News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sign Collecting

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 12, 2016, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 31, 2016, 12:11:38 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on December 30, 2016, 06:58:09 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on December 30, 2016, 06:25:23 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on December 30, 2016, 02:09:23 AM
A couple random signs on my radar...

this - I'm hanging this on the driveway or above the front door.

this - I'll find a home for this

this - It's going in my or my parents room.

this - This has to be on the driveway.

"In the driveway" could = easy theft.
Well, I don't care if the red stop sign disappears. I'm concerned about the yellow one. I still want to hang it outside, though.

I could use a ladder and try to use a screwdriver and hang it that way.

Might have some competition from me on one of your signs.
I'm guessing it's CA 99. That's fine, I just want the yellow stop sign and PENNA 18.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 31, 2016, 12:26:31 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 31, 2016, 12:11:38 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on December 30, 2016, 06:58:09 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on December 30, 2016, 06:25:23 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on December 30, 2016, 02:09:23 AM
A couple random signs on my radar...

this - I'm hanging this on the driveway or above the front door.

this - I'll find a home for this

this - It's going in my or my parents room.

this - This has to be on the driveway.

"In the driveway" could = easy theft.
Well, I don't care if the red stop sign disappears. I'm concerned about the yellow one. I still want to hang it outside, though.

I could use a ladder and try to use a screwdriver and hang it that way.

Might have some competition from me on one of your signs.
I'm guessing it's CA 99. That's fine, I just want the yellow stop sign and PENNA 18.

We'll see what happens, that guy had the same sign up for a BIN of $85.00 with free shipping about a week ago.  I've been waiting to see if IGTmachines posts another 99 or others like 43 since the guy you're looking at is largely just reselling his stuff.  Stands to reason, they (along with myself) are all based out of Bakersfield.  I have a replica 16-guage US 99 that is a 1926 design so really CA 99 isn't per se a "must have" on my list. 

Max Rockatansky

Made an addition to the garage today:

I always liked how Zumar always has a date stamp somewhere on the sign. 

cjk374

Nice ride Max! I intend on replacing my Challenger this year. Hopefully with one that has a working driver's side window.   :pan:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on January 06, 2017, 07:34:51 PM
Nice ride Max! I intend on replacing my Challenger this year. Hopefully with one that has a working driver's side window.   :pan:

Thanks!  Is it one of the earlier LX models 08-14?  Chrysler really upped the quality on the 15-17 models, pretty much everything is better compared to the earlier run of cars. 

cjk374

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 06, 2017, 07:38:51 PM

Thanks!  Is it one of the earlier LX models 08-14?  Chrysler really upped the quality on the 15-17 models, pretty much everything is better compared to the earlier run of cars. 

Yep...2011 SE with the 305 hp V6. I'm glad to hear they improved the newer models.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on January 06, 2017, 11:50:13 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 06, 2017, 07:38:51 PM

Yep...2011 SE with the 305 hp V6. I'm glad to hear they improved the newer models.

Biggest improvements are on the interior.  Almost all the trim pieces are a really nice soft touch material, much less stiff than the earlier LX cars.  Mine is an R/T Scat Pack so I didn't really option the interior out all that much and I have cloth, I'm not disappointed.  I'm not sure what the SE comes with on the DIC with the 15-16 but there is much information gauges and menus that I still haven't figured them all out.  I like the 71 Challenger more than I did the 70, so the change the 71 model as the basis for styling was a win in my book.

M3019C LPS20

Aside from traffic signals, I also collect signs as a hobby. Both of my collections have the primary theme of New York City, so, of course, all of my pieces originally came from there. Highway signs are not my cup of tea, as I don't consider myself a "road geek," but I have street signs of different styles that were used throughout the years. Most of the street signs I own are relics of the 20th century, while some are modern signage.

The picture above shows my collection from last year. Since then, I have added several new NYC street signs to the collection, in which are not shown, so, in the present, I have a little over 50 in my possession.

Max Rockatansky

New US 231 sign with a nice Indiana DOT sticker on the back:

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 24, 2017, 07:19:38 AM
New US 231 sign with a nice Indiana DOT sticker on the back:

Nice! I'd love to get a US 231 shield myself, preferably one from ALDOT or TDOT.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Personally I would have preferred FDOT since most of my interaction with US 231 was from there northward out of Panama City.  I'm not sure what FDOT is doing with their scrap but it is really difficult to find almost anything save from really old State Road signs.  Kind of sucks in a way since there is so many state maintained routes for so little to become available.  I've had issues like that also for New Mexico for whatever reason.  Other states I collect from like Michigan, California, and Texas have so much ease of access to scrap second hand, it always made me curious just see what the different laws are for each state.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 29, 2017, 11:36:12 PM
^^^

Personally I would have preferred FDOT since most of my interaction with US 231 was from there northward out of Panama City.  I'm not sure what FDOT is doing with their scrap but it is really difficult to find almost anything save from really old State Road signs.  Kind of sucks in a way since there is so many state maintained routes for so little to become available.  I've had issues like that also for New Mexico for whatever reason.  Other states I collect from like Michigan, California, and Texas have so much ease of access to scrap second hand, it always made me curious just see what the different laws are for each state.
It seems to be the same for Tennessee and Alabama. I haven't been able to find many Alabama route shields but have been able to come across several from Tennessee.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 30, 2017, 05:38:02 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 29, 2017, 11:36:12 PM
^^^

It seems to be the same for Tennessee and Alabama. I haven't been able to find many Alabama route shields but have been able to come across several from Tennessee.

I had a contact when I lived in Florida that had a lot of center state signage projects that would usually buy stuff off of but it was mainly the major stuff like US Routes or Interstates.  Asides from that I've almost been completely shut out for Florida finds.

But...some states, Michigan being one of them have a huge glut of signs available.  Just so happens I picked up an M1:

All I need is I-375 and US 112 to finish up my Detroit collection.  I've seen US 112 pop up now and then on eBay but it is never cheap given the era.

Max Rockatansky

Did some spring (winter I guess) cleaning today and spent some time updating my catalog of signs in addition to organizing them by states...or attempting to do so with the state routes.  So why not show some of them?

Connecticut...I couldn't find my CT 163:

I think my CO 470 was in oversized pile somewhere:

Arizona:

Nevada:

And Michigan took the cake...very easy signage to come by incidentally:

Also gave me an opportunity to get some of the California Interstates (although I think that the I-5 and 405 came from Oregon) down to the garage.  Right now I'm only displaying stuff from California:

Really this has been something I've been meaning to get around to for a couple years since I moved back to the west coast.  There is enough room finally in the spare bedroom for an actual office desk.

Alex

The bulk of my signs are stored in the attic now. I had them in my office, but opted to paint and make some other changes to the room, so all the shields needed to be moved out. There's a handful still hanging in the garage, just the beat up ones...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alex on February 04, 2017, 09:09:50 PM
The bulk of my signs are stored in the attic now. I had them in my office, but opted to paint and make some other changes to the room, so all the shields needed to be moved out. There's a handful still hanging in the garage, just the beat up ones...

When I last owned a house out in Arizona I had maybe a quarter of the signs I do now and I had them all up in the garage.  That's when I got the bulk of the embossed US Route shield replicas that I have still and they really took up less space given they are only 16x16.5 inches (incidentally they are starting to get some decent patina from two cross country moves this past decade).  When I was in Florida I didn't really display much and had everything in bubble taped wraps.  Now I just do the California stuff in the garage and my Route 66 signs in the garage.  I have only 2 Interstates and about a dozen US Routes that I want...it will be interesting to see what I do if end up buying a house in the next year or two if it has a proper two car garage. 

3web

Now I know these aren't road signs, but they're close enough to me, but yesterday, I picked up two loose reflectors, clean off the ground! No pavement below them. They were amber color. One of them is in good condition, just a bit dirty, because it was on a median, but the other one is cracked, and missing a few pieces of reflector on one side because it was actually on the road. The one on the median was an easy fine because yesterday morning, there was a three car crash that lead to that reflector popping off. Pretty cool how one of the reflectors has an interesting story, but the other, I don't know. It could have been from anywhere, all that I know is it was on the sidewalk.
Who knows where the road goes? Of course! Google maps!

freebrickproductions

Quote from: 3web on February 07, 2017, 08:17:17 AM
Now I know these aren't road signs, but they're close enough to me, but yesterday, I picked up two loose reflectors, clean off the ground! No pavement below them. They were amber color. One of them is in good condition, just a bit dirty, because it was on a median, but the other one is cracked, and missing a few pieces of reflector on one side because it was actually on the road. The one on the median was an easy fine because yesterday morning, there was a three car crash that lead to that reflector popping off. Pretty cool how one of the reflectors has an interesting story, but the other, I don't know. It could have been from anywhere, all that I know is it was on the sidewalk.
I have a bunch of cats-eye reflectors as well. Most of the ones I got came off when the streets were plowed after snow storms. Two are some NOS Stimonsite cats-eyes I got from another traffic signal collector.

(They/Them)

MNHighwayMan

I got this beauty today: a 36x45" state-named Minnesota I-35W sign. MnDOT sticker on the back says 2000 (I'm guessing that was the last time it was inspected?), but the date code at the bottom center says 5-93:

(24x30" I-35E sign for scale)

Max Rockatansky

New CA 4 sign to remind of the good times of rolling down off Pacific Grade Summit and Ebbetts Pass in 1st or 2nd gear:

4CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

4CAb by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Finally found myself a colored AZ Loop 101, these went up in my neighborhood when the Scottsdale segment was built:

paulthemapguy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 08, 2017, 09:59:58 PM
I got this beauty today: a 36x45" state-named Minnesota I-35W sign. MnDOT sticker on the back says 2000 (I'm guessing that was the last time it was inspected?), but the date code at the bottom center says 5-93:

(24x30" I-35E sign for scale)

Often, the date on the front of the panel marks the date a sign was created.  The date on the back probably indicates the date of installation, meaning that from 1993 to 2000, it sat in a sign shop waiting to be installed.  When the signs sit in a shop, they are shielded from light, because the light is what deteriorates the sign's reflectivity.  So that's probably the story of that sign panel.  :)
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 16, 2017, 11:11:30 AM
Often, the date on the front of the panel marks the date a sign was created.  The date on the back probably indicates the date of installation, meaning that from 1993 to 2000, it sat in a sign shop waiting to be installed.  When the signs sit in a shop, they are shielded from light, because the light is what deteriorates the sign's reflectivity.  So that's probably the story of that sign panel.  :)

Good to know, thanks.

Another fantastic addition to my collection arrived today–I'm sure those of you who browse eBay saw this fine specimen:

Max Rockatansky

Been a little bit since I've gotten a sign, just picked up a meaty 31x35 CA 210.  Figure this will be even more unique IF Caltrans ever gets the around to finishing converting what was CA 30 into part of I-210:

US71

There's a "junk shop" in Sarcoxie, MO I'm going to hit this weekend. I may not find anything, but I've been successful before.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.