News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Virginia cutout havens still remaining?

Started by hbelkins, February 18, 2020, 02:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: froggie on June 12, 2021, 11:39:17 PM
I'll let you off the hook since you're probably not familiar with I-66...😊  That milemarker is right about where a huge park-and-ride is being built as part of the  "Outside the Beltway" project.

Quote from: hbelkins on June 13, 2021, 08:52:34 PM
Yeah, and you clarified it later. I was looking at Street View, and really didn't realize that the Haymarket exit (the end of the urban area) is so close to I-81. I've been on the route a handful of times and it seems farther from Haymarket to the end of the route.

One of my bosses when I was in NoVa lived just off the Haymarket exit (I-66 Exit 40) back in the days when Disney wanted to develop the Mobilgas property.  He became convinced that the Disney America was a sure thing and decided to move before construction was supposed to start.  They week after he closed, Disney backed out due to local opposition.  Ouch.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 15, 2021, 12:00:49 AM
Quote from: froggie on June 12, 2021, 11:39:17 PM
I'll let you off the hook since you're probably not familiar with I-66...😊  That milemarker is right about where a huge park-and-ride is being built as part of the  "Outside the Beltway" project.

Quote from: hbelkins on June 13, 2021, 08:52:34 PM
Yeah, and you clarified it later. I was looking at Street View, and really didn't realize that the Haymarket exit (the end of the urban area) is so close to I-81. I've been on the route a handful of times and it seems farther from Haymarket to the end of the route.

One of my bosses when I was in NoVa lived just off the Haymarket exit (I-66 Exit 40) back in the days when Disney wanted to develop the Mobilgas property.  He became convinced that the Disney America was a sure thing and decided to move before construction was supposed to start.  They week after he closed, Disney backed out due to local opposition.  Ouch.

I think there may have been a Defunctland episode about that on YouTube.

I believe it is this one: 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Anyone know anything about the status of the cutouts in Covington (were a few last time I was there, plus a couple of error US 18 signs) and Clifton Forge (were several my last time there, including a lot of very old ones)?

Looking at another short trip before I go back to work at the office on a semi-permanent basis, and a jaunt up that way a la my recent Bluefield and Tazewell excursion might be in order.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on June 16, 2021, 10:57:07 AM
Anyone know anything about the status of the cutouts in Covington (were a few last time I was there, plus a couple of error US 18 signs) and Clifton Forge (were several my last time there, including a lot of very old ones)?

Looking at another short trip before I go back to work at the office on a semi-permanent basis, and a jaunt up that way a la my recent Bluefield and Tazewell excursion might be in order.

I have not been through those cities in a few years now, so no idea if cutouts are aplenty there still or not...

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 16, 2021, 01:54:14 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 16, 2021, 10:57:07 AM

I have not been through those cities in a few years now, so no idea if cutouts are aplenty there still or not...

Street View is a few years old, but it still shows some in both places.

hbelkins

All cutouts in Covington are gone now, except for one lone remaining West US 60 survivor right at the bridge over the river. Everything has been replaced with small unisigns.

The US 18 errors have been replaced with -- new US 18 errors.

Most of the ones in Clifton Forge are still standing, and I stumbled on quite a few for the twists and turns of VA 188. Seeing a big new shiny sign for that route, which isn't on Street View, led me to a treasure trove of cutouts.

The two sets of borderless cutouts in Pearisburg remain.

hbelkins

Guess I need to get down to Norton to see what they still have, and try to photograph them all. It's only a two-hour-and-change drive, so it would be an easy day trip. I've photographed at the Norton cutouts before, but don't think I've gotten them all.

Avalanchez71

I thought I remembered seeing a bunch in Bristol.  I was through there not too long ago and saw 0.

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 25, 2021, 01:29:09 PM
I thought I remembered seeing a bunch in Bristol.  I was through there not too long ago and saw 0.

The Bristol cutouts have been gone for years. Same with Abingdon.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on June 20, 2021, 06:14:01 PM
All cutouts in Covington are gone now, except for one lone remaining West US 60 survivor right at the bridge over the river. Everything has been replaced with small unisigns.

The US 18 errors have been replaced with -- new US 18 errors.

Most of the ones in Clifton Forge are still standing, and I stumbled on quite a few for the twists and turns of VA 188. Seeing a big new shiny sign for that route, which isn't on Street View, led me to a treasure trove of cutouts.

The two sets of borderless cutouts in Pearisburg remain.

Well boo on that...

There are a couple side streets in Covington (plus VA 18 itself) to check but I am not optimistic given you found they did replace the stray white-border US 220 shield in the neighborhood that constitutes the gap in VA 154.

Can't believe some of the terrible VA 188 cutouts I photographed nearly 15 years ago are still up.

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 25, 2021, 01:42:47 PM
Well boo on that...

There are a couple side streets in Covington (plus VA 18 itself) to check but I am not optimistic given you found they did replace the stray white-border US 220 shield in the neighborhood that constitutes the gap in VA 154.

Can't believe some of the terrible VA 188 cutouts I photographed nearly 15 years ago are still up.

I came into town on VA 18, so i was on the lookout for them. And I did drive several side streets in search of them. There's actually some signage on Riverside Drive now that I didn't see on Street View.

Avalanchez71

What did they do with the old cutouts?

Rothman

I know they've been gone for a while, but I just drove US 340 and was sorry to see them gone.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on June 28, 2021, 09:43:00 PM
I know they've been gone for a while, but I just drove US 340 and was sorry to see them gone.

I stumbled on a random set of US 340 cutouts years ago. I can't remember exactly where it was, though, but it was in a rural area.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on June 28, 2021, 09:49:06 PM
Quote from: Rothman on June 28, 2021, 09:43:00 PM

I stumbled on a random set of US 340 cutouts years ago. I can't remember exactly where it was, though, but it was in a rural area.

The two intersections (SR 613 and SR 674) with US 340 cutouts in Bentonville that I photographed in 2006 are still up in Apr 2018 GMSV.

The last one in Front Royal was replaced within the last 2 years.

milbfan

Quote from: hbelkins on June 25, 2021, 11:54:06 AM
Guess I need to get down to Norton to see what they still have, and try to photograph them all. It's only a two-hour-and-change drive, so it would be an easy day trip. I've photographed at the Norton cutouts before, but don't think I've gotten them all.

You'll still find some, confined to Park Ave NW.  Just went through downtown this evening.

Mapmikey

Drove through Staunton yesterday...VA 254 still has quite a few cutouts on it.

I also visited Covington and confirmed HB's findings.  The one side street set I was aware of was removed and no signage is there now, despite new signage from VA 154 directing US 60-220 traffic to head to that side street.

I also visited Clifton Forge - got my cutout fix there.  VA 188 now has one turn with no signage in either direction and 3 other turns where it is missing in at least one direction.  Plenty of US 60-220 cutouts remain.

The oversize US 60 cutout leaving Covington on I-64 EB and the oversize US 220 cutout leaving Low Moor on 64 EB are still present.

plain

Quote from: Takumi on June 13, 2021, 11:11:58 AM
I think all of the cutouts in Richmond are gone. I spent a few hours driving through the city a couple weeks ago and didn't see any, and I want to say the last known location (147 westbound at 161) had a standard Richmond unisign then. Still some state-name I-195 shields and other 70s stuff floating around though.

Some, but not all, of the US 460 modern cutouts on I-85 have been replaced with standard shields.
I happen to be around The Fan earlier. The last Richmond cutouts are still there, but barely. The tree behind it is leaning to the point that it's touching the signs to and causing them to lean also (and the sidewalk underneath to buckle pretty badly).

Also note the erroneous "EAST". This is Main St, which is VA 147 WB.

I suspect when the tree is removed, the cutouts will definitely be gone.

Images from today

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

The US-1 cutout in Old Town Alexandria just north of King Street was still in place as of Saturday morning.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hunty2022

I think the cutouts around the VA-230/231 intersection in Pratts are all gone, same with the one(s) at the Business US 29/VA-231 intersection.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Mapmikey

Quote from: Hunty2022 on January 02, 2023, 04:14:59 PM
I think the cutouts around the VA-230/231 intersection in Pratts are all gone, same with the one(s) at the Business US 29/VA-231 intersection.

This is correct.

Froggie reported to me not long ago that the VA 55 cutout in The Plains is still there.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 02, 2023, 04:34:00 PM
Froggie reported to me not long ago that the VA 55 cutout in The Plains is still there.

My favorite.  It is left-side mounted.  https://www.google.com/maps/@38.861911,-77.7731407,3a,15y,198.15h,94.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGA8MQPlneOspmY3PJ-p91w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I've used The Plains Road/Halfway Road between Middleburg and The Plains on numerous occasions (known as Loudoun Avenue in The Plains), but I wasn't aware until recent years that this was the historic original route of US-15.  After US-15 was officially removed to the current route between Haymarket and Aldie in 1940 (some of which had not been paved yet), this route was bannered as Temp US-15. 

froggie

November 9th.

SR 601 coming in from Haymarket (via SR 681) is one of my favorite drives in the region.

roadman65

This is correct.

Here?
https://goo.gl/maps/3Ruuuy226ZYavV3C9
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on June 05, 2023, 04:06:48 AM

This is correct.

Here?
https://goo.gl/maps/3Ruuuy226ZYavV3C9

Correct.

I can also report that the last cutout in Christiansburg on US 460 Bus near Depot St was still there this past Wednesday...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.