News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads being closed WAYYYY Longer than it being reasonable.

Started by Genghixiani, December 20, 2023, 07:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Yup, gonna be hard to beat the final 3-4 miles of CA-39 connecting to CA-2. The good news is there is now finally real talk about it reopening. But it's been closed since 1978 and it seems like there isn't any real reason why it couldn't have been repaired and reopened in the ensuing half century.

Another candidate would probably be TX-87 along the Gulf Coast. Has been closed since 1990 and there is no serious talk of reopening it.

pderocco

Quote from: Quillz on December 23, 2023, 09:14:06 PM
Yup, gonna be hard to beat the final 3-4 miles of CA-39 connecting to CA-2. The good news is there is now finally real talk about it reopening. But it's been closed since 1978 and it seems like there isn't any real reason why it couldn't have been repaired and reopened in the ensuing half century.
If you check out the route 39 page in cahighways.org, the Crystal Lake Road to Route 2 section, there were lots of times when there was "real talk about it reopening". And then they change their minds. I'll believe it when they stick a shovel into the ground.

pderocco

In California, San Bernardino County route 66 (the old US-66) has been more or less closed between Kelbaker Road and I-40 to the east for over four years. I say "more or less" because you can go around the barriers, and at each washed out bridge or culvert, drive on a makeshift dirt bypass road. One of these weekends I may do that to see if any repairs have been made, but it's still shown on Google Maps as not opening for another year. Here's one of the washouts:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/V5BToHAydmqgQ5ef9

And it looks like Scotty's Castle Road in Death Valley will turn into another such road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.