News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cities that you subconsciously merged with each other

Started by thspfc, May 23, 2023, 10:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Hard to explain, but I just had a moment of reckoning upon realizing that Duluth and Dubuque are different cities. I knew that, of course, but due to their similarity I think I subconsciously conflated the two.

I've kind of done the same thing cities that are big but aren't the principal city of their metro area (Fort Worth, St. Paul, Tacoma, Oakland, Newark). I know they exist, but even having been to many of them, they almost seem fake. Anyone else know what I mean, or am I going crazy?

ilpt4u

KC, MO & KC, KS. They actually are different cities

Texarkana, TX & Texarkana, Arkansas

Bristol, VA & Bristol, TN

Big John

Max Rockatansky

A couple people I know did this with Monterey and Monterey Park after a mass shooting occurred at the latter. 

US 89

I did not realize the degree to which Tampa and St Petersburg are different cities until I went there for the first time last weekend. I'd always figured St Pete was just a big suburb of Tampa, kind of like Aurora is to Denver. Turns out, this is not at all the case - they are very separate city centers with their own business districts and high rises, separated by a large body of water known as Old Tampa Bay.

Also, their residents of each city apparently hate the other and hate driving there, even though there's only a 10 minute bridge between the two sides of the bay. I asked my friend from Tampa if there was anything she recommended I do during my few hours in St Petersburg, and her reaction was something along the lines of "eww St Pete? why would I know anything about that place?"

formulanone

Nagadoches (TX) and Natchitoches (LA) I'd always thought were the same place. It wasn't until I was assigned to go to the Texas town, that I realized they were two places (with two different pronunciations, not the same as I'd figured). When I booked travel, I made sure to go through both because...why the hell not? 

Quote from: US 89 on May 24, 2023, 08:29:23 AM
I did not realize the degree to which Tampa and St Petersburg are different cities until I went there for the first time last weekend. I'd always figured St Pete was just a big suburb of Tampa, kind of like Aurora is to Denver. Turns out, this is not at all the case - they are very separate city centers with their own business districts and high rises, separated by a large body of water known as Old Tampa Bay.

Also, their residents of each city apparently hate the other and hate driving there, even though there's only a 10 minute bridge between the two sides of the bay. I asked my friend from Tampa if there was anything she recommended I do during my few hours in St Petersburg, and her reaction was something along the lines of "eww St Pete? why would I know anything about that place?"

The Salvador Dali Museum would be right at or near the top, though his works might be a little too much for some to handle.

I thought the same of Tampa Bay, there's a good deal of separation and they really grew with their own distinct histories and economic reasons. I think the traffic is slightly more annoying in Pinellas County, especially towards the northern environs of St. Petersburg, because it just seems to have nowhere else to go.

74/171FAN

Not cities, but I would throw the towns of Christiansburg, VA, and Blacksburg, VA, into this.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Flint1979

Union City, Indiana and Union City, Ohio are basically the same city even though they are different cities in different states. Different states is probably the only reason they aren't one city.

NWI_Irish96

Because I have lived adjacent to both, I have done this with Lansing, IL, and Lansing, MI.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

zzcarp

I often merge Menominee, MI with Marinette, WI in my head though they're neighbors. Sometimes I confuse them with Manistique which is an hour and a half further down the shoreline. I also conflate Marquette and Manistique even though they are on opposite sides of the UP.

And of course the two Sault Ste Maries (or is it Saults Ste Marie or Sault Stes Marie), separated by the international boundary.
So many miles and so many roads

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 24, 2023, 08:49:47 AM
Not cities, but I would throw the towns of Christiansburg, VA, and Blacksburg, VA, into this.

I used to do that all the time. It's pretty hard to know where one begins and the other ends.

Roanoke, Salem (another independent city), and Vinton (a town) fall in the same category for me.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hotdogPi

I keep thinking Thornton CO is part of the Denver-Cheyenne corridor rather than a suburb of Denver.
As an inverse, I know that there is one city that's south of I-40, north of Phoenix, and not a boring suburb, but I can never remember which one it is. (It's Prescott.)
What's the difference between Ely and Elko?
Carbondale, IL gets placed where Galesburg is for some reason.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on May 24, 2023, 09:37:43 AM
Because I have lived adjacent to both, I have done this with Lansing, IL, and Lansing, MI.

East Lansing gets merged into the larger Lansing quite often I've found.  The difference always pretty negligible when I lived in the area.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1 on May 24, 2023, 09:54:46 AM
I keep thinking Thornton CO is part of the Denver-Cheyenne corridor rather than a suburb of Denver.

Maybe since it's used as a Control City on one sign in the Mousetrap (I-25/I-70 interchange)?

GaryV

Quote from: zzcarp on May 24, 2023, 09:44:48 AM
I also conflate Marquette and Manistique even though they are on opposite sides of the UP.
And Munising.

Manistee vs Manistique is sometimes confusing if you're not listening carefully.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on May 24, 2023, 11:31:57 AM
I also conflate Marquette and Manistique even though they are on opposite sides of the UP.
And Munising.

Manistee vs Manistique is sometimes confusing if you're not listening carefully.
That one got confused not too long ago on this forum in the US-2 Upper Peninsula post. None of them are confusing to me though.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 24, 2023, 10:00:06 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on May 24, 2023, 09:37:43 AM

East Lansing gets merged into the larger Lansing quite often I've found.  The difference always pretty negligible when I lived in the area.
I can honestly tell the difference between the two probably because I'm familiar with the area and know where I'm at most of the time. I was just in Okemos on Saturday and if you were from out of town I'm sure someone would be like I'm in Lansing, Michigan.

Flint1979

I often merge Menominee, MI with Marinette, WI in my head though they're neighbors. Sometimes I confuse them with Manistique which is an hour and a half further down the shoreline. I also conflate Marquette and Manistique even though they are on opposite sides of the UP.

And of course the two Sault Ste Maries (or is it Saults Ste Marie or Sault Stes Marie), separated by the international boundary.
They were both founded the same year in 1668. Sault Ste. Marie is in fact the oldest city in Michigan and they are just Sault Ste. Marie really. They are named after the rapids in the river, Rapids of St. Mary meaning Sault Ste. Marie in French.

roadman65

Yeah like in New Jersey where you have multiple municipalities with the name  Washington. Every other  Washington besides Warren County's own seems fake, as that was the only  Washington that I originally knew first as a kid in the state growing up.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 24, 2023, 09:48:51 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 24, 2023, 08:49:47 AM

I used to do that all the time. It's pretty hard to know where one begins and the other ends.

Roanoke, Salem (another independent city), and Vinton (a town) fall in the same category for me.

Basically, Christiansburg is the New River Valley Mall and points south, and Blacksburg is basically everything north of there even though there is an unincorporated section between the mall area and just south of the US 460 BUS/Yellow Sulphur Rd intersection just south of the US 460 interchange at the south end of the Blacksburg Bypass.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

I think the OP might be pointing out the same syndromes that people face when a person is replaced. For example, when David Lee Roth was replaced by Sammy Hagar in VH, everyone thought the band was foreign to them and renamed it Van Hagar.

Or when Darrin on the late sixties and early seventies sitcom Bewitched was replaced with a recast actor, people thought the second Darrin was a fake as did VH fans did with Sammy.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

Duluth, MN and Superior, WI.

Also, all of the munis in the Appleton/Fox Cities, WI  metro area as well as all of the munis in the Green Bay, WI metro area.

Not in Wisconsin, but in Pennsylvania, the State College, Johnstown, York and Pittsburgh metro areas are all each single cities to me.

Mike

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Miami and Ft. Lauderdale

Quote from: 1 on May 24, 2023, 09:54:46 AM
What's the difference between Ely and Elko?

I haven't been to Ely, but most would never know (as I did not know myself) until they visit it that Elko is a *major* regional center, big enough for specialty retailers like Kohl's to operate
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Chris

There are stories about European tourists booking a flight to Sydney and ended up in Sydney, Nova Scotia instead of Australia. They thought a transfer at Toronto was normal on a flight to Sydney, Australia.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.