News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

I stayed on I-70 East for 88 more miles, but never arrived in "Columbns".  Taken August 2, 2016.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

kphoger

QuotePage 64

Yep, this is why I stopped checking this thread a while ago.  Little design errors being called "erroneous road signs."  Back to the other threads I go...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

okroads

Quote from: Jim on December 17, 2016, 08:54:29 PM
I stayed on I-70 East for 88 more miles, but never arrived in "Columbns".  Taken August 2, 2016.

That sign was correct as of September 2015 so I wonder why it was replaced with the incorrect sign.

DSC07398 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

amroad17

^ It looks as if the "u" was put on upside down--as if that letter had fallen off and was put back on the sign incorrectly.  Notice that the "u" and the "n" is basically the same shape.  Rather interchangeable, right?

This, of course, is assuming the sign is the same exact one in both the above photos.  To me, it looks like it is.

Hold it, the second (new) sign looks like it has been put up about 10-15 feet behind the first sign.  Notice where the small tree is in relation to the sign in both photos.  Judging by the first photo it looks like the posts are barely holding that sign up and Ohio DOT more than likely replaced the sign with the incorrect "Columbus" spelling.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

J N Winkler

Quote from: amroad17 on December 20, 2016, 03:09:41 PM^ It looks as if the "u" was put on upside down--as if that letter had fallen off and was put back on the sign incorrectly.  Notice that the "u" and the "n" is basically the same shape.  Rather interchangeable, right?

This, of course, is assuming the sign is the same exact one in both the above photos.  To me, it looks like it is.

Hold it, the second (new) sign looks like it has been put up about 10-15 feet behind the first sign.  Notice where the small tree is in relation to the sign in both photos.  Judging by the first photo it looks like the posts are barely holding that sign up and Ohio DOT more than likely replaced the sign with the incorrect "Columbus" spelling.

I think your first explanation (field repair of the same sign) is more likely to be correct.  The apparent difference in position of posts WRT vegetation looks to me entirely like an artifact of different camera position and angle.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

Pranksters, perhaps? I think Ohio uses demountable copy. Some miscreants with a rivet gun could accomplish the inversion of the subject letter.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

thenetwork

Quote from: hbelkins on December 20, 2016, 10:32:04 PM
Pranksters, perhaps? I think Ohio uses demountable copy. Some miscreants with a rivet gun could accomplish the inversion of the subject letter.

About the only place in Ohio where large amounts of true De-mountable (non-button copy) text was on the Ohio Turnpike, but they did away with that in the early 90s about the same time ODOT was phasing out button copy.

Neighboring Kentucky still uses de-mountable copy on most of their BGSs.

74/171FAN

So for some reason, heading to the Midtown Tunnel on US 58 WB from Norfolk has more references to the I-264 Toll than the US 58 Toll.  The latter one is the true error since the Midtown Tunnel is not I-264.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Quillz

Found this one in the Arcata Marsh a few days back:

CA-299 begins north of the city and runs east. The route through Samoa should be CA-255. And miner spades are white-on-green, reflected on another sign not far from this one.

Eth

This assembly has been up for a couple months now. It has all the right pieces but arranged incorrectly - while US 23 does indeed join from the left, US 29/78 do not; they continue straight across the intersection along with GA 8.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: cjk374 on December 17, 2016, 05:28:53 PM
20161217_142915 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

Only possible if you are Dr. Who travelling in the TARDIS.

What is erroneous about this sign?  :hmmm: Either there's nothing wrong or I'm missing something.  :pan:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

hotdogPi

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on February 12, 2017, 10:46:11 AM

What is erroneous about this sign?  :hmmm: Either there's nothing wrong or I'm missing something.  :pan:

US 167 goes both straight and right. US 167 North does not.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

cjk374

Quote from: 1 on February 12, 2017, 10:51:23 AM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on February 12, 2017, 10:46:11 AM

US 167 goes both straight and right. US 167 North does not.

Even worse...167 north goes to the right. Southbound 167 is at the next signal running to the left, which is also where US 80 west turns to join US 167/LA 146 thru downtown Ruston.

This is one of many fine examples of how Louisiana sucks big time at signing routes.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

plain

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 27, 2016, 08:07:50 PM
So for some reason, heading to the Midtown Tunnel on US 58 WB from Norfolk has more references to the I-264 Toll than the US 58 Toll.  The latter one is the true error since the Midtown Tunnel is not I-264.

Not only that, coming from Hampton Blvd SB (VA 337 WB) there's the BGS's that also says I-264 instead of TO I-264... also, Norfolk left out the fact that VA 337 WB follows US 58 EB on Brambleton Ave from that point (of course one of several Virginia wrong-way concurrencies) and VA 337 ALT begins and follows US 58 WB through the Midtown Tunnel
Newark born, Richmond bred

Mapmikey

Quote from: plain on February 18, 2017, 11:24:50 AM
... VA 337 ALT begins and follows US 58 WB through the Midtown Tunnel

There is no evidence, official or otherwise, that this is actually the case.  I used to think this based on logic but it would be conjecture (and contradictory of last route log and traffic logs) to conclude it.

Curious to see what the do with this route given the VA 164 freeway extension (last report I got was that it was physically closed along Turnpike in this area so it is unknown),

plain

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 18, 2017, 01:31:56 PM

There is no evidence, official or otherwise, that this is actually the case.  I used to think this based on logic but it would be conjecture (and contradictory of last route log and traffic logs) to conclude it.

Curious to see what the do with this route given the VA 164 freeway extension (last report I got was that it was physically closed along Turnpike in this area so it is unknown),

Well now that you say that I'm confused too... I wonder how they even intended it to run if it doesn't run through the Midtown? It would have to connect back to mainline VA 337 somehow..

Mapmikey

Quote from: plain on February 18, 2017, 01:40:08 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on February 18, 2017, 01:31:56 PM

Well now that you say that I'm confused too... I wonder how they even intended it to run if it doesn't run through the Midtown? It would have to connect back to mainline VA 337 somehow..

While logical to do so, there is nothing that says it has to connect back up.  VA 258 ALT does not connect to US 258 Bus on both ends.  US 13 ALT in Cape Charles did not connect back up either for a time.

plain

Oh ok gotcha. Then again I've seen stranger routings I guess lmao.
By the way, did you mean US 258 TRUCK? Not even sure why VDOT signed it that way as I'm pretty sure this is mainline US 258 anyway (Google Maps has it labeled as US 258 BYP; the old alignment through Franklin is clearly signed by VDOT as US 258 BUS... even though Franklin itself failed to do so, no surprise here).

Poking around the area on Street View I noticed several sign errors... this has to be one
https://goo.gl/maps/8Ku3H9Gmtr32

Mapmikey

Quote from: plain on February 18, 2017, 03:30:18 PM
Oh ok gotcha. Then again I've seen stranger routings I guess lmao.
By the way, did you mean US 258 TRUCK? Not even sure why VDOT signed it that way as I'm pretty sure this is mainline US 258 anyway (Google Maps has it labeled as US 258 BYP; the old alignment through Franklin is clearly signed by VDOT as US 258 BUS... even though Franklin itself failed to do so, no surprise here).

Poking around the area on Street View I noticed several sign errors... this has to be one
https://goo.gl/maps/8Ku3H9Gmtr32

I do mean 258 Alternate:  https://goo.gl/maps/TBWLXvQ2zLG2

Posted in error as US 258 ALT universally for years but did have some VA 258 shields when I lived in Tidewater in early 90s.

See http://www.vahighways.com/route-log/va241-260.htm#va258a

plain

Oh wow I didn't realize that was even there. It's been a long time since I've been in central Smithfield. I don't know why that was created either.. but Main Street does have what looks to be old pavement in that area so maybe that has something to do with it.

And right around the corner on SB VA 10 BUS is what I believe to be yet another signing error smh
https://goo.gl/maps/qFRsyi5CK122

EDIT: I just realized this assembly is mounted on the street. What the hell VDOT

Quillz

Not around anymore, but here's one I only recently caught...

jakeroot

Quote from: Quillz on February 18, 2017, 04:51:54 PM
Not around anymore, but here's one I only recently caught...

Is this in response to something? I don't get it...

101 north towards the Oregon Coast -- good;
199 towards the 5/Grants Pass -- accurate....

Unless there's something in the background, things seem good to me.

Quillz

"CALIFORNIA" in the I-5 shield... US-199 only junctions with I-5 in Oregon.

The replacement BGS has a neutered I-5 shield.

Rothman

NY 9W at Wemple Road near Glenmont, NY.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Quillz on February 18, 2017, 05:30:27 PM
"CALIFORNIA" in the I-5 shield... US-199 only junctions with I-5 in Oregon.

The replacement BGS has a neutered I-5 shield.

Ahh, I see. Not a particularly surprising error, though. I doubt they had access to an I-5 shield with the word "Oregon" on it; perhaps the standards of the day called for state named interstate shields on overhead signs?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.