lane from Exit 6 eastward). (However, the St. George city map is getting increasingly useless -- it shows just basically the old downtown, while the area is sprawling rapidly and closing in on 200k population.)
- UT 154 (Bangerter Hwy.) doesn't have most of its work-in-progress shown to convert several more intersections to interchanges.
- NV 439 (USA Parkway) shown for entire length to US 50.
- In southern Nevada, US 93 divided highway expansion north of I-15 is shown as complete.

(Not 100% sure, since I use the iOS app and it just overwrites all of last year's maps.)

hbelkins

Got my copy downloaded today. A couple of things I noticed:

The new route of US 79 in Russellville, Ky., is not noted.

US 48 is not posted along US 219 and US 33 between Thomas/Davis and Weston, WV.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

Quote from: Kniwt on May 07, 2018, 03:16:59 PM
- UT 7 now marked as freeway all the way to Exit 15 (but not marked as only two-lane from Exit 6 eastward). (However, the St. George city map is getting increasingly useless -- it shows just basically the old downtown, while the area is sprawling rapidly and closing in on 200k population.)
- UT 154 (Bangerter Hwy.) doesn't have most of its work-in-progress shown to convert several more intersections to interchanges.
- NV 439 (USA Parkway) shown for entire length to US 50.
- In southern Nevada, US 93 divided highway expansion north of I-15 is shown as complete.

(Not 100% sure, since I use the iOS app and it just overwrites all of last year's maps.)

Agreed on the St. George city map. The same thing happens on the Ogden and Provo city maps, where most of northern Davis County and northern Utah County get cut off the maps because they're not close enough to the Ogden or Provo city centers and aren't on the Salt Lake City area map. IMO, there should be city maps for Price and Cedar City as well.

By 2019, Bangerter will have 7 interchanges. There are 3 on the 2018 map, but it doesn't have the exit numbers for those (1, 3, and 13).

Is the Mountain View Corridor extension north to 4100 South there? It wasn't on the 2018 map, even though it was actually completed in 2017.

nexus73

Quote from: texaskdog on May 07, 2018, 11:27:46 AM

Sounds like something I would like-omitting Alabama

Toll Ride...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Kniwt

Quote from: US 89 on May 07, 2018, 06:00:29 PM
Is the Mountain View Corridor extension north to 4100 South there? It wasn't on the 2018 map, even though it was actually completed in 2017.

Answer appears to be no:

US 89

Quote from: Kniwt on May 07, 2018, 10:12:58 PM
Quote from: US 89 on May 07, 2018, 06:00:29 PM

Answer appears to be no:

Thanks for posting. As you mentioned, no Bangerter freeway or exits either.

The other thing they continue to get wrong is the ramp configuration of the downtown interchange between I-15, I-80, and SR-269. That was changed in the Olympic reconstruction project such that there isn't a ramp from I-15 south to 269 east, nor one from 269 west to 15 north; those movements were replaced by a new interchange at 400 South (also not shown). It hasn't looked like what's shown on the map since around 1997. In addition, the rail lines along 500 West south of North Temple and along 400 West were removed around the same time.

Looks like they've got some work to do in UT...

sparker

Noticed a few things in the 2019 iteration that weren't there last year:

(1) In the L.A. metro page, there's a southern continuation of the CA 241 tollway shown simply as a divided highway, likely a local facility, called Los Patrones Parkway, which ends just shy of CA 74, with a series of connecting streets.  Checked GSV; ROW looks U.C. in a view from mid-2017; not quite sure exactly how to classify the road configuration.  I'm sure we'll hear about it in short order.
(2) A number of roads in the Delmarva area, particularly in MD, are now showing as freeway segments, including US 301, with 4 such segments (although I'm sure in reality those have actually been around for a while, but RmcN is just now recognizing them); also a Denton bypass on MD 404 and the section of US 50 near Vienna also show up as short freeway sections.
(3) A U.C. southwest bypass of Dubuque, IA extending from US 20 east to US 61 near the US 52 "split" is shown. 

I'm sure there are several more; just haven't had the time to do a more thorough comparison.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: US 41 on May 02, 2018, 08:45:01 PM
Autoroute 85 shown in blue from NB line to St Louis du-Ha! Ha!

I think I have a new favorite place name.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Stephane Dumas

MapArt, who's RandMcNally rival, also sells their 2019 road atlas as well. http://www.mapart.com/Canada-USA-Road-Atlas-2019--1122_p_1920.html

Henry

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 14, 2018, 09:01:01 AM
MapArt, who's RandMcNally rival, also sells their 2019 road atlas as well. http://www.mapart.com/Canada-USA-Road-Atlas-2019--1122_p_1920.html
That's interesting to hear! I'm guessing that they're the Canadian equivalent to Rand McNally. Do they cover the entire country (including the Yukon, Northwest and Nunavut territories)? (because Rand McNally only does the 10 provinces)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

D-Dey65

I finally saw some copies in the nearest Wal-Mart, and I recently bought the 2018 Rand McNally Road Atlas last month.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 26, 2018, 09:53:00 AM
Quote from: Henry on April 25, 2018, 10:13:14 AM
Are the I-95/PA Turnpike interchange and I-295 extension being marked yet? They certainly weren't there in 2018.
Yes, the PA and NJ state maps (and Philly inset) show 95 running across the turnpike bridge now with the interchange at 95/276.  The NJ state map and Trenton inset show 295 in PA now as well.  Rand McNally has us all ready for 2019!
Not quite.  The interchange numbers have not yet been revised and the stretch of PA Turnpike between the new interchange & the US 13 interchange should be shown in blue (free highway) vs. green-yellow (tolled highways) since that stretch will no longer be a tolled facility.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 17, 2018, 10:54:04 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 26, 2018, 09:53:00 AM
Quote from: Henry on April 25, 2018, 10:13:14 AM
Are the I-95/PA Turnpike interchange and I-295 extension being marked yet? They certainly weren't there in 2018.
Yes, the PA and NJ state maps (and Philly inset) show 95 running across the turnpike bridge now with the interchange at 95/276.  The NJ state map and Trenton inset show 295 in PA now as well.  Rand McNally has us all ready for 2019!
Not quite.  The interchange numbers have not yet been revised and the stretch of PA Turnpike between the new interchange & the US 13 interchange should be shown in blue (free highway) vs. green-yellow (tolled highways) since that stretch will no longer be a tolled facility.

How do they show roads such as I-95 in Delaware from 295 to the MD State Line?  it's a 'tolled' facility although the only toll is between Exit 1 and the MD State Line.

Because of the very short distance between US 13 and the new 95 Interchange (about 1.5 miles), it's not even worth trying to show that as a toll-free highway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.