News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Largest One Week Temperature Variations You’ve Experienced

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 07, 2020, 12:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 27, 2022, 09:25:43 PM
In Missoula, it's a damn heat wave. It's gone from -23 with -40 wind chill last Wednesday the 22nd to today with light rain showers and 40 making the snow all yucky and mushy.

Looks like we have the same temperature spread–just twenty degrees colder where you are.

It's currently 57°F and cloudy here in Wichita, with a forecast high of 59°F.  Last Thursday, the low was —5°F.  That's a 64-degree spread in one week.  There has been a stiff south wind both yesterday and today, around 20—25 mph.  The little snow cover that remained on Christmas lasted longer than it might have otherwise, because we got freezing rain on the evening of the 25th, which ended up somewhat protecting the snow from immediate melting under a thin crust of ice.  Most of the remainder has melted today, however, with just little spots still to be found.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

We went from -24° last Wednesday morning to 61° yesterday - 85° spread.

paulthemapguy

Similarly, like in the last two posts, we went from -8°F to +61°F between 12/23 and 12/27 here in Joliet.  A very nice temperature differential if I do say so myself.  :) It's going to be really difficult to beat Denver in this contest, though.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

thspfc

The most I can remember here is when we skipped spring this past May: from a low of 33 on May 4 to a high of 93 on May 10.

CoreySamson

Quote from: CoreySamson on November 10, 2022, 03:14:02 PM
I may have actually broken this in October. I was home on a break from college, where it apparently got up to about 91 degrees. Less than a week later, I was back in Tulsa right in time for a cold snap which brought a low temperature of 27. That's a difference of 64 degrees if I'm counting this right. And a couple days after that cold snap hit it got up to 90 here, so that would be my new single-place temperature variation record I've experienced at 63.
This week broke my record again. Back home in Houston on Jan 8 it was the most humid 73 I can ever recall, while this week (Jan 14), it got down to 0 here in Tulsa. Which makes it convenient to calculate that my single-week temperature variation record is now 73 degrees.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

thspfc

At 5 PM on Monday it was 65. At 7 AM tomorrow it will be 5. So that's 60 degrees in 38 hours. Yesterday I biked 34 miles in shorts and was sweating, today I couldn't feel my face after walking outside for 5 minutes.

It wasn't a linear decline either - it bottomed at 32 last night, warmed up to 51 this morning, and has since been rapidly cooling. That's a total decrease of 79 degrees in 32 hours, factoring out the 6 hours in which it was warming up.

Quote from: thspfc on February 25, 2023, 07:42:38 PM
The most I can remember here is when we skipped spring this past May: from a low of 33 on May 4 to a high of 93 on May 10.
Ha, this post was almost exactly one year ago.

ZLoth

As reported by Weather Underground for February, 2024:

Saturday, February 24th: Low of 46℉
Monday, February 26th: High of 91℉ which set a record for that date
https://twitter.com/NWSFortWorth/status/1761944340228866409
https://twitter.com/NWSFortWorth/status/1762194612876415251
Thursday, February 29th: Low of 41℉ forecast
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Flint1979

How about one day? Yesterday it was 72 degrees in Detroit, right now it's 35 degrees in Detroit. The high today was 60 which has already happened. Lower Michigan is having some back and forth weather, one day it'll be 60, the next day it'll be 32, the next day it'll be 48, then 38, then 53 or something like that. That's how Michigan weather is though.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

paulthemapguy

This weather has been insane the last couple of days. 73 for a high yesterday and temperatures late this morning got down to 21. A low of 18 is forecast tonight.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on February 28, 2024, 12:28:08 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 28, 2024, 12:25:05 PM
That's how Michigan weather is though.

Along with the other states, too...
Yeah I basically told someone from Ohio that too. They said only in Ohio can it go from 70 to 30 in one day I said Michigan says hold my beer.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 28, 2024, 11:31:56 PM
Michigan says hold my beer. Stroh's.
FIFY
Or maybe Bell's would be a more contemporary reference.

kphoger

Yeah I basically told someone from Ohio that too. They said only in Ohio can it go from 70 to 30 in one day I said Michigan says hold my beer.

Everybody, in every state, every year, says, "Only in __________ can the weather go from _________ to __________ in __________ hours!"

It's not a Michigan thing.  It's an everywhere thing.  And if it's specific to a region, then it's a general Midwest thing.

I suspect North Dakota might tell Michigan to hold its beer.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Being from Oklahoma, it is weird to me how little the weather has changed in Las Vegas since I got here. About the same temperature every day (one day it rained so it was a little cooler). It feels like it got stuck or something.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on February 29, 2024, 10:12:46 AM

Everybody, in every state, every year, says, "Only in __________ can the weather go from _________ to __________ in __________ hours!"

It's not a Michigan thing.  It's an everywhere thing.  And if it's specific to a region, then it's a general Midwest thing.

So you're saying Denver is in the Midwest now? smh

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 29, 2024, 10:37:20 AM
Being from Oklahoma, it is weird to me how little the weather has changed in Las Vegas since I got here. About the same temperature every day (one day it rained so it was a little cooler). It feels like it got stuck or something.

Touché.

Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 29, 2024, 11:03:11 AM

No.  In fact, I was thinking of you when I typed that.  But I suspect it's more common in, say, South Dakota than in Grand Junction.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on February 29, 2024, 11:07:58 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 29, 2024, 11:03:11 AM

No.  In fact, I was thinking of you when I typed that.  But I suspect it's more common in, say, South Dakota than in Grand Junction.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

The Front Range and eastern plains are definitely swingier than the western slope. The mountains are somewhere in between as they're fairly predictably unpredictable. (You can not see a cloud in the sky and 30 minutes later be in a lightning storm.)

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 29, 2024, 11:13:07 AM
The Front Range and eastern plains are definitely swingier ...

Which I know well, having grown up 200 miles from the eastern edge of metro Denver.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on February 29, 2024, 11:07:08 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 29, 2024, 10:37:20 AM

Touché.

I saw a post in one of the Las Vegas Reddit groups shaming Midwestern tourists for making fun of valets clustering around big outdoor heaters when it's in the 50s.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

"You know what they say about weather in __________: 'If you don't like it, just wait 5 minutes and it will change.'"

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on February 29, 2024, 10:12:46 AM

Well the Great Lakes vastly has an effect on Michigan's weather. Not too as many other states are going to get the effects of lake effect snow. The Great Lakes can whip up a storm in a hurry.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on February 29, 2024, 01:34:39 PM
"You know what they say about weather in __________: 'If you don't like it, just wait 5 minutes and it will change.'"
That's a common one here in Michigan.

bm7

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.