News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Signal brands in your area

Started by traffic light guy, June 14, 2018, 01:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

For me, I'm gonna list them based on how common they are:

Common:
McCain
TCT
Peek
Econolite Buttonback
Eagle Durasig

Moderate:
Crouse-Hinds Type Rs
Eagle flatback
Eagle Alusig
Automatic LFE
3M
Safetran

Rare:
Crouse-Hinds Type Ms
Singer
Eaglelux
Crouse-Hinds Art Deco

Exceptions:
Eagle Siemens (Only common in major cities; Philly, Harrisburg, and Pittsburg, they're rarely seen anywhere else)
Highway Signal & Sign Co (Only common in Philly)
Econolite Bullseye (Fairly common in Pittsburgh, becoming endangered in Philadelphia, extinct throughout the rest of District 6)

Extinct:
Just about any type of 4-way, I don't think there's been one in decades, there's only a tiny amount outside District 6

jakeroot

I'm still not very good with brands, but the most common brands in Western Washington (that I know of) are:

- McCain (most common over last couple years);
- PEEK (common install until a couple years ago);
- Marbelite (older installs); and
- Eagle Siemens (used pretty much exclusively by WSDOT)

Most older 8-inch signals in the Seattle area are Alusigs or short-groove Econolites, and newer ones (AFAIK) are McCains. There are some Eagle Flatbacks scattered around, mostly painted black.

CJResotko

Most common traffic signal types in Michigan:
Eagle Durasig (you don't go a road trip in MI without seeing these)
LFE
Eagle
Econolite button-backs (only seen in the Detroit-metro area)

Rare signals in Michigan:
Crouse-Hinds 4-ways
Eagle 4-ways
Sargent Sowell 4-ways (only one left)
Marbelite 4-ways (Westphalia, MI, the only Marbelite signal)

basilicon89

Michigan is Eagle land...aluminum where required and polycarbonate

Macomb County, MI you see more of the "LFE"  model. LFE has long been out of business and in 1987 the signal line was merged with Eagle. So new LFEs are made by Eagle. In fact as of about 3 years ago the new owners of Eagle retooled the molds with new Eagle logos and no longer say LFE or Durasig

Durasig, which was a tradename for Gulf and Western's signal line in the 70s (G+W owned Eagle until the later 1970s). While the name stayed on the back of the lights the Durasig name has been defunct for 40 years.

Econolite is a newcomer to south east Michigan. They were chosen because Macomb County, Michigan implemented the Econolite Centracs regional software system replacing the older Siemens and MARC systems.  Econolite controllers are common in the area now but are utilizing D4 operating software to run the intersections.

-Nick

CJResotko

McCain traffic signals are also a rare signal brand seen in Michigan. A few can be seen in Ingham County. Most of them are in Muskegon County.

An extremely rare brand is PEEK/TCT. There used to be a couple of them in Elsie, Michigan, but the intersection they were at got turned into a 4-way stop. I believe the only intersection in the entire state of Michigan that even has the PEEK/TCT signals is Hull Road/Bellevue Street in Leslie, Michigan. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4511680,-84.4399730,3a,76.565582y,-72.670448h,87.518349t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s2eN_ehzZI3FdItXr0bUbBA!2e0

Amtrakprod

Eagle and McCain for new installs
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.