News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

General NBA thread

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 27, 2018, 10:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

I called Nuggs in 6 if they faced the Heat and Nuggs in 7 if they faced the Celtics. I'll stick with it.

I just don't see how Miami can score enough to keep up with us. They're very good defensively, don't get me wrong, but you can't stop Jokic completely. Murray has his off nights, but then you still have Gordon, MPJ, and KCP to deal with just in the starting lineup who are all better offensively than anyone else on the Miami roster.

Starter by starter:
Jokic >>> Bam
Gordon > Martin (and I like Martin quite a bit)
Butler >> MPJ
Murray >>> Strus
KCP >> Vincent

The defensive matchups are going to be interesting. MPJ and Butler play the same position, but I highly doubt each guards the other. I'm guessing Butler will go back and forth between Gordon and Murray and MPJ will likely guard Strus. Martin likely guards MPJ, who will still have a height advantage even having a PF on him. I doubt Love plays during the series as he's too slow to stick with anyone other than Jokic but doesn't have the bulk or height to deal with him. Bam is a good defender, and he'll get some blocks in this series because we drive so aggressively, but he's not the guy to stop the Joker (as if anyone can). Herro coming back would be a boon for Miami, but he's still not better than Bruce Brown off the bench.

Should be interesting, but the Nuggets are the deserved favorites and have far fewer holes than Boston did from a roster perspective.

Henry

Guess the Marlins and Rockies will have a grudge series later on in the MLB season, especially since the NBA Finals coincides with their respective teams' 30th anniversaries...

But I'm hoping for a Nuggets championship, since Jeff lives in Denver and has adopted its sports franchises as his secondary teams (but rooting for the Chicago teams when they play against them). And I'm also sick and tired of the Heat winning all the time; here's also hoping that a former ABA team outside the Spurs will be able to raise its first championship banner!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

brad2971

Quote from: Henry on May 30, 2023, 10:54:07 PM
Guess the Marlins and Rockies will have a grudge series later on in the MLB season, especially since the NBA Finals coincides with their respective teams' 30th anniversaries...

But I'm hoping for a Nuggets championship, since Jeff lives in Denver and has adopted its sports franchises as his secondary teams (but rooting for the Chicago teams when they play against them). And I'm also sick and tired of the Heat winning all the time; here's also hoping that a former ABA team outside the Spurs will be able to raise its first championship banner!

The Marlins and Rockies already had a series in Denver, which the Rockies took 3 of 4. This was while the Nuggets were sweeping the Lakers. The return trip back to Miami is July 21-23.

Stephane Dumas

Would be cool if Denver win the NBA championship. They won the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup and a National League Pennant (not the World Series yet homever, close but no cigar).

Henry

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 31, 2023, 02:17:48 PM
Would be cool if Denver win the NBA championship. They won the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup and a National League Pennant (not the World Series yet homever, close but no cigar).
On the other side of things, Miami has won a World Series, Super Bowl and NBA Finals, but no Stanley Cup (which the Panthers have a chance to get against the Vegas Golden Knights). I'll be tuning in tomorrow and the rest of the Finals, rooting for the Nuggets.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jgb191

Speaking of the baseball and Miami, the Heat remind me of my second favorite Cinderella-story in sports, when the 2003 Marlins defeated the two heavily favored powerhouses that season in the Yankees and Cubs.  Everyone counted out the Marlins when they were down 3-1 in the 2003 NLCS, yet they went on to win the World Series. 

Needless to say, my favorite Cinderella-story in sports in the 1995 NBA Champions Houston Rockets....the lowest seeded team and lowest regular season record to win the NBA Finals.  Everyone counted them out when they were down 3-1 in the second-round going to Phoenix, and that series vs the Suns ended with Mario Elie blowing the "Kiss of Death" to the stunned-silenced Suns fans in attendance; the Finals culminated with perhaps the greatest line in sports history "Don't Ever Underestimate the Heart of a Champion"
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Roadgeekteen

NBA finals kicks off today. Nuggets in 5 or 6 is my prediction.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Ted$8roadFan

NBA Finals begin tonight. Apparently there is a belief in Denver that they are being disrespected by the national media, who didn't expect or want them to be in there. Many wanted Heat-Lakers or (sigh) Celtics-Lakers. Some media members didn't want to go there.  That should give the Nuggets extra motivation.

bing101

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 01, 2023, 07:16:56 PM
NBA Finals begin tonight. Apparently there is a belief in Denver that they are being disrespected by the national media, who didn't expect or want them to be in there, and wanted Heat-Lakers or (sigh) Celtics-Lakers. Some reporters don't want to go there.  That should give the Nuggets extra motivation.
Hope that is answered once Denver Wins the finals.

Henry

One down, three to go...

Stephane Dumas

Crap, the Heat won and it's now tied 1-1. I hope the Nuggets will rebound for the next games.

Henry

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 06, 2023, 02:39:29 PM
Crap, the Heat won and it's now tied 1-1. I hope the Nuggets will rebound for the next games.
Historically speaking, Denver teams typically are at a disadvantage when playing on the road. As it stands, if the Nuggets lose one or both of the next two games in Miami, they could be in serious trouble.

The Heat relish the underdog role, and would like nothing more than to take down their last Goliath behind their notoriously rowdy fanbase. In addition to being the first-ever 8-seed to win the Finals, they also have a chance to  become the first-ever NBA champion to participate in a play-in tournament. Again, anything is possible once Game 3 tips off less than 24 hours from now.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Henry on June 06, 2023, 10:04:52 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 06, 2023, 02:39:29 PM
Historically speaking, Denver teams typically are at a disadvantage when playing on the road. As it stands, if the Nuggets lose one or both of the next two games in Miami, they could be in serious trouble.

Shouldn't this go both ways, though? While Denver is used to playing at 5000 feet above sea level, Miami is used to playing at sea level and would be at a disadvantage at 5000 feet in Denver.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

KeithE4Phx

Reports are that Chris Paul is being waived by the Phoenix Suns.  He was supposedly notified today.

https://www.azfamily.com/2023/06/07/chris-pauls-future-with-phoenix-suns-uncertain-after-multiple-conflicting-reports/
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

jgb191

I still believe it's anybody's series (regardless of who wins Game 4 tonight).  I think Miami is still good enough to win at least one more game.

Suns need to rebuild; get rid of Kevin Durant and get some draft picks.  I think it's time Chris Paul changes position from point guard to assistant coach, and then work your way up to head coach.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: jgb191 on June 09, 2023, 10:57:48 AM
I think it's time Chris Paul changes position from point guard to assistant coach, and then work your way up to head coach.

Paul has said time and again that he's not interested in coaching.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

JayhawkCO

I still believe it's anybody's series (regardless of who wins Game 4 tonight).  I think Miami is still good enough to win at least one more game.

Suns need to rebuild; get rid of Kevin Durant and get some draft picks.  I think it's time Chris Paul changes position from point guard to assistant coach, and then work your way up to head coach.

There's zero chance the way this series has gone that the Nuggets don't close it out in Denver.

jgb191

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on June 09, 2023, 07:22:40 PM
I think it's time Chris Paul changes position from point guard to assistant coach, and then work your way up to head coach.

I seem to remember Steve Kerr feeling the same way after his final playing season in 2003 instead choosing to join the TNT broadcast team.  Also in 1998, Phil Jackson vowed never to coach again.....that is until Jerry West called him with an offer in 1999.

Chris Paul may never coach in the NBA or maybe (if the right offer comes his way) he does coach.  I'll take him over several current and recent head coaches.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jgb191 on June 11, 2023, 12:54:14 AM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on June 09, 2023, 07:22:40 PM

I seem to remember Steve Kerr feeling the same way after his final playing season in 2003 instead choosing to join the TNT broadcast team.  Also in 1998, Phil Jackson vowed never to coach again.....that is until Jerry West called him with an offer in 1999.

Chris Paul may never coach in the NBA or maybe (if the right offer comes his way) he does coach.  I'll take him over several current and recent head coaches.

I don't think there's really a precedent of dirty players making successful coaches.

KeithE4Phx

Props to the Denver Nuggets for winning the NBA Finals 4-1.

TheHighwayMan3561

One South Florida bubble burst, a good chance the other is popped tomorow.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

plain

It could've went either way for me (as both teams played their hearts out this postseason) but congratulations to the Nuggets. They absolutely deserve this championship.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jgb191

Another team permanently eliminated from the title-less list!  Nuggets win their first in franchise history.

The only NBA teams left on that list are the Nuggets, Grizzlies, Magic, Thunder, Kings, Clippers, Jazz, Pelicans, Hornets, Timberwolves, Nets, Suns, and Pacers.

I hope to see the Nuggets keep Jokic for the duration of his career so that he can deliver several more titles for the Nuggets.  I'm already hearing conversations about him on the short list of the greatest athletes in Denver sports history (including Peyton Manning and John Elway).

Ted$8roadFan

Congrats to the Nuggets and Denver for their first ever NBA championship. Here's a crazy fact: the Nuggets are the first Western Conference Team to win a championship since 1979 who are not based in California or Texas.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 13, 2023, 05:09:31 AM
Congrats to the Nuggets and Denver for their first ever NBA championship. Here's a crazy fact: the Nuggets are the first Western Conference Team to win a championship since 1979 who are not based in California or Texas.

More trivia on the table, the Nuggets along with the San Antonio Spurs, are the two teams from the original ABA (1967-76) who never won a ABA championship. Also, the Denver Nuggets was originally called the Denver Rockets but at the time when the ABA talked of the merge with the NBA since they already have a team called the Rockets, the Denver Rockets did a contest and changed their name to Nuggets as a nod and tribute to the original Nuggets.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.