News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

A particularly unhelpful sign

Started by SP Cook, April 06, 2010, 06:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP Cook

The bridge between Winfield and Eleanor, WV over the Kanawha river is closed for the summer for major repair.  All well and good.  The bridge is almost 100% for local traffic.  The detour would be to travel about 9 miles in either direction on WV 62 on the north side or WV 817 (formerly US 35) on the south side to either the "Toyota" Bridge in Buffalo or the I-64 Bridge between the Nitro and St. Albans exits.

Interstate traffic is not really affected.

So what sign does WV DOT put up just before the Nitro exit, westbound?  "WV 34 - Winfield Toll Bridge Closed - Use Alternate". 

First, the bridge has not charged a toll in almost 40 years. 

Second, a motorist, should he continue west on I-64 would arrive at the very next exit.  Marked "Winfield", which would take him to Winfield, because Winfield is no the south side of the river.  No alternate route would be needed. 

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on April 06, 2010, 06:51:42 AM
The bridge between Winfield and Eleanor, WV over the Kanawha river is closed for the summer for major repair.  All well and good.  The bridge is almost 100% for local traffic.  The detour would be to travel about 9 miles in either direction on WV 62 on the north side or WV 817 (formerly US 35) on the south side to either the "Toyota" Bridge in Buffalo or the I-64 Bridge between the Nitro and St. Albans exits.

Interstate traffic is not really affected.

So what sign does WV DOT put up just before the Nitro exit, westbound?  "WV 34 - Winfield Toll Bridge Closed - Use Alternate". 

First, the bridge has not charged a toll in almost 40 years. 

Second, a motorist, should he continue west on I-64 would arrive at the very next exit.  Marked "Winfield", which would take him to Winfield, because Winfield is no the south side of the river.  No alternate route would be needed. 

What all are they doing to that bridge? It definitely needs painting.

I suppose it would be unhandy if you were driving from the Nitro area to Pt. Pleasant on the NE side of the river and felt the urge to grab a Big Mac over in Winfield.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

Total rebuild.  Sandblast off the old paint (which is lead and thus take a complex net system to keep it from just falling into the river), replace worn steel and bolts, repaint, remove concrete deck and replace.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.