News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Windows 10 october update glitches

Started by Stephane Dumas, October 07, 2018, 01:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: SectorZ on February 21, 2019, 10:27:41 AM
I did the update a few weeks ago. Amazingly, no bugs. More amazingly, a few minor bugs before the update were gone (very minor - but nonetheless now gone).
Were you able to restore any apps? Because it looks like I'm going to have to do that.

Oh, well. If I can't log back onto here or any other website, you can blame it on Microsoft.

SectorZ

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 01, 2019, 08:44:09 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on February 21, 2019, 10:27:41 AM
I did the update a few weeks ago. Amazingly, no bugs. More amazingly, a few minor bugs before the update were gone (very minor - but nonetheless now gone).
Were you able to restore any apps? Because it looks like I'm going to have to do that.

Oh, well. If I can't log back onto here or any other website, you can blame it on Microsoft.

I didn't lose any apps if that's what you're asking. Anything I had still works fine, and a tiny bug in Excel went away with the update.

I feel your pain though. These massive updates are like digital Russian Roulette. They need to dial them back to once a year at this point. There is such little change per update for such a massive hassle. Personally I've lucked out with all the updates but that doesn't make me a fan of them.

Rothman

BSOD errors led me to discover that the October update had never been installed.

Not sure what's worse now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Meanwhile, on Linux, we do major .0 version updates every six months and it's trivial.

For Windows 11, Microsoft needs to scrap everything, every DLL, every library, every API, start fresh, and incorporate it all into a RPM/DEB style package manager. That way if some app requires kadfklasdvfasd.dll v.1.1.3 and another requires v.1.0.0 then the conflict can get resolved before you start overwriting files. Bonus points if you can upgrade the OS kernel without requiring a reboot (of course you have to reboot to switch to the new kernel, but Linux allows you to keep executing the old kernel until you choose to initiate the reboot yourself).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

It's amazing how much easier updates are on Linux.  I can do a full check/download/install in far less time than it takes Windows to notice there are even any updates.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

I'm still trying to sign back onto everything, but I still have to tell Dell about my defective monitor.

D-Dey65

Well, this update has proven to cause some of the same problems, and the only difference is I was able to save many of my files.  Unfortunately, many of my passwords are missing, and so are a lot of my programs. So once again, fuck you, Microsoft!

kphoger

A Windows 10 update a while ago tanked my internet on my work computer.  Whenever I lock down the VPN for one of our partners' applications, I have no more access to either the internet or even the applications I get to by way of the VPN.  My PC says I still have internet access, but I don't.  I manually uninstalled a few updates and then it worked for a while.

Then, after it stopped working again later, I tried to go back to a previous build of Windows 10.  But I couldn't do that, because Windows 10 only offers that as an option if it's within ten days of the update, and it took longer than 10 days before my work-around stopped working-around.  So then I began manually updating all updates every couple of days, but that only worked for about a week.  Now I simply have no work-around at all, and I had to dust off an old laptop to use for that instead.  My work computer now has two computers, three monitors, two keyboards, and two mice.  To transfer files from the laptop (with VPN access) to the desktop (where I do all my real work), I attach them to an e-mail draft on the laptop and then drag them off the e-mail on my desktop to whatever folder they need to go in.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

The lone Windows 10 PC in the house often has difficulty connecting to its assigned wifi network when all other devices--smartphones, tablets, PCs--have no trouble at all.  The only fix we have found is to power-cycle the router, which inconveniences multiple devices to accommodate just one.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 13, 2019, 02:51:10 PM
The lone Windows 10 PC in the house often has difficulty connecting to its assigned wifi network when all other devices--smartphones, tablets, PCs--have no trouble at all.  The only fix we have found is to power-cycle the router, which inconveniences multiple devices to accommodate just one.

Do you have a dual-band router?  If so, I would recommend assigning your PC to the 5 GHz band while leaving most of the other devices assigned to the 2.4 GHz band–assuming it's not across the house from your router.  If that doesn't work, you could try hard-wiring it via ethernet.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on March 13, 2019, 04:34:39 PMDo you have a dual-band router?  If so, I would recommend assigning your PC to the 5 GHz band while leaving most of the other devices assigned to the 2.4 GHz band–assuming it's not across the house from your router.  If that doesn't work, you could try hard-wiring it via ethernet.

Yes, we have dual-band with spectrum allocation, and I have had a hard line to my own PC (still running Windows 7) for years.  The problem PC (only one in the house with Windows 10) is single-band (2.4 GHz only) and is used on wifi networks outside the home, so the inconvenience of plugging it back in and choosing an Ethernet connection every time it comes home would be about the same as power-cycling the router.

I confess my previous post was a plus-one about Microsoft breaking stuff that used to work quite well, and still does with previous versions of the OS.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Does it also have problems connecting to Wi-Fi networks outside your home?
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on March 13, 2019, 04:51:56 PMDoes it also have problems connecting to Wi-Fi networks outside your home?

It is used mainly with an office network and usually doesn't have problems connecting.  The router at home is a consumer-grade Linksys E4200 purchased in 2012.  One possible fix I haven't tried yet is to soft-reboot the router (possible through the Web interface) rather than power-cycling it.

The problem occurs at irregular intervals and does not crop up every time the PC comes home and reconnects.  It takes the form of an attempt to associate with the router that never ends.  I have wondered if there is some sort of cache management issue on the router end that the other devices handle just fine but Windows 10 does not.

kphoger

Hmmm, I wonder if it's not Windows 10—related at all.  Might be the PC or the router.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on March 13, 2019, 10:01:38 PMHmmm, I wonder if it's not Windows 10—related at all.  Might be the PC or the router.

It is a case where two devices are expected to communicate with each other and fail to do so.  I am discinlined to blame the router when every other device connects to it without difficulty.  I do see how it could be an issue related to the wireless adapter or its driver.

On my own Windows 7 PC, I have discovered that Windows will offer driver updates that have the effect of breaking existing functionality.  A few months ago, Windows Update offered (as an optional update) a new driver for the USB hub, which was working just fine.  When I installed it, the hub stopped working--would not see any devices plugged into it, etc.  I rolled back to the older driver and the sun came out, birds started singing, etc.

Unrefusable updates are the main reason I prevented my Windows 7 PC from upgrading to Windows 10, and I feel I dodged a bullet by doing so.  The problem PC had Windows 10 as a preload.

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 14, 2019, 12:07:47 PM
Unrefusable updates

Oh man, I got so tired of going through the process of uninstalling updates line by line, then restarting the PC, and it automatically installing updates upon restart.   :banghead:
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on March 14, 2019, 02:03:42 PMOh man, I got so tired of going through the process of uninstalling updates line by line, then restarting the PC, and it automatically installing updates upon restart.   :banghead:

There are apparently workarounds for blocking Windows 10 updates, but it is a bit of a defensive-offensive seesaw.  I have heard of attempts to block updates by adding the update servers to the HOSTS file failing because there are apparently pre-configured system tasks which run automatically every so often to check that the local Windows 10 installation meets standards for a "current" copy of Windows 10.

My own strategy is to sit on Patch Tuesday updates for at least a week before installing them, just to give time for news reports of big problems to reach me before I set my own system on fire.  For my relatively low-risk use pattern, the risk of losing functionality I use every day is greater than falling victim through an unpatched zero-day vulnerability.

D-Dey65

I just received yet another notification telling me I have to update by November 2019.

Crappy Birthday To Me!

bandit957

The update that came out a few weeks ago disables Winamp to comply with the record industry's nonstop whines about "piracy."

So I went back to the previous update. Windows better not foist the recent bad update on me.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

FightingIrish

Quote from: bandit957 on August 29, 2019, 01:52:08 PM
The update that came out a few weeks ago disables Winamp to comply with the record industry's nonstop whines about "piracy."

So I went back to the previous update. Windows better not foist the recent bad update on me.
I updated Windows 10 a week ago and Winamp works fine. I'm running their current Beta.

1995hoo

I don't have Windows 10. A few years ago when Windows 7 attempted to install the "upgrade," it bricked my PC–went into an endless loop that kept leading to a BSOD, though I was eventually able to boot to a DOS prompt. Wound up going to Micro Center for a new boot drive and a new copy of Windows 7 and rebuilt everything (didn't lose any data, at least).

With the phaseout of Windows 7 support this winter, I'm trying to decide what to do, and more importantly in some ways what to do about my mom's PC since I'm her tech support (she lives about 15 minutes away). I'd consider a Mac, but the cost is off-putting. Odds are I'll wind up with a Windows 10 PC and I'll get her something identical to whatever I get myself because that makes it easier for me when she calls or e-mails with a question. I'm very wary of Windows 10, though, and all the comments in this thread just reinforce that opinion. But I'm not sure I want to bother with alternatives like Linux because of convenience reasons to do with work compatibility and the like.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bandit957

Windows 10 would be pretty good if it wasn't for the awful new update - and its foisting of updates that take hours to install.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

D-Dey65

I put the PC on sleep in order to go to a car show several hours ago, and I just got back to find out the forced it on me anyway. And so far, I don't think I've lost any passwords, or any of my files.

:-/

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 29, 2019, 05:46:17 PMWith the phaseout of Windows 7 support this winter, I'm trying to decide what to do, and more importantly in some ways what to do about my mom's PC since I'm her tech support (she lives about 15 minutes away). I'd consider a Mac, but the cost is off-putting. Odds are I'll wind up with a Windows 10 PC and I'll get her something identical to whatever I get myself because that makes it easier for me when she calls or e-mails with a question. I'm very wary of Windows 10, though, and all the comments in this thread just reinforce that opinion. But I'm not sure I want to bother with alternatives like Linux because of convenience reasons to do with work compatibility and the like.

I'm planning to continue using Windows 7 on my current PC beyond the end of support.  I have an old laptop that still uses XP even though support ended five years ago.  Admittedly, my Web browsing habits are low-risk and I use an ad-blocking HOSTS file.

Windows 10 has bedded in by now, so if circumstances forced me to accept it on a commodity PC, I would probably adjust, using some form of a switchable configuration to give myself control over timing of updates.  It's just that I hate the permissions model in 8+ (having to open an Administrator window to do anything remotely useful, for example) and the tiles.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 29, 2019, 05:46:17 PM
But I'm not sure I want to bother with alternatives like Linux because of convenience reasons to do with work compatibility and the like.

I would suggest making a bootable CD of one of the major distros like Fedora or Ubuntu and trying to live out of it for a while to see how many compromises you have to make and whether it's viable. Compatibility is really not as bad as you might think, as long as you are willing to meet Linux halfway–that is, unless you have some reason you have to use a particular program, you can find a Linux-friendly replacement that can edit the same files. So while trying to running the latest Excel is probably going to cause problems, you can easily find a program that edits .xlsx files.

The real killer is finding device drivers for things like the scanner portion of all-in-one scanner/printer devices, which is not always guaranteed, so it's worth testing before committing to a change.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.