News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Which state has the best traffic signals?

Started by Amtrakprod, July 17, 2018, 06:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 05, 2018, 10:52:44 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on August 05, 2018, 10:48:52 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 05, 2018, 09:59:17 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on August 05, 2018, 09:36:31 PM
I'm assuming by span wire, you mean signals held up by a Strand (common in IN) instead of mounted to a Mast Arm (common in IL)?
It's a wire that spans the road: span wire. I've never heard of calling it a "strand" before.
Got the lingo down

In Telecom Outside Plant (where I am employed), the heavy gauge Steel support wire that holds up telecom cables between poles (fiber, coax, copper, etc) is called the "strand."

A Span Wire Signal uses very similar support wire to support the signals.

But different industry (Transportation vs Telecom), different terminology. I can handle that

I don't even know if "span wire" is the correct industry term. That's just the term I learned here on this forum/the term everyone else seems to use here. :)
When in Rome...

It is pretty rare to find a Permanent Span Wire Signal in IL, especially along an IDOT-maintained road. There are a select few out there

Mast Arm is by far and above the standard, from South Beloit to Cairo, in IL!

Revive 755

Quote from: Super Mateo on July 17, 2018, 08:52:02 PM
And I personally prefer 5 sections over doghouses, of which there are only two I know of in Illinois:  one in Naperville, the other in Calumet City, which is actually an Indiana installation on the state line.

Which intersection?  The only signal near or on the IL/IN border I can find with doghouses is on the Chicago/Hammond border at the Avenue A/106th Street/EB US 12-20-41 intersection

ilpt4u

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 05, 2018, 11:10:47 PM
Quote from: Super Mateo on July 17, 2018, 08:52:02 PM
And I personally prefer 5 sections over doghouses, of which there are only two I know of in Illinois:  one in Naperville, the other in Calumet City, which is actually an Indiana installation on the state line.

Which intersection?  The only signal near or on the IL/IN border I can find with doghouses is on the Chicago/Hammond border at the Avenue A/106th Street/EB US 12-20-41 intersection.
Naperville has it at Washington and whatever road the Childrens Museum is on/North Ave

https://goo.gl/maps/UPf9YXAkEx62

Granted, that Doghouse has only arrow movements (Left and Right Arrows), as North Ave is a One Way against the exit of the Museum Parking Lot/Into the entrance of the Museum (or turning onto Washington)

The Calumet City, may be @ State Line Road and State St
https://goo.gl/maps/68nRenQVsDw

Have a Doghouse on a Mast Arm, right by a Welcome to Calumet City sign

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.