News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

[Map] 4 years of trucking, each dot is somewhere he spent >1 hour.

Started by kurumi, July 12, 2018, 10:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

https://imgur.com/DIttlWS

Submitter's text: "Google location history since I started OTR truck driving 4 years ago. The dots are places where I stopped for more than an hour or so. I like how they sorta form the interstate highway network, you can pick out the I-10, I-40, etc. #trucking"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

sparker

While sticking mostly to established Interstate corridors (particularly the 40/44/70 continuum), it's interesting to see what non-Interstate corridors that he tended to use could be interpolated from his data.  This is what I've got so far:
     (1)  CA 99, looks like from Bakersfield to at least Stockton.
     (2)  US 54, Tucumcari, NM > Wichita, KS.  With I-35 following, obviously a OKC-avoiding
           shortcut.
     (3)  Avenue of the Saints (US 61, MSR 27, I-380).  Hey, gotta get from StL to MSP
           somehow!
     (4)  US 35, OH/WV.  Classic diagonal interregional, avoids a lot of potential             
           chokepoints.
     (5)  DE 1/US 13 -- Delmarva cutoff, E. Coast S.O.P.

Would be interesting to get a perspective about driving these corridors vis-à-vis an all-Interstate set of routes (if that would be feasible).  Likely no practical difference on US 35 save the gaps in WV; same with CA 99 and AOS (except slogging through Hannibal), but the others feature at-grade local traffic crossing & mixing.  Curiously, all these corridors  also figure prominently in the various studies showing commercial traffic volumes -- occasionally equaling or outstripping nearby Interstates (when there are such). 

But kudos to the data submitter; even with largely anecdotal information, in the aggregate it illustrates the preferences and predilections of a person who's been in the driver's seat for a few years and has developed some sort of personal algorithm regarding routing; the fact that it corresponds at all with larger databases accumulated elsewhere is in itself striking.  This is a "planners, take note!" kind of practical information.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.