News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Major sports annoyances

Started by Billy F 1988, May 01, 2021, 08:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tchafe1978 on May 02, 2021, 11:00:58 PM
My major annoyance is when a certain start quarterback makes it known that he no longer wants to play for his team because he feels slighted by said team over a draft pick last year that he wasn't consulted on. Look, the GM and the coach run the team, not the player. You just had the season of your life, so obviously it motivated you. Your team was a couple plays one way or the other from making the Super Bowl, so suck it up, buttercup, get back out there, and lead your team back to the promised land. You're only one member of the team. Oh, and don't even get me started on all  the drama going on in the media about it all. It wouldn't surprise me if either a reporter looking to break the next big story spilled something he shouldn't have, or if it was said player's agent trying to blow things up in hopes of a new contract. Even though the GM and coach have said they've made trips to meet with the player, so there must be a little something going on, but the player hasn't even made a public statement yet. Let's just wait to hear what he says, shall we?
You just Love to see it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

The fact that sports are so important to some people that they simply refuse to accept that you may not be interested in their game of choice, and are so wrapped up in it that they have nothing to talk to you about if you aren't. Same people often assume that random service employees keep abreast of games that are happening that day and act offended if you can't regurgitate the score to whatever random game they were interested in.

People that get in a pissy mood and treat people around them like shit when their team loses.

The fact that pro sports is essentially "pick which company you want to do well". It would be weird as hell if you cheered on Amazon or Target, so why is it a thing to sit around and hope that Dallas Cowboys Football Club, Ltd. does better than New England Patriots LLC?

The NCAA, in general.

The fact that during Saturdays in the fall the entire west half of my city, and most of the businesses in town, are inaccessible due to traffic from football. (It's just football, too. These same people are nowhere to be found for basketball games or, god forbid, something like softball or swim meets.)

The fact that sports and schools are so inextricably linked in the US. I've seen sports interfere with education time and time again, from teachers tweaking grades to keep star players eligible to classes outright being canceled in deference of sports games. They should be separate organizations entirely, and not be a drain on the scant resources schools are given.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Punting on 4th & 1.

Players that squeeze every dime out of a team then wonder why they can't afford any players to help them.

People who cannot accept Brady's greatness.  Quits and goes to a new team, starts over, wins it all, everyone still complains.

thspfc

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2021, 12:25:46 AM
The fact that sports are so important to some people that they simply refuse to accept that you may not be interested in their game of choice, and are so wrapped up in it that they have nothing to talk to you about if you aren't. Same people often assume that random service employees keep abreast of games that are happening that day and act offended if you can't regurgitate the score to whatever random game they were interested in.
"Don't tell me what to do with my free time"

QuoteThe fact that pro sports is essentially "pick which company you want to do well". It would be weird as hell if you cheered on Amazon or Target, so why is it a thing to sit around and hope that Dallas Cowboys Football Club, Ltd. does better than New England Patriots LLC?
"Here's what you shouldn't do in your free time"

Congratulations, this clownish post means that your opinion on sports will not be of value to me.

hotdogPi

It would be weird as hell if you cheered on Amazon or Target, so why is it a thing to sit around and hope that Dallas Cowboys Football Club, Ltd. does better than New England Patriots LLC?

There are several reasons to root for a regular company:
1. You work for it or have worked for it.
2. You own stock in it.
3. You really dislike a competitor (whether it's because you had a bad experience or because of boycotts).

I'm in favor of Southwest Airlines, Amtrak, Apple, Costco, Trader Joe's, 99 Restaurants, Barnes & Noble, and Tim Hortons, while I'm against Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Chick-fil-A, Sprint, Longhorn Steakhouse, Mattress Firm, Hyundai, and Walmart. It doesn't seem that unreasonable to root for or against a company.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NWI_Irish96

My major sports annoyance is how late games end on weeknights. I live in the Central time zone now, so it's less annoying than when I lived in Eastern, but still annoying.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

OCGuy81

Kind of touching on expensive parking at the stadium (which I completely agree on) is when a team gets a new stadium that's closer to the city center, and how tailgating is frowned upon, or can't even be done.

My best example here is San Diego.  When they played out at Qualcomm, that was a fun place to tailgate.  Once they built Petco Park, it was clear the city wanted you to support the Gaslamp Quarter businesses and overpay for food and drink before going into the stadium and overpaying for food and drink.

SP Cook

The fact that sports and schools are so inextricably linked in the US.

This is the Hayes Rule.  "Most people who never attended college assume the quality of a college is proportional to its sports teams."

It is true.  Ask any average Joe to name "the best schools" in the country, and, after maybe a couple of Ivies, you will get a list of Division I football schools.  Works even better within a state.  Ask "what is the best college in our state" and 90+% will tell you the named for the state football school.  This is, BTW, false in more of the 41 states with a Division I football program than it is true, even if you limit the discussion to public schools. 

Why do they do it?  To make average people feel connected to some college they really have no connection to, and thus to not question what money pits many of them are.

In some alternative universe without college sports, there are states where more people know what town the state prison is in than the state university.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SP Cook on May 03, 2021, 11:15:44 AM

This is the Hayes Rule.  "Most people who never attended college assume the quality of a college is proportional to its sports teams."

It is true.  Ask any average Joe to name "the best schools" in the country, and, after maybe a couple of Ivies, you will get a list of Division I football schools.  Works even better within a state.  Ask "what is the best college in our state" and 90+% will tell you the named for the state football school.  This is, BTW, false in more of the 41 states with a Division I football program than it is true, even if you limit the discussion to public schools. 

Why do they do it?  To make average people feel connected to some college they really have no connection to, and thus to not question what money pits many of them are.

In some alternative universe without college sports, there are states where more people know what town the state prison is in than the state university.

Yet there are rare occasions where the quality of a university actually soars primarily because of its sports teams.

Before 1920 Notre Dame was virtually indistinguishable from other Midwestern Catholic universities like Marquette, DePaul, Detroit, Dayton, Xavier or Creighton. Leaving your home state to attend a Catholic university in another state was quite rare. Thanks in large part to strong anti-Catholic bias by one giant asshole in Ann Arbor, Notre Dame wasn't allowed to play Big Ten schools in football and was forced to travel to the East Coast for games. Knute Rockne made it pay off and the rest is history. Now Notre Dame draws students from all 50 states and several countries.

1995hoo

Then you have people who claim to dislike a university solely because of its sports teams. I have some friends who can't stand that I went to law school at Duke because they hate Duke men's basketball. I understand disliking Duke basketball since I went a different ACC school as an undergrad, but that's irrelevant as a real-world consideration. My reaction was along the lines of, "You idiots, I don't play basketball. Athletics didn't affect the decision at all. If I were an athlete, that might be different, but I'm not." If all things were truly equal as to two universities, then I could see the athletics program maybe being a tiebreaker, but all things are never truly equal.

It is definitely true that undergraduate applications to Duke spiked–and admissions became far more competitive–when the basketball team started routinely making the Final Four in the 1980s (1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, and 1994....quite a run).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 03, 2021, 11:37:25 AM

Yet there are rare occasions where the quality of a university actually soars primarily because of its sports teams.

Before 1920 Notre Dame was virtually indistinguishable from other Midwestern Catholic universities like Marquette, DePaul, Detroit, Dayton, Xavier or Creighton. Leaving your home state to attend a Catholic university in another state was quite rare. Thanks in large part to strong anti-Catholic bias by one giant asshole in Ann Arbor, Notre Dame wasn't allowed to play Big Ten schools in football and was forced to travel to the East Coast for games. Knute Rockne made it pay off and the rest is history. Now Notre Dame draws students from all 50 states and several countries.
Notre Dame is actually a good school however.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2021, 01:43:55 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 03, 2021, 11:37:25 AM

Notre Dame is actually a good school however.

Yes, but the point is that it wasn't a really good school until the football team made it popular. Why else would a Catholic university in South Bend become a better school than ones in Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit and Cincinnati?

Flint1979

Northwestern, Michigan and Notre Dame are the only three schools in the Midwest that I can think of that are academics over sports.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 03, 2021, 02:07:41 PM
Northwestern, Michigan and Notre Dame are the only three schools in the Midwest that I can think of that are academics over sports.
University of Chicago?

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2021, 02:20:05 PM
University of Chicago?
University of Chicago is a Division III school in sports.

GaryV

Michigan Tech?
Kettering?
Lawrence Tech?
Any of the MIAA schools?

kevinb1994

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 02, 2021, 03:08:25 PM
Quote from: thspfc on May 02, 2021, 08:56:21 AM
At this point I'm not sure if Alps is joking, or looking for a reason to hate the Patriots. Either way it's funny how hard he tries.
I think he's a Jets fan.
J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets. Might be enough to root for them this upcoming season. I'm more of a Giants fan, though.

kevinb1994

Quote from: texaskdog on May 03, 2021, 12:26:33 AM
Punting on 4th & 1.

Players that squeeze every dime out of a team then wonder why they can't afford any players to help them.

People who cannot accept Brady's greatness.  Quits and goes to a new team, starts over, wins it all, everyone still complains.
So what? I mean, he's still gonna be the GOAT, but...

kphoger

Soccer fields are too big.  Heck, why not just play on a 40-acre square?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

OCGuy81

Quote from: kevinb1994 on May 03, 2021, 03:18:59 PM
Punting on 4th & 1.

I'm a Packers fan, but I'll admit Brady is the GOAT.  I think he's a cyborg, but yeah, hard to deny his talent and the records he's set.

kevinb1994

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 03, 2021, 03:31:01 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on May 03, 2021, 03:18:59 PM
Punting on 4th & 1.

I'm a Packers fan, but I'll admit Brady is the GOAT.  I think he's a cyborg, but yeah, hard to deny his talent and the records he's set.
Yup. I'm also a Packers fan, BTW. Small cities don't always get the respect they deserve.

1995hoo

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 03, 2021, 02:34:06 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2021, 02:20:05 PM
University of Chicago?
University of Chicago is a Division III school in sports.

Nobody ever said the discussion was limited to a particular NCAA division. If anything, you're arguably underscoring the point about putting athletics above everything else. Interestingly, the University of Chicago was a founding member of the Big Ten (but withdrew in 1946).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

michravera

Quote from: Alps on May 01, 2021, 09:22:57 PM
basketball: i like the option for the team being fouled to keep the ball instead of shooting 2. because my major annoyance is the last 2 minutes of the game.
baseball: the &^%!*@$#(*! runner on 2nd rule. i have no idea why COVID justifies it. even worse than the 7 inning doubleheader.
hockey: nothing. love this sport.
football: the patriots and goodell

Two Hockey rules that I would love to see in Basketball: Delayed Fouls and Live Ball Substitution.
For those of you not familiar with Hockey, when a member of the offense is fouled, the official signals the foul, but play continues until the defense controls the ball (They call it a "puck" in hockey, but it's the same thing). Once the defense has CONTROLLED the ball, play stops and the penalty is assessed. It seems right to award one foul shot, if the play ends in a score and maybe repossession (or two or three shots later in the game to discourage rampant fouling) if no score results.
In Hockey, players may enter or exit the floor in a specified area, but may do so at any time that it suits them provided that the exiting player leaves before the substitute enters. In fact, it is common in Hockey for the team on offense to hold the ball or throw the ball into an unoccupied area of the floor in order to allow for their side to substitute.

Alps

Michigan is a balance - it has programs offering better academics, especially in engineering, but a lot of the main programs are comparable to other Midwestern schools. I'm a Michigan fan because I very nearly went there for undergrad for engineering.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Alps on May 03, 2021, 06:06:31 PM
Michigan is a balance - it has programs offering better academics, especially in engineering, but a lot of the main programs are comparable to other Midwestern schools. I'm a Michigan fan because I very nearly went there for undergrad for engineering.
My sister very nearly went to Miami (FL) for undergrad. That's the other end of the Dixie Highway. She should've stayed in NJ, however, as TCNJ would've been much closer to home than even American (in DC) seemed at one time. She eventually redeemed herself and became an undergrad at Rutgers once she finished her redemption path at Raritan Valley (my mother made a similar trek, but started at Middlesex, a school I almost went to myself at one point-also visited RVCC and Rutgers plus NJIT-I've done Special Olympics at Stockton College (it's now a university) and TCNJ.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.