News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

ADOT approves final route for the Pinal County north-south freeway

Started by KeithE4Phx, August 24, 2021, 12:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithE4Phx

It will start at US 60, roughly where the Superstition Freeway ends (it's a normal 4 lane highway east of there), meandering through Pinal County to the east of AZ 79 and Florence, finally paralleling AZ 87 to its east, ending at I-10 just east of Eloy. 

They've been calling it the Pinal North-South Freeway, but I'm sure it'll eventually be named for some politician that doesn't deserve it.  :no:

The currently under construction Gateway Freeway, AZ 24, will also be extended to meet it.

https://azdot.gov/adot-news/adot-selects-final-north-south-corridor-route-pinal-county
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

kdk

I hadn't heard much about this freeway in the past 10 years, assumed it was pushed back indefinitely when the housing planned in that corridor never materialized.

Glad to see it moving forward, a more direct connection between the eastern part of the East Valley and Tucson is certainly needed even today.  Having to either backtrack towards I-10 or taking two lane rural roads is tough from Mesa, Gilbert, etc.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kdk on August 24, 2021, 04:01:42 PM
I hadn't heard much about this freeway in the past 10 years, assumed it was pushed back indefinitely when the housing planned in that corridor never materialized.

Glad to see it moving forward, a more direct connection between the eastern part of the East Valley and Tucson is certainly needed even today.  Having to either backtrack towards I-10 or taking two lane rural roads is tough from Mesa, Gilbert, etc.

AZ 87 (what's left it) is kind of a slog but I didn't think US 60 and AZ 79 were too bad of a detour for east valley locations.  Despite the freeway corridor being needed I find it far fetched to envision Coolridge and Florence being consuming by outward urban sprawl from Phoenix. 

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 24, 2021, 04:11:02 PM

AZ 87 (what's left it) is kind of a slog but I didn't think US 60 and AZ 79 were too bad of a detour for east valley locations.  Despite the freeway corridor being needed I find it far fetched to envision Coolridge and Florence being consuming by outward urban sprawl from Phoenix.

Right now, the fastest/safest routes for Mesa to/from Tucson are 60/79 during the day (79 is dangerous at night due to idiots trying to pass where they shouldn't), and I-10 to AZ 87 to AZ 287 to Attaway Rd, and through San Tan Valley to Ellsworth Rd at night.  The alternative is taking the 10 to the 202 around Chandler and Gilbert, which is miles out of the way, not to mention one of the most boring drives in the country.

This freeway will be a godsend if/when it ever gets built.  I hope I'm still around when it opens.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

howlincoyote2k1

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 24, 2021, 07:42:23 PM

AZ 87 (what’s left it) is kind of a slog but I didn’t think US 60 and AZ 79 were too bad of a detour for east valley locations.  Despite the freeway corridor being needed I find it far fetched to envision Coolridge and Florence being consuming by outward urban sprawl from Phoenix.

Right now, the fastest/safest routes for Mesa to/from Tucson are 60/79 during the day (79 is dangerous at night due to idiots trying to pass where they shouldn't), and I-10 to AZ 87 to AZ 287 to Attaway Rd, and through San Tan Valley to Ellsworth Rd at night.  The alternative is taking the 10 to the 202 around Chandler and Gilbert, which is miles out of the way, not to mention one of the most boring drives in the country.

This freeway will be a godsend if/when it ever gets built.  I hope I'm still around when it opens.

That freeway is sorely needed, especially (as you stated) with the far East Valley being such a pain to get to from points east on I-10.

79 needs to be 4-laned ASAP as well.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: howlincoyote2k1 on August 28, 2021, 03:33:31 AM

With this new freeway, I highly doubt that 79 will ever be 4-laned.

ztonyg

That freeway is sorely needed, especially (as you stated) with the far East Valley being such a pain to get to from points east on I-10.

This freeway and the conversion of AZ 85 to a freeway from Gila Bend - Buckeye are both badly needed.

kernals12

Quote from: ztonyg on August 28, 2021, 02:17:41 PM

This freeway and the conversion of AZ 85 to a freeway from Gila Bend - Buckeye are both badly needed.

Would this AZ 85 freeway be a part of the new Interstate 11 or complement it?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on August 29, 2021, 08:41:15 AM
Quote from: ztonyg on August 28, 2021, 02:17:41 PM

Would this AZ 85 freeway be a part of the new Interstate 11 or complement it?

Unlikely, most plans seem to have it end at I-10 west of the White Tanks or doubling back to I-10 near Maricopa or Casa Grande.

kdk

Yep, I have done them all.  60 to 79 isn't bad if heading down towards Oro Valley, but it feels pretty dangerous especially at night, and at some point there will be a slow vehicle that I'll need to pass.

Used to back track to Arizona Ave which becomes AZ 587 south of Riggs down to I-10 but that two lane road has gotten very busy as others use this too.

Gilbert Road down to 87, then to AZ 187 over to I-10 isn't bad but adds a few miles.

kernals12

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 24, 2021, 12:23:57 AM
It will start at US 60, roughly where the Superstition Freeway ends (it's a normal 4 lane highway east of there), meandering through Pinal County to the east of AZ 79 and Florence, finally paralleling AZ 87 to its east, ending at I-10 just east of Eloy. 

They've been calling it the Pinal North-South Freeway, but I'm sure it'll eventually be named for some politician that doesn't deserve it.  :no:

The currently under construction Gateway Freeway, AZ 24, will also be extended to meet it.

https://azdot.gov/adot-news/adot-selects-final-north-south-corridor-route-pinal-county

John McCain Freeway works

kernals12

https://www.apachejunctionaz.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2085

Groundbreaking for the first homes at Superstition Vistas was just a few days ago. ADOT better get cracking.

DJStephens

They've been calling it the Pinal North-South Freeway, but I'm sure it'll eventually be named for some politician that doesn't deserve it.  :no: https://azdot.gov/adot-news/adot-selects-final-north-south-corridor-route-pinal-county

Maybe Jeff Flake, that senator who bailed.   Seems I'd want to keep that job, having been able to reach that pinnacle, or had the necessary connections/wealth/influence to achieve it. 
How much "meandering" will this route take??  Where exactly on I-10 will the interchange be?    The above report shows it being W of the current corridor.  Wouldn't upgrading US - 60 to Florence Jct make more sense?   Upgrading what you already have??   Seems that double barreling existing state Route 79, in places, with some new terrain bypasses wasn't considered for some reason.  Bypasses around Coolidge and Florence.  The recently completed Eloy Interchange (believe it's Exit 212) maybe that could have been built as a T Directional.   Appears to be a bit of Duplication and Waste here.   

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: DJStephens on December 11, 2021, 01:28:40 PM

They've been calling it the Pinal North-South Freeway, but I'm sure it'll eventually be named for some politician that doesn't deserve it.  :no: https://azdot.gov/adot-news/adot-selects-final-north-south-corridor-route-pinal-county

Maybe Jeff Flake, that senator who bailed.   Seems I'd want to keep that job, having been able to reach that pinnacle, or had the necessary connections/wealth/influence to achieve it. 

Not a snowball's chance in Coolidge.  Flake is persona non grata in Arizona.  His political career in this state is over, for a lot more reasons than just opposing Trump.

QuoteHow much "meandering" will this route take??  Where exactly on I-10 will the interchange be?    The above report shows it being W of the current corridor.

Per the usual inaccurate ADOT map graphic, it's supposed to connect to I-10 a couple miles southeast of the current az 87 interchange.

QuoteWouldn't upgrading US - 60 to Florence Jct make more sense?   Upgrading what you already have??   

There will be a new US 60 bypass of Gold Canyon built as part of this new freeway.  One report I've seen, not shown on this map, is that the new freeway will connect to US 60 on that bypass.  There are other upgrades to US 60 being done now, but they are mostly replacing old bridges in the Globe/Miami region.

QuoteSeems that double barreling existing state Route 79, in places, with some new terrain bypasses wasn't considered for some reason.  Bypasses around Coolidge and Florence.  The recently completed Eloy Interchange (believe it's Exit 212) maybe that could have been built as a T Directional.   Appears to be a bit of Duplication and Waste here.   

The main purposes of this freeway are (Priority 1) for traffic in and out of San Tan Valley, and (Priority 2) a route from the East Valley to Tucson that doesn't involve going all the way to Phoenix via the 202, or using AZ 87 either all the way to Chandler or just to Coolidge and then meandering through the San Tan Valley surface streets.  It has little to do with AZ 79 since that road is little-traveled south of Florence, and will likely remain as-is.

Another issue might be eminent domain.  South of Florence is a lot of large ranches, who's owners likely won't take too kindly to government condemning their property to build a road.

kernals12

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 11, 2021, 07:21:21 PM

Not a snowball's chance in Coolidge.  Flake is persona non grata in Arizona.  His political career in this state is over, for a lot more reasons than just opposing Trump.

QuoteHow much "meandering" will this route take??  Where exactly on I-10 will the interchange be?    The above report shows it being W of the current corridor.

Per the usual inaccurate ADOT map graphic, it's supposed to connect to I-10 a couple miles southeast of the current az 87 interchange.

QuoteWouldn't upgrading US - 60 to Florence Jct make more sense?   Upgrading what you already have??   

There will be a new US 60 bypass of Gold Canyon built as part of this new freeway.  One report I've seen, not shown on this map, is that the new freeway will connect to US 60 on that bypass.  There are other upgrades to US 60 being done now, but they are mostly replacing old bridges in the Globe/Miami region.

QuoteSeems that double barreling existing state Route 79, in places, with some new terrain bypasses wasn't considered for some reason.  Bypasses around Coolidge and Florence.  The recently completed Eloy Interchange (believe it's Exit 212) maybe that could have been built as a T Directional.   Appears to be a bit of Duplication and Waste here.   

The main purposes of this freeway are (Priority 1) for traffic in and out of San Tan Valley, and (Priority 2) a route from the East Valley to Tucson that doesn't involve going all the way to Phoenix via the 202, or using AZ 87 either all the way to Chandler or just to Coolidge and then meandering through the San Tan Valley surface streets.  It has little to do with AZ 79 since that road is little-traveled south of Florence, and will likely remain as-is.

Another issue might be eminent domain.  South of Florence is a lot of large ranches, who's owners likely won't take too kindly to government condemning their property to build a road.

That's too bad. ADOT would do wonders for water conservation by paving over farmland with asphalt.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on December 11, 2021, 09:12:02 PM

That's too bad. ADOT would do wonders for water conservation by paving over farmland with asphalt.

Ranchers don't tend to be amongst the groups most willing to sell land parcels for infrastructure development. 

KeithE4Phx

It's not farmland.  It's open desert.

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 11, 2021, 09:34:31 PM

Ranchers don't tend to be amongst the groups most willing to sell land parcels for infrastructure development.
I think the opposite is true. They're certainly less bitter about giving up their property to highway development than homeowners, businesses, conservation groups, or Indian tribes.

kernals12

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 11, 2021, 09:55:18 PM

Open desert isn't patches of green squares

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on December 11, 2021, 09:57:58 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 11, 2021, 09:34:31 PM

I think the opposite is true. They're certainly less bitter about giving up their property to highway development than homeowners, businesses, conservation groups, or Indian tribes.

It doesn't mean they won't want the best price they can get.  A lot of ranchers have the means to hold up eminent domain in court so can get what they see as a more equitable price for land parcels.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: kernals12 on December 11, 2021, 09:59:05 PM

I'm not talking about the area south of Coolidge along AZ 87, where there certainly is farming.  I'm talking about along AZ 79, which IS privately-owned open desert. 

Farmers have been selling out to developers in the SE Valley/Pinal County for decades.  Those who own ranch land along AZ 79 between Florence and Oracle Junction aren't as inclined to do so.  They have the political clout to keep it from happening.  Not worth the effort.

kernals12

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 11, 2021, 11:15:57 PM

I'm not talking about the area south of Coolidge along AZ 87, where there certainly is farming.  I'm talking about along AZ 79, which IS privately-owned open desert. 

Farmers have been selling out to developers in the SE Valley/Pinal County for decades.  Those who own ranch land along AZ 79 between Florence and Oracle Junction aren't as inclined to do so.  They have the political clout to keep it from happening.  Not worth the effort.

I guess we were thinking of different highways

DJStephens

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 11, 2021, 09:55:18 PM

Yes that "preferred" corridor is meandering.  Have to wonder, what and why is that sizable Jog to the E, near the center of the proposed route for?   Can't blow up map. 
   Simply mentioned following US - 60 to Florence Jct, as a way to get that corridor completely converted to limited access Frwy.  Killing two birds with one stone.   Following 79 S of Florence Jct, would simply entail acquiring an additional 200 feet of ROW width, through largely open desert and scrub.  Maintain ranch access gates.  Completing the Frwy "gap" between the E end of the Superstition Frwy and the expressway grade corridor E of Florence Jct and Superior, would be useful.  Following US - 60 and State 79 might be the easier i.e. cheapest way to get a direct route to Tucson, although a few miles longer.   
   Florence Jct is a bit E, as the San Tan Valley lies to its SW.  If the purpose or the intent is to "drain"  traffic from new and sprouting subdivisions in the San Tan Valley, why even have a section N of the proposed State Rt 24 extension?   Then they could meander it all over the place. 
   Just seems if the intent is to have a connector to facilitate travel to, and from Tucson, make it straighter and more direct.   

Zonie

It likely jogs that far to the east because it's mostly farmland out that way.  Probably lower ROW acquisition costs. 

DJStephens

Figured maybe it was to avoid Casa Grande National Monument, but believe that is farther WSW of what they have proposed here.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.