News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Anyone here into flight simulators?

Started by capt.ron, February 14, 2020, 03:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.ron

It's one thing I tinker with from time to time, currently mucking about with XPlane 11 . Right now, I'm watching Microsoft's upcoming Flight Simulator 2020. It's eye-popping graphics (provided that you have a hefty computer with a good graphics card) and it's extensive use of Bing satellite data will allow for very good VFR. So imagine yourself in the Cessna 172 flying just above the interstates and around cities and whatnot. I for one am stoked for its upcoming release. How about you all?

MikieTimT

Quote from: capt.ron on February 14, 2020, 03:38:15 PM
It's one thing I tinker with from time to time, currently mucking about with XPlane 11 . Right now, I'm watching Microsoft's upcoming Flight Simulator 2020. It's eye-popping graphics (provided that you have a hefty computer with a good graphics card) and it's extensive use of Bing satellite data will allow for very good VFR. So imagine yourself in the Cessna 172 flying just above the interstates and around cities and whatnot. I for one am stoked for its upcoming release. How about you all?

Back before I got married, I was taking flying lessons and even got to the point of doing my cross-country solo before I met the lady who would become my wife.  My money and time dried up after that, and flying is fairly expensive unless you are a commercial pilot getting paid to shuttle others around.  I had the previous Microsoft Flight Simulator and even still have my yoke and rudder pedals in storage, but I haven't got the time or PC for the new version anymore.  Wish I did.  I still get the bug living in the flight path for the Wedington Woods Airport.  It's just a neighborhood grass strip, but I go to church with one of the guys who live on the field.  He took me in his restored Aeronca Chief to Berryville a few months ago for a breakfast at the FBO one morning, so the itch is getting really strong, but still don't have time or money, not to mention the fact that I need to drop about 50 lbs.!

ozarkman417

I have nearly 450 hours on Microsoft Flight Simulator X, which I got in 2016 (shortly before the game turned 10). Since the game is now 15 years old, much of the content is quite outdated. I haven't played in months, but during the time I played it, I developed an International hub airport for Springfield, complete with AI traffic. I'm just waiting for FS 2020, and I hope it has decent modding capabilities, and more importantly, DECENT MULTIPLAYER!  :banghead: :pan: :banghead:
You know what I mean if you bought the Steam Edition of the game, published by the same company that added $5,266.25 worth of DLC for the game, Dovetail.

Rothman

I remember Microsoft Flight Simulator back when you could fly the Sopwith Camel (Snoopy's plane), but really got into Century of Flight and FSX.  Still play multiplayer on weekends with my son and others.  Looking forward to 2020, especially as my son heads off to college to become a pilot.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

My dad owns a Piper Tri-Pacer, so of course he messed around with flight simulators a lot when I was a kid. He had one (I think it was one of the Microsoft Flight Simulators) that would allow you to select any registered airstrip in the US as a take off or landing point, including the grass strip in our backyard. Of course, it didn't go to the trouble of including any interesting features of any of the lesser-known airports in the database, just the runway layouts and such. Which meant that our house was missing, as was the row of trees at the south end of the strip that added a degree of challenge to south-facing takeoffs. But it was fun to imagine while we were doing stuff like landing 747s on the grass strip.

One time he did a simulated flight in a Tri-Pacer from our house to Johnson County Executive in Olathe, Kansas, which was something he'd considered doing before as an alternative to driving up for Thanksgiving. It took hours. The nice thing about it being a flight sim was he was able to leave it going, go eat dinner, and come back to find the Tri-Pacer still on course as it passed over southeast Kansas.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ET21

I can't wait for the new Microsoft Flight Sim game. Have played 2002, 2004, X, and the Steam edition for many hours
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ozarkman417

The new Microsoft Flight Simulator is live! Now, I just have to wait several hours for the ninety gigabyte game to download.

capt.ron

I'm about to take the plunge too! I just dread that download!

skquinn

I have Flightgear on the computer in the office, but haven't fired it up in quite a while.

Rothman

I need a new computer for the new Microsoft Flight Simulator, but I am in no rush to get it until all the kinks are worked out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

capt.ron

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and I'm now messing with it. It actually runs quite well on my 6 year old core i7 (4771) system. My favorite plane at the moment is the Icon A5, which is a light sport plane...and even cooler is that the plane has the ability to land and take off on water. I did learn one thing. As of now, bridges aren't properly modeled so there is no flying under them. I tried flying under the bridges on the Arkansas River west of the airport. Didn't go so well. But flying over the I-30 / I - 630 interchange was rather nice, as well as flying by the skyscrapers in downtown LR. Most of the autogen is quite accurate, especially compared to XPlane.
Now if someone would bring Wilbur the flying pig from XPlane over to MSFS2020...

ozarkman417

Quote from: capt.ron on September 27, 2020, 09:33:07 PM
I did learn one thing. As of now, bridges aren't properly modeled so there is no flying under them. I tried flying under the bridges on the Arkansas River west of the airport. Didn't go so well.
Yep, I learned that the hard way as well. I wanted to take a tour of the bridges of the Ohio River, and all the truss bridges are 2d images reflected on the terrain, rather than a 3d object. This is especially noticeable when visiting the New River Gorge bridge in WV. The bridge doesn't actually have pillars, but it does here! Also, the two different carriageways are a good 100+ feet away from each other vertically, and despite flying through the pillars, I still crashed... in to thin air. 

MikieTimT

I had to upgrade the wife's (has become mine) PC that has an AMD 3600X in it to replace the 650 TI with a 1660TI to run it decently smooth on the 4K Samsung TV in the bedroom.  I clearly need to get a new yoke as it seems too stiff from age (from the last Flight Simulator!) to cleanly land on the roof of my brother-in-law's house near Smith Field in Siloam Springs.

CapeCodder

Favorite flights in FSX:

HYA-ACK-MVY-UUU-BID-HYA

HYA-Hyannis
ACK-Nantucket
MVY-Martha's Vineyard
UUU-Newport, RI
BID-Block Island

yand

MSFS 2020 is great - really opens up a whole new level of realism for visual flying. But what I really want is for the engine to be adapted into a driving game - either by Microsoft/Asobo or licensed to a 3rd party like SCS (truck sim series). Imagine a thriving ecosystem of addon road scenery by different developers on a shared 1:1 map with those real life scans  :love:
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

STLmapboy

I play FSX a bit, haven't grabbed MSFS 20 yet.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.