Doghouse Louver Confusion

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, October 06, 2018, 12:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

So, on GSV in Little Rock looking at the intersection of (N&S) Rodney Parham Rd. and W. Markham St. I've noticed that the doghouse signals have louvers that are position wrong (possibly). They both look like they have louvers for a right instead of a left (which, in theory those two signals would control).

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7531901,-92.3671833,3a,15y,262.37h,94.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTL4BhgzMgOL4m_1AVcYzCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

jakeroot

Is the confusion that traffic going north along Rodney Parham Rd might confuse the doghouse as their own?

I've seen louvres used to ensure traffic in the through lanes cannot see the doghouse, but only when used in combination with Dallas Phasing.

roadfro

I can't seem to find a street view where I can see the circular elements of the dog house displayed at all, so I'm not sure why there are louvers there at all.

I could see louvers being used on westbound Markham so that northbound drivers on Rodney Parham don't confuse those signals for their own (due to the curve). But if that were the case, louvers should be used on all the through indications, not just those on the doghouse.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on October 06, 2018, 01:51:05 PM
I can't seem to find a street view where I can see the circular elements of the dog house displayed at all, so I'm not sure why there are louvers there at all.

If you go east a bit on Markham, and go back a few years, you can see it: https://goo.gl/2efk6p

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Yeah the signals in the islands (the doghouses on the mast arms). The east doghouse should have the arrows on its left side and the yellow and green switched.

jakeroot

I'm confused. Are we not talking about the louvres for the left turn signal? The only other doghouses are right-turn filter signals for both directions of Markham, and they appear to be designed properly with the arrows on the right.

freebrickproductions

It appears that the left turn doghouses are designed for Dallas Phasing, so they should probably just go ahead and replace them with FYAs.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: jakeroot on October 06, 2018, 04:01:20 PM
I'm confused. Are we not talking about the louvres for the left turn signal? The only other doghouses are right-turn filter signals for both directions of Markham, and they appear to be designed properly with the arrows on the right.
I think I fucked up, due to GSV's angles of it's shots (not the best), so the doghouses seem to be fine (on the mast arms). They have the yellow and greens louvered, instead of the arrows. But, I would still think that they would louver the arrows to eliminate confusion from the adjacent lanes.

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 07, 2018, 12:22:03 PM
It appears that the left turn doghouses are designed for Dallas Phasing, so they should probably just go ahead and replace them with FYAs.
I believe the doghouses have an FYA function with the yellow arrow that they already have.

jakeroot

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 08, 2018, 12:50:48 AM
I think I fucked up, due to GSV's angles of it's shots (not the best), so the doghouses seem to be fine (on the mast arms). They have the yellow and greens louvered, instead of the arrows. But, I would still think that they would louver the arrows to eliminate confusion from the adjacent lanes.

Oh, I see what you're getting at. Yeah, in that sense, the whole display should really be louvred (although both east-west displays should just be replaced with flashing yellow arrows).

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: jakeroot on October 08, 2018, 01:50:52 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 08, 2018, 12:50:48 AM

Oh, I see what you're getting at. Yeah, in that sense, the whole display should really be louvred (although both east-west displays should just be replaced with flashing yellow arrows).
I forgot to add, they have the whole RYG sections louvered, but not the arrows. what if it's a visual thing?

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on November 17, 2018, 07:22:48 PM
I found another using PV signals, but it was later correctly updated. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6239459,-90.2756855,3a,75y,252.17h,89.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s825yyi2QgF_hGxxLIGqOEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

OT: Missouri uses a rounded backplate that I rarely see used anywhere else. All that I'm used to in WA, BC, and the DMV are square corners.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.