News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunty2022

Mine is tomorrow at 10 PM Eastern.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

tmoore952

Interesting how the Blackhawks have already played 2 games (both nationally televised), while my Capitals don't even start until tomorrow (Friday).

1995hoo

Quote from: tmoore952 on October 12, 2023, 11:07:54 AM
Interesting how the Blackhawks have already played 2 games (both nationally televised), while my Capitals don't even start until tomorrow (Friday).

That's because they've anointed the New Messiah and they're determined to make everyone worship him.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ET21

Or the fact they were given a 5 game road trip to start the season which is annoying as hell. They play 4 different home openers on the road before finally having their own.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

tmoore952

Quote from: tmoore952 on October 12, 2023, 11:07:54 AM

And -- Friday's Penguins at Caps game was on ESPN+, which I refuse to get, so last Friday really wasn't my opening night.

Caps lost 4-0 on Friday, so I'm glad I didn't have a chance to waste my time.

ET21

All 32 teams in action today

Clinched:

Alps

Quote from: ET21 on October 24, 2023, 02:42:35 PM
All 32 teams in action today
why do they plan this? it's clearly planned, they have hyped it up. (4:30 to go here)

JayhawkCO

Crazy that there are still 3 teams with completely unblemished records (Boston, Colorado, Vegas).

rickmastfan67

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 25, 2023, 12:15:15 PM
Crazy that there are still 3 2 teams with completely unblemished records (Boston, Colorado, Vegas).

Fixed that for ya. ;)

#LetsGoPens

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1717717532658782630

ET21

No more unbeatens left

Clinched:

mgk920

Has anyone forked the Blackhawks yet?

Mike

tmoore952

Watching Capitals-Coyotes -- late game for us in DC -- 9 PM start (7 PM in Phoenix).

Now 9:45 PM --- end of first period --- 5-0 Arizona on only 10 Coyote shots.

Guess I'll find something else to do with the rest of my evening.

hotdogPi

Anyone paying attention to the PWHL?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

hotdogPi

The PWHL game that was supposed to happen between Ottawa and Boston (really Lowell) on January 8 was canceled due to a snowstorm causing a canceled flight, so it was rescheduled for 4:30 PM on February 19... but the official website says 4:30 AM (04:30 on the French-language Montréal webpage). Fortunately, the news articles and the place to buy tickets (I bought one) all say PM, so it's clear it's just a typo on the official webpage.

https://boston.thepwhl.com/en/stats/schedule/all-teams/1/all-months?league=1
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

tmoore952

Quote from: 1 on January 11, 2024, 08:39:44 AM
The PWHL game that was supposed to happen between Ottawa and Boston (really Lowell) on January 8 was canceled due to a snowstorm causing a canceled flight, so it was rescheduled for 4:30 PM on February 19... but the official website says 4:30 AM (04:30 on the French-language Montréal webpage). Fortunately, the news articles and the place to buy tickets (I bought one) all say PM, so it's clear it's just a typo on the official webpage.

https://boston.thepwhl.com/en/stats/schedule/all-teams/1/all-months?league=1

Not that it would happen in this case   ----- but in many suburban ice arenas in my area, things do occur at weird hours of the night, due to high overall demand for ice time.

Henry

It's All-Star time in Toronto! Saturday, the game is on ABC and ESPN+.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

tmoore952

Quote from: Henry on February 01, 2024, 11:02:33 PM

Did not watch, we had a really nice day on the East Coast Saturday and spent it not watching TV.

I like and respect the fact that Alex Ovechkin was not named an All-Star; his stats so far this year did not deserve it (and I've been a Capitals fan since before he was drafted). Most other sports probably might have given him the honor anyway if he hadn't earned it either statistically or by fan vote.

Almost any other all-star game has deserving players being snubbed because of things like that.

SP Cook

And in his "state of the league" speech at the ASG, Gary Bettman talks expansion.  Three familiar names, Houston, which is the 6th largest media market in the country; Atlanta, which is the 7th, but is a place where the NHL has failed twice before; Salt Lake City, which is 27th but which is booming and looking to build a new arena.

Along with Cincinnati and Omaha, which no one had been mentioning. 

Cincinnati, which is media market #37 (the Reds, particularly, have always depended on neighboring markets to increase their total footprint, which wouldn't happen with the NHL, because of Columbus), has an old arena, plenty big enough but no modern amenities, built in 1975.  There doesn't seem to be any logical open space in the CBD to build another one, nor any logical use for the old one if a new one was built (the current arena is now privately owned, the county sold it long ago). 

Omaha is media market #73, and is surrounded by, well, corn.  This one I don't get at all.

LilianaUwU

Bettman will expand the league to Mexico before he ever expands to Québec City.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

1995hoo

Quote from: tmoore952 on February 04, 2024, 12:09:41 PM

Did not watch, we had a really nice day on the East Coast Saturday and spent it not watching TV.

I like and respect the fact that Alex Ovechkin was not named an All-Star; his stats so far this year did not deserve it (and I've been a Capitals fan since before he was drafted). Most other sports probably might have given him the honor anyway if he hadn't earned it either statistically or by fan vote.

Almost any other all-star game has deserving players being snubbed because of things like that.

Ovie specifically asked that he not be considered for the game this year. He wanted the time off to rest. Aside from making that point, I agree with what you've said. I only saw a little bit of it yesterday. I sold my RX-7 and the buyer came when the game was on.

Regarding Cincinnati, from what I read, Bettman said the league was contacted by a group seeking a team. That's quite a bit different from saying they're considering said city. It seems to me that if someone makes a serious inquiry about the idea of expansion, the league at least needs to listen, even if they don't do anything to act on it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tmoore952

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 04, 2024, 05:19:49 PM
Quote from: tmoore952 on February 04, 2024, 12:09:41 PM

Ovie specifically asked that he not be considered for the game this year. He wanted the time off to rest. Aside from making that point, I agree with what you've said. I only saw a little bit of it yesterday. I sold my RX-7 and the buyer came when the game was on.

Was not aware of Ovie's request.

I haven't been watching many Capitals games lately where this may have been discussed. Been busy.
Also they've stopped being must-see for me lately, they have lost every game I have watched recently, including all 4 on the recent road trip.

tmoore952

Watched two games last night (partly simultaneously) - Washington at Montreal, and Philadelphia at New Jersey (which was played at MetLife Stadium).

The Washington at Montreal game, which I watched on a local broadcast (with DC broadcasters) was also on Hockey Night in Canada. An early game of HNIC is usually shown on the NHL Network, but not last night -- I assume because of the Stadium Series game (aforementioned Flyers-Devils) on ABC --- and not because of Washington being on HNIC which would be blocked in my area. When Capitals happen to be on HNIC, they show a different HNIC game in my area, since HNIC shows multiple games in their time slots -- in this case the other early game was Anaheim at Toronto. But as mentioned, that didn't happen last night.

Henry

Just happened to see the Blackhawks game last night, where they raised Chris Chelios' No. 7 to the rafters, and former Blackhawk Patrick Kane scored the winning goal as a member of the Red Wings. Although Detroit is normally a hated rival and it made for a very surreal moment, it was nice to see the fans give Kane some love after what he did for the Hawks (three Stanley Cups with Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith), and a much better tribute than the one the Bulls had for Jerry Krause.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

epzik8

I see this hasn't been posted in for almost two months. It's playoff time again...
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: epzik8 on April 21, 2024, 07:13:56 PMI see this hasn't been posted in for almost two months. It's playoff time again...

Yeah, let's see if the Stanley Cup will return in Canada after 30 years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.