News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Queen Elizabeth II dies at age 96

Started by NWI_Irish96, September 08, 2022, 11:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 08, 2022, 05:25:55 PM
As far as I am aware, the actual time of the Queen's death has not yet been released.  There was a tweet from the monarchy's official account at 6.41 PM local time, but it has been reported that news was brought to Liz Truss and Keir Starmer in Parliament at 12.21 PM that prompted long faces; BBC anchor Huw Edwards was in a black suit and tie at 1.48 PM; and another BBC anchor tweeted at 3.07 PM that Buckingham Palace had announced the death and retracted it at 3.19 PM, saying no announcement had yet been made.

When I checked the Guardian around noon my local time (six hours behind BST), she was still described as being "under medical supervision."  I actually first learned the news about an hour later through the Washington Post's banner headline.  This all feels very sudden--as recently as two days ago she was only described as having mobility issues that required Truss to fly to Scotland to kiss hands.

The family going to her bedside was a clue that she was nearing death,

Scott5114

This couldn't have happened at a worse time for the monarchy–the British public is undergoing a cost-of-living crisis that by all accounts I've read is far worse than what we got hit with in the US. There will be no way to do the traditional pomp and circumstance of the coronation (which costs a great deal of public money) without it coming off as catastrophically tone-deaf.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 08, 2022, 05:25:55 PM
As far as I am aware, the actual time of the Queen's death has not yet been released.  There was a tweet from the monarchy's official account at 6.41 PM local time, but it has been reported that news was brought to Liz Truss and Keir Starmer in Parliament at 12.21 PM that prompted long faces; BBC anchor Huw Edwards was in a black suit and tie at 1.48 PM; and another BBC anchor tweeted at 3.07 PM that Buckingham Palace had announced the death and retracted it at 3.19 PM, saying no announcement had yet been made.

When I checked the Guardian around noon my local time (six hours behind BST), she was still described as being "under medical supervision."  I actually first learned the news about an hour later through the Washington Post's banner headline.  This all feels very sudden--as recently as two days ago she was only described as having mobility issues that required Truss to fly to Scotland to kiss hands.

Here in Wichita, KAKE news jumped the gun by a little bit.  My wife texted me she had read a social media post by KAKE that the Queen was dead, and that text message was at 6:34pm (Britain time).  She then realized there wasn't an actual article to go along with the post, so she checked the official royal site, and no official announcement had yet been made.  Then, literally seconds later, she saw it change on the royal site.  She then texted me to let me know it was official, and that message was at 6:39pm (Britain time).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Urban Prairie Schooner

To make this thread road-related, the Queen was born the same year that the US highway system was officially introduced.

davewiecking

QE2 reigned for about 28.5% of the time the United States has existed.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 08, 2022, 06:52:52 PM
The family going to her bedside was a clue that she was nearing death,

The BBC news presenters having switched to black clothes hours before the formal announcement was the even more telling clue.

davewiecking

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2022, 05:11:56 PM
I mean new currency. My gut tells me that they (countries that use her face on currency) will continue to put her face on some currency well after her death. Things will continue to be named in her honor, statues erected, etc. Even those who may have disdain for her, likely have their disdain rooted in anti-monarchy values; ergo, nothing personal.

Canada announced awhile back that the mint will change their coins more or less as soon as they get new dies approved by the Crown, but the Queen will remain on the $20 bill until it next comes up for redesign.  I'm going to guess that's a couple of years out, after they finish working on the design of the new $5.

I'm not sure if there's a requirement that the Sovereign be on the $20, and I suppose there's a chance they might choose to become a republic.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on September 08, 2022, 08:11:04 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2022, 05:11:56 PM
I mean new currency. My gut tells me that they (countries that use her face on currency) will continue to put her face on some currency well after her death. Things will continue to be named in her honor, statues erected, etc. Even those who may have disdain for her, likely have their disdain rooted in anti-monarchy values; ergo, nothing personal.

Canada announced awhile back that the mint will change their coins more or less as soon as they get new dies approved by the Crown, but the Queen will remain on the $20 bill until it next comes up for redesign.  I'm going to guess that's a couple of years out, after they finish working on the design of the new $5.

I'm not sure if there's a requirement that the Sovereign be on the $20, and I suppose there's a chance they might choose to become a republic.

We got to check if Australia and New Zealand will change their coins as well.

bing101

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 08, 2022, 07:10:03 PM
This couldn't have happened at a worse time for the monarchy–the British public is undergoing a cost-of-living crisis that by all accounts I've read is far worse than what we got hit with in the US. There will be no way to do the traditional pomp and circumstance of the coronation (which costs a great deal of public money) without it coming off as catastrophically tone-deaf.
https://www.npr.org/2022/09/06/1121266992/liz-truss-prime-minister-queen-elizabeth

And the crazy part here is that PM Truss still needs to appoint cabinet members to office and she finds herself having to get the UK Mourn the now former Queen and Inaugurate the next King of England. This is a crazy start for Truss but understandable.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/verify/world-verify/king-charles-automatically-takes-throne-england-after-queen-elizabeth-death/536-142f1571-c29d-44b9-80a2-155879ed555c

https://thehill.com/homenews/nexstar_media_wire/3634826-will-king-charles-iii-now-appear-on-bank-of-england-banknotes/

Ted$8roadFan

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 08, 2022, 07:10:03 PM

The Coronation will not happen until next Summer or the following Spring.  They need time to plan.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 08, 2022, 07:10:03 PMThis couldn't have happened at a worse time for the monarchy–the British public is undergoing a cost-of-living crisis that by all accounts I've read is far worse than what we got hit with in the US. There will be no way to do the traditional pomp and circumstance of the coronation (which costs a great deal of public money) without it coming off as catastrophically tone-deaf.

It doesn't have to be done immediately--Elizabeth's own ceremony did not take place until almost 16 months after she succeeded her father.  It cost £1.57 million in 1953 nominal money (the equivalent of about £43 million in 2019).

At the moment the cost-of-living debate is focused on a regulatory cap on household energy bills that is set up to go to £3800 annually for a typical household on October 1 (typical here used advisedly since the cap is actually based on maximum rates per day--the October increase corresponds to a jump from £0.28 to £0.52 per kWh of electricity and £0.07 to £0.15 per kWh of gas).  Even middle-class households are expected to struggle to pay their bills.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mgk920

How long will it be before Canada's QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way) becomes the KCW (King Charles Way)?

Mike

J N Winkler

Quote from: mgk920 on September 08, 2022, 10:54:21 PMHow long will it be before Canada's QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way) becomes the KCW (King Charles Way)?

It never will.  It is actually named after Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

gonealookin

Quote from: hbelkins on September 08, 2022, 11:12:10 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 08, 2022, 09:20:59 PM
Quote from: davewiecking on September 08, 2022, 08:10:14 PM
https://twitter.com/mroctober/status/1567959503081189376

I was waiting for this.

Someone is going to have to explain this to me. (I still despise Reggie because he played for the A's in 1972).

It's a reference to Reggie's appearance in "The Naked Gun".

https://www.outkick.com/reggie-jackson-references-naked-gun-in-queen-elizabeth-tribute/

I was an 11-year-old A's fan living in Walnut Creek, CA in 1972.  They won the World Series that year and in '73 and '74 as well.  I knew they wouldn't win it every year but my 11-year-old mind calculated about 20 World Series wins for the A's by 2022.  Hmmm, somehow that hasn't happened.  I would note that the A's won the 1972 World Series without Reggie, as he blew out his hamstring stealing home in the final game of the ALCS in Detroit.  Your Reds lost because of a lot of Gene Tenace and Rollie Fingers.

ClassicHasClass

As an dual-citizen Aussie-American, and married to an Aussie, this was a sad day. I was more sad about this than I thought I'd be. Charles III is definitely a step down.

brad2971

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 08, 2022, 10:38:06 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 08, 2022, 07:10:03 PMThis couldn't have happened at a worse time for the monarchy—the British public is undergoing a cost-of-living crisis that by all accounts I've read is far worse than what we got hit with in the US. There will be no way to do the traditional pomp and circumstance of the coronation (which costs a great deal of public money) without it coming off as catastrophically tone-deaf.

It doesn't have to be done immediately--Elizabeth's own ceremony did not take place until almost 16 months after she succeeded her father.  It cost £1.57 million in 1953 nominal money (the equivalent of about £43 million in 2019).

At the moment the cost-of-living debate is focused on a regulatory cap on household energy bills that is set up to go to £3800 annually for a typical household on October 1 (typical here used advisedly since the cap is actually based on maximum rates per day--the October increase corresponds to a jump from £0.28 to £0.52 per kWh of electricity and £0.07 to £0.15 per kWh of gas).  Even middle-class households are expected to struggle to pay their bills.

That corresponds to a rate of about $0.60 per kWh in USD. By comparison, in 2022, US customers pay $0.16/kWh for electricity, with Hawaii's citizens paying the most at about $0.40/kWh and California citizens paying about $0.27/kWh. While we in the States have been dealing with our own issues with higher energy costs, at least we're not even close to what the UK and Europe are facing.

adventurernumber1

This is a sad day indeed, and feels a lot like the ending of an era. The Queen's longevity was incredible, as she ascended to the throne while not much older than me (an early 20s college student), and reigned until a few years short of 100. She was the Queen during the existence of 14 different U.S. presidential administrations (starting with Harry S. Truman), and her reign also precedes the Interstate Highway System by a few years. I was shocked to see the news when I came out of class today, especially since it was such a sudden decline (I do remember seeing the news articles about limited mobility causing the cancellation of an appearance a few days ago). This news also hit me harder than I would have expected, especially since I have no connections to Britain at all. But it's something about a significant point of transition in history that weighs heavy with significance and contemplation. RIP, she will go down in history as a true icon of the 20th and 21st Centuries.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

qguy

Fun fact... The PM when QEII ascended the throne and the PM when she died were born over a hundred years apart. (Winston Churchill, b.1874; Liz Truss, b.1975.)

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 09, 2022, 06:47:59 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 08, 2022, 11:12:10 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 08, 2022, 09:20:59 PM
Quote from: davewiecking on September 08, 2022, 08:10:14 PM
https://twitter.com/mroctober/status/1567959503081189376

I was waiting for this.

Someone is going to have to explain this to me. (I still despise Reggie because he played for the A's in 1972).

How have you never seen The Naked Gun?
Heh.  You should peruse more of HB's posts.  Him not seeing The Naked Gun is pretty middlin' when it comes to his other pop culture blind spots. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: qguy on September 09, 2022, 06:45:22 AM
Fun fact... The PM when QEII ascended the throne and the PM when she died were born over a hundred years apart. (Winston Churchill, b.1874; Liz Truss, b.1975.)

It keeps making me think of a true bizarre fact about American history:

The late President John Tyler (served 1841 to 1845, died in 1862) has one grandson who is still alive today. His first wife died, he remarried a much younger woman, and he had children by her, including one son born very late in John Tyler's life. That son, in turn, married a much younger woman and had sons very late in life, one of whom died just a few years ago and another of whom (born in 1928) remains alive today. It's mind-boggling to think that there is someone alive today whose grandfather was born when George Washington was president and George III was king!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on September 08, 2022, 08:11:04 PMCanada announced awhile back that the mint will change their coins more or less as soon as they get new dies approved by the Crown, but the Queen will remain on the $20 bill until it next comes up for redesign.  I'm going to guess that's a couple of years out, after they finish working on the design of the new $5.

I just read that there's no law in Canada requiring the Monarch be on Canadian coins and currency.   Charles III will probably appear on the coins because of tradition, but the new C$20 bill may go with a non-royal, as concerns of diversity/equity make "an old white man" a less-than-desirable choice for the new bill.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.