News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Surrender your man card here

Started by kphoger, July 21, 2021, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Tea lowers your ability to absorb iron and causes increased anxiety and therefore poor sleep.  It can cause nausea, heartburn, pregnancy complications, headaches, dizziness and then you can just end up addicted to it. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on September 01, 2021, 04:32:57 PM
Tea lowers your ability to absorb iron and causes increased anxiety and therefore poor sleep.  It can cause nausea, heartburn, pregnancy complications, headaches, dizziness and then you can just end up addicted to it. :D

Saw that top Google search result as well.  It may do those things.  It also may contain antioxidants, reduce risk of heart disease and stroke, help with weight loss, help protect bones, help protect tooth enamel, boost the immune system, help prevent cancer, and calm nausea (in opposition to your link above).

Either way, I don't think anyone can dispute that it's better for you than lots of other drinks (alcohol, soda, energy drinks, etc.)

Chris

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2021, 03:21:04 PM

Hot water with lemon (and maybe honey)?  I make that if I have a terrible cold to soothe my throat, but that's about it.

i try to keep my consumption of insect vomit to a bare minimum.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Rothman

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on September 11, 2021, 03:22:14 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2021, 03:21:04 PM

Hot water with lemon (and maybe honey)?  I make that if I have a terrible cold to soothe my throat, but that's about it.

i try to keep my consumption of insect vomit to a bare minimum.
The benefits of honey are many.

What else do you avoid?  Animal muscles?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

allniter89

I worked with an older gentleman that had been a mechanic forever ;-). Working in a garage with little ventilation during FL summers ie 90°+ & 70% humidity he drank/drunk ;-)? hot coffee all day. He said it helped his body deal with the  heat. Probably alot of you do the same......yes?
RIP Harry, you taught me so much about fixing cars :-(
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

abefroman329

Oh, I assume any man over the age of, say, 55 doesn't think I'm a "real man."

formulanone

I routinely buy salad dressing called Skinny Girl Light Balsamic Vinaigrette.

It's one of the few on the shelf with no added sugars, no carbs, low fat, low sodium; although it's not very rich with oils, it has no weird aftertaste.

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on September 15, 2021, 01:52:05 PM

It's one of the few on the shelf with no added sugars, no carbs, low fat, low sodium; although it's not very rich with oils, it has no weird aftertaste.

Pffft, there's nothing un-manly about eating healthy.  The name is what it is, but whenever they try and come up with a male equivalent (see, eg, DEVOUR, which are Lean Cuisines FOR MEN), it's really, really dumb.

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 15, 2021, 01:59:30 PM
Quote from: formulanone on September 15, 2021, 01:52:05 PM

Pffft, there's nothing un-manly about eating healthy.  The name is what it is, but whenever they try and come up with a male equivalent (see, eg, DEVOUR, which are Lean Cuisines FOR MEN), it's really, really dumb.

...or missing Paleo-Aggro Caveman Keto from the title.

Personally, I don't care what they call it. It could be Hello Kitty Sauce for all I care, but it works.

abefroman329

I'm hopelessly bad at throwing a baseball or football, and I dread the day I have to teach my son to do either.

I honestly can't think of anything else.  I used to drink black coffee until it stopped agreeing with my stomach.  I smoked cigarettes like a man when I smoked.  I can do basic maintenance on cars (I even replaced the windshield washer fluid pump in our old Camry) and have basic knowledge of power tools.  I know how to cook meat on a gas grill thanks to recipes on the Internet and trial-and-error (a good meat thermometer helps immensely).

snowc

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Scott5114

That was a picture of his man card. Since he surrendered it here, now the image is broken.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

index

I tie a hoodie around my waist sometimes. My mother would always whine about it because it looked "girly" or "gay".
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

abefroman329

Quote from: index on September 16, 2021, 04:31:49 PM
I tie a hoodie around my waist sometimes. My mother would always whine about it because it looked "girly" or "gay".

It's neither.  It's practical.

You could try always try tying it around your shoulders, like WASPs do with their pullovers.

J N Winkler

As an aside, Google Images search on {man card} returns interesting results.  My personal favorite is a card with a pen-and-ink sketch of a bearded Edwardian dandy, with the following around the edge (punch as applicable):

*  Grow epic beard

*  Carry buckskin knife

*  Learn to weld

*  Enter lumberjack contest

*  Hike Appalachian Trail solo

*  Rebuild engine (any)

*  Be 1/10 as manly as Steve McQueen

*  Drink Glenlivet 18, neat

*  Stop purse snatcher

*  Build log cabin

*  Survive rattlesnake bite

*  Take up smoking tobacco from pipe

*  Rescue kitten from tree

*  Earn huge face scar

*  Kill 12-point buck with bow
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kurumi

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 16, 2021, 06:08:45 PM
As an aside, Google Images search on {man card} returns interesting results.  My personal favorite is a card with a pen-and-ink sketch of a bearded Edwardian dandy, with the following around the edge (punch as applicable):

Yes! It's hard to imagine anything more manly. I haven't watched the whole video, but this should probably be a good example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshU58nI0Ts
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

JayhawkCO

I mean, how else would you drink it?  If you add anything more than a couple drops of water, you're ruining it.

Chris

abefroman329

*  Grow epic beard

*  Carry buckskin knife

*  Learn to weld

*  Rebuild engine (any)

*  Stop purse snatcher

*  Build log cabin

*  Earn huge face scar

That'd be a 0 for me - I have a beard, but it's not epic unless you think Riker's beard was epic.

Ned Weasel

*  Grow epic beard

*  Carry buckskin knife

*  Learn to weld

*  Rebuild engine (any)

*  Stop purse snatcher

*  Build log cabin

*  Earn huge face scar

I have exactly one point.  I have a beard, but it's not epic.  I earned face scars from getting chicken pox when I was a kid, but they're not huge.  So, I get half a point in each case.

I don't know how to compare myself to Steve McQueen, so I'm not even going to try to calculate that one.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

GCrites

I've got 7, although I was a little kid when I rescued the kitten from the tree. Do the things count if you did them as a kid?

vdeane

Quote from: kurumi on September 16, 2021, 10:44:14 PM

Yes! It's hard to imagine anything more manly. I haven't watched the whole video, but this should probably be a good example:
Depending on how much you watched, that video might be far more appropriate for this thread than you know.  Though he isn't so much surrendering his man card as he is shredding it into confetti.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Takumi

Quote from: vdeane on September 17, 2021, 10:29:19 PM
Quote from: kurumi on September 16, 2021, 10:44:14 PM

Depending on how much you watched, that video might be far more appropriate for this thread than you know.  Though he isn't so much surrendering his man card as he is shredding it into confetti.
I think that was the joke Kurumi was making.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kkt

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 16, 2021, 11:58:41 PM

I mean, how else would you drink it?  If you add anything more than a couple drops of water, you're ruining it.

Chris

:nod:

Daniel Fiddler

I do smoke tobacco from pipes (although I usually smoke cigars) and I have rescued a kitten.  I have a beard, not sure if I'd call it "epic"  though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.