News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bombogenesis

Started by 02 Park Ave, January 03, 2018, 05:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 06, 2018, 12:18:26 PMWind storms in Europe are really only named in some countries (UK, Ireland) - take 'ex-Ophelia' for example.
bad example. While it was part of the windstorm season, it wasn't named in it as it had already been named and they decided not to rename it 'Brian'.

Norway called Desmond 'Synne'. Angus was 'Nannette' in France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany. 'Some countries' seems to be most of them that get Atlantic weather! Denmark and Sweden also name storms that are relevant to them. France, Spain and Portugal announced co-ordinated systematic names at the beginning of last month and have had Ana, Bruno and Carmen.

I gather the UK & Ireland and Franco-Iberian names list will be co-ordinated so as to be the same next season. At least that will mean less chance of having to pronounce Gaelic names (it's phonetic, but with different sounds to English). I'd imagine that the Dutch, Danes, Deutsch, etc will want in too and will have one Europe-wide system for naming North Atlantic extra-tropical cyclones.
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 06, 2018, 03:04:53 PMThe Met Office in the UK names winter storms.
Not quite. The Met Office, along with Met Éireann, name winter storms.

We had Eleanor (very English name - even though it's Greek via Provençal) earlier this week, and the next one will be Fionn (very Irish name that English people can't pronounce properly - I gather it's Fy-unn).

02 Park Ave

Has W.S. Riley been classified as a bombogenesis yet?
C-o-H

froggie

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: froggie on March 02, 2018, 12:51:16 PM
W.S. what...?

Winter Storm Riley. It's The Weather Channel's weak-ass, lame system of naming particularly impactful storms.

US71

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 02, 2018, 04:11:49 PM
W.S. what...?

Winter Storm Riley. It's The Weather Channel's weak-ass, lame system of naming particularly impactful storms.

Riley will likely be followed by W.S. Quinn

jp the roadgeek

W.S. what...?

An idea that was stolen from a station here in Hartford that has been naming winter storms for over 50 years.  This particular storm was not named because most of the area received rain, with only higher elevations getting significant snow.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: US71 on March 02, 2018, 05:08:22 PM
W.S. what...?

Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Alps on March 03, 2018, 12:47:01 AM
Quote from: US71 on March 02, 2018, 05:08:22 PM
W.S. what...?
Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman?

Now that's a throwback to a time I thought I'd largely forgotten. I remember my mom watching re-runs of that while I was a young-ish kid. Hell, I wasn't even a year old when the show originally first started airing.

froggie

W.S. what...?

Oh I know.  My point was that those of us who do REAL, operational meteorology (as opposed to showtime ratings grabs) do not use such names.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: froggie on March 03, 2018, 07:54:31 AM
Oh I know.  My point was that those of us who do REAL, operational meteorology (as opposed to showtime ratings grabs) do not use such names.

Ah, right. Sometimes it's hard to tell seriousness from sarcasm on the Internet. ;-)

US71

W.S. what...?

"The National Weather Service does not name winter storms because a winter storm's impact can vary from one location to another, and storms can weaken and redevelop, making it difficult to define where one ends and another begins"

Hurricane Rex

W.S. what...?

Only tropical systems deserve to be named.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

US71

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on March 04, 2018, 02:37:02 AM
W.S. what...?

Only tropical systems deserve to be named.

"The Weather Channel has confused media spin with science and public safety."  --  AccuWeather President Joel Myers

02 Park Ave

The next nor'easter, called by some "W.S. Quinn", is anticipated to hit the U.S. east coast Wednesday night.

All of the damaged caused by the previous nor'easter, called by some "W.S. Riley", has not been taken care of yet and may not have been by then.
C-o-H

US71

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 05, 2018, 01:46:50 PM
The next nor'easter, called by some "W.S. Quinn", is anticipated to hit the U.S. east coast Wednesday night.

All of the damaged caused by the previous nor'easter, called by some "W.S. Riley", has not been taken care of yet and may not have been by then.

Only on The Weather Channel does R come before Q

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US71 on March 05, 2018, 01:55:23 PM

Only on The Weather Channel does R come before Q

It didn't.

Quinn has been a slow-moving storm, which stared in the Pacific Northwest on 2/28.  Riley was a faster storm, which didn't approach the US until 3/1.  Even though the Weather Channel shouldn't be naming these storms anyway, Quinn technically did form and hit the US prior to Riley.

Now, in reality, here's another issue with these storms that you typically don't see with tropical storms.  Quinn is drifting across the country, and will meet up with another low pressure system off the VA/NC coast, and move northwards.  In the tropical storm world, these two systems would have had separate identities.  In the Weather Channel world, they will just mostly ignore that 2nd low pressure system, and simply give it the identity of the 1st low pressure system.

Being that nearly no one remembers what storms A-P were named and what they did, anything the Weather Channel wants to do is pretty much made up anyway, and by Friday no one will remember this one either.

froggie

jp the roadgeek

Around here, it will be called Winter Storm Elsa.

www.wfsb.com/story/36804227/channel-3s-reporters-name-this-seasons-storms
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ET21

Around here, it was called a late winter storm system
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

02 Park Ave

Verizon has sent out an e-mail this evening advising their customers on how to recover from the forthcoming storm.  They identify the storm as "Winter Storm Quinn" several times in the notification.

The odd thing is that Verizon dropped The Weather Channel from their fios TV system several years ago and now they are using The Weather Channel's name for the storm.
C-o-H

US71

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 06, 2018, 10:36:39 PM
Verizon has sent out an e-mail this evening advising their customers on how to recover from the forthcoming storm.  They identify the storm as "Winter Storm Quinn" several times in the notification.

The odd thing is that Verizon dropped The Weather Channel from their fios TV system several years ago and now they are using The Weather Channel's name for the storm.

Quinn, you say?

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 06, 2018, 10:36:39 PM

:-D
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

02 Park Ave

This current nor'easter is forecast to bombogenesis.
C-o-H

US71

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 12, 2018, 10:29:40 PM
This current nor'easter is forecast to bombogenesis.

WS Skylar

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.