News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Counties without stoplights

Started by ftballfan, December 31, 2012, 03:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftballfan

Even though it seems like I see at least one new stoplight every year, there are some counties that still don't have any stoplights.

Lake County in Michigan has two flashing lights (both intersections of M-37 and US-10). However, there are no full stoplights in the county. Benzie County only has one (the north intersection of US-31 and M-115 in Benzonia) and so does Oceana County (State St and Washington St in Hart).

DandyDan

I suspect a good portion of the counties in central Nebraska's Sand Hills region do not have any.  There's probably large chunks of other states in the Great Plains region as well without any.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

agentsteel53

Union County, NM has seven.  one is in downtown Clayton, the county seat.  the other six belong to a friend of mine.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Zmapper

Jackson County, home to Walden, is the only county in Colorado without a traffic signal.

vdeane

I've heard that Hamilton county, NY has no permanent stop light.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

I think Jefferson County, FL has none.  At least on US 19, from Perry to Thomasville, GA there are only flashers even in Downtown Monticello!  I have not been on US 90, though, but chances are if US 90 has none either than the rest of Jefferson does not. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

Big John

Lafayette County, WI
Menominee County, WI

hobsini2

Putnam Co IL, Stark Co IL, Adams Co WI, Calumet Co WI and Cherry Co NE to the best of my knowledge do not have a single stoplight. About 15 years ago or so, Marquette Co WI and Green Lake Co WI were also on that list.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bassoon1986

Louisiana has 2 that I know for sure.

Grant Parish
Cameron Parish

Big John

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 31, 2012, 04:04:29 PM
Putnam Co IL, Stark Co IL, Adams Co WI, Calumet Co WI and Cherry Co NE to the best of my knowledge do not have a single stoplight. About 15 years ago or so, Marquette Co WI and Green Lake Co WI were also on that list.
There has been a traffic light in Chilton in Calumet Co for a long time, plus the NW corner of the county is in Appleton so there are some traffic lights in there or on a county line.

74/171FAN

Surry County, VA. even though a flashing light signal exists within the county seat, Surry
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

twinsfan87

You can add Forest County, Florence County, Iron County, and Bayfield County to the list for Wisconsin as well.

The only Minnesota counties I can think of at the moment are Fillmore and Dodge Counties.

rarnold

wriddle082

I'm pretty sure that Glasscock Co., GA doesn't have a traffic light.  The same could possibly be true for GA's smallest county in population, Taliaferro, which could also be the smallest county in population with a major interstate running through it (I-20).

In TN, I don't think Van Buren Co. has a traffic light.  It's biggest intersection of TN 111 and TN 30 is grade separated with a connecting ramp and stop signs.  The smallest county in TN in population, Pickett, may have one really old traffic light in its county seat of Byrdstown, but not 100% sure if it is still working.

oscar

Quote from: NE2 on December 31, 2012, 04:20:09 PM
That leper colony in Hawaii.

Kalawao County.

In Alaska, I'm pretty sure Northwest Arctic (Kotzebue) and Yakutat boroughs are stop-light free.  Probably many of the other boroughs as well (Aleutians East, Lake and Peninsula, North Slope at least, I think also Haines and Skagway if you don't count the stoplights at U.S. customs stations), though I haven't gotten around those others enough to be sure.  Ditto some of the more lightly-populated census areas, like Wade Hampton and Prince of Wales-Hyder. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

roadfro

Nevada counties without traffic signals (to the best of my knowledge): Esmeralda, Eureka, Lander, Lincoln, Storey.

That's only 5 of out 17. I expected more counties without signals in Nevada due to the rural nature of the state. There are several counties that only have one or a handful of signals though.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hbelkins

There are no traffic signals in Owsley, Menifee and Elliott counties in Kentucky. Years ago, when I was a kid, there was a traffic light in Sandy Hook, Ky. (Elliott County) but it was removed sometime in the 1970s and has never been replaced.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

wxfree

In Texas: Terrell, Jeff Davis, Motley, Borden (in addition to Loving, already mentioned).
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Takumi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 31, 2012, 04:37:01 PM
Surry County, VA. even though a flashing light signal exists within the county seat, Surry
I was just there. It's a stoplight now.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Quillz

I've not been to Modoc County in California, but I've read that it either has no stoplights at all or just one, likely in Alturas.

Revive 755

Rover_0

Piute County in Utah doesn't have any stoplights, while the closest that neighboring Garfield County comes is a flashing red light setup (no yellow, no green) in Panguitch at the US-89/UT-143 junction.

I can't believe this, but after some quick Street-Viewing, it appears that Millard County--which I swore had at least one in Fillmore and/or Delta--has none.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Mapmikey

AFAIK, these Virginia Counties still do not have a stoplight:
Highland Co, VA
Charles City Co, VA
Mathews Co, VA
Fluvanna Co, VA
Craig Co, VA
Bath Co, VA
Cumberland Co, VA

Some Virginia Counties have just one:
Floyd Co
King and Queen Co
Nelson Co

Mapmikey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.