AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 04:09:29 PM 
Started by Tom89t - Last post by SignBridge
Relatively new signal at LaGuardia airport, left lane is option right lane is right turn only. 4 section ball and right arrow signal to the left of a standard RYG signal, with another 4 section behind the camera, move back to see the intersection. Sleek but sloppy and not MUTCD compliant

https://maps.app.goo.gl/pc1SNuzHWswkoK9K9

I completely understand what they were going for here, but indeed, not compliant. "Easy" fix though, just swap the signals.

Alternatively, they could keep the signal as-is, change the right signal to all arrows, and add a third all-orb RYG signal on the far left pole.

The second option would be more in line with MUTCD standards and recommendations. There shouldn't be a ball over the rightmost lane on this approach because it's a dedicated turn lane.

Worth noting here is that the Port Authority's traffic signals at JFK and LGA Airports are New Jersey style signals even though they're in New York State. Same type mast-arms and configurations that exist in most of New Jersey. Not sure if that's relevant to this case, but still an interesting point of info.

on: Today at 04:09:12 PM 
Started by Alps - Last post by roadman65
If I recall, NJ-71 itself is an older alignment of what is now NJ-35 in the area.

Or its predecessor.  I believe NJ 35 was NJ 4 once upon a time.

on: Today at 04:04:42 PM 
Started by mass_citizen - Last post by roadman65
Interstate 205's milage and exit numbers don't reset when entering Washington (northbound) or Oregon (southbound).

The 3dis that reset mile markers at state lines are the exception, not the rule.

The only one I know of is I-470 in OH/WV.  I think it's confusing for motorists.  It's only about 10 miles long, so the sequence of exits (going east) is 3,6,1,2.

Do what Washington does on I-205, where the numbers are continued from Oregon having one set in the Portland- Vancouver area.

Massachusetts does not do the same sadly on I-295. One exit in that state it has and could easily sign that one as a continuation of Rhode Islandís numbering

on: Today at 04:03:54 PM 
Started by Max Rockatansky - Last post by TheHighwayMan394
He acts as if saying that Illinois is a flat state is a bad thing. Compared to the other 49 states Illinois is pretty flat.

Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Delaware are all flatter.
So 46th out of 50? That's not very good.

And at least all of those have the ocean/Gulf. Love the Great Lakes and struggle to see myself moving away from them, but they ain't the ocean.

on: Today at 04:02:04 PM 
Started by zzcarp - Last post by StogieGuy7
I'm wondering if other politics happening in Quebec might have influenced the change. The Quiet Revolution was well underway by that point, which included more infrastructure investments and increased involvement by the provincial government; ultimately leading to a pro-sovereignty government being elected in 1976.

Here's a 1955 map showing the old system;  https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/workspace/handleMediaPlayer?lunaMediaId=RUMSEY~8~1~212331~5500358. There were probably a few changes in the 15 years between the map and the system change, but it's a good reference point.

I was going to comment the same thing - seems like a probability, by having its own system it could look more like its own country. Of course this is just speculation

No, I think this "independent streak" certainly played into the renumbering. You'll note that many other pieces of infrastructure have a different look about them in Quebec than anywhere else in Canada  (or North America, for that matter).

on: Today at 03:49:35 PM 
Started by Max Rockatansky - Last post by Flint1979
He acts as if saying that Illinois is a flat state is a bad thing. Compared to the other 49 states Illinois is pretty flat.

Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Delaware are all flatter.
So 46th out of 50? That's not very good.

on: Today at 03:46:43 PM 
Started by flaroads - Last post by formulanone
I actually don't mind these Pennsylvania Turnpike "hybrids", but that 276 is supposed to be an Interstate shield:

on: Today at 03:44:37 PM 
Started by mass_citizen - Last post by elsmere241
I-295 in Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania does as well (though exits aren't numbered in DE).

on: Today at 03:41:01 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by thspfc
Why does everyone care so much about broadcast teams? A few of them are great, most are average, and very few are bad. The only bad ones Iíve ever heard do college football.

on: Today at 03:27:28 PM 
Started by JoePCool14 - Last post by kkt
Here's what I think the minimum design specs for a personal laptop should be:

3 TB solid state drive
64 GB Ram w/ 16 GB dedicated video card
5.5 GHz, I-9, 16 core, Processor
16K ultraHD touchscreen display.

You seem to have misspelled "dream specs"....

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.