News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Gardening and Lawn Care Thread

Started by on_wisconsin, April 30, 2023, 03:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

on_wisconsin

It's about time we had a gardening and lawn care thread for (potentially) green thumbed folks. Talk and tips and results about plants, mowing, shrubbery, watering, fruits/ vegetables, grass, trees, weeds, pruning, and anything else to do with lawns, gardens, and landscaping. Pictures and videos welcome. Indoor/greenhouse gardens tolerated.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

wanderer2575

I have a "40 mph" lawn -- it looks great when you drive past it at 40 mph.

In_Correct

I have no lawn.  Completely Flower Beds.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

SectorZ

I second the idea of this thread. Pix would nice to see, too.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: In_Correct on April 30, 2023, 04:54:50 PMI have no lawn.  Completely Flower Beds.
What types of flowers/ plants do you typically grow and do you Xeriscape?
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

In_Correct

Quote from: on_wisconsin on May 01, 2023, 10:12:17 AM
Quote from: In_Correct on April 30, 2023, 04:54:50 PMI have no lawn.  Completely Flower Beds.
What types of flowers/ plants do you typically grow and do you Xeriscape?

They are Iris ( any Iris ) and Lily ( Tiger, Orange, Purple, Red Spider, Stargazer ) and Hyacinth and Daffodil ( three types ) ... I try to have plants that are both drought and flood resistant ... It is necessary for them in the type of Environment I have. ... Some times it is too dry ... Some times it is too wet. ... Other bonus plants I like to include are Sunflowers.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

triplemultiplex

Three things I will never do to any lawn I'm in charge of:
water
fertilize
spread poison

Also, I will never waste my life removing "weeds".  As long as there are no thorns, I don't give a shit.
I live in a city where if I owned property, I could fill out a form so I'd never have to even mow the goddamn thing.  My neighbor does that and it looks awesome; like it's the woods.  The pollinators love it too.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

In_Correct

" Pardon The Weeds ... We Are Feeding The Bees. "

kirbykart

on_wisconsin

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 01, 2023, 04:31:20 PMThe pollinators love it too.

Quote from: In_Correct on May 01, 2023, 10:29:39 PM"Pardon The Weeds ... We Are Feeding The Bees."

Interestingly the study that is used as the academic basis for "No Mow May" etc was retracted last fall: https://peerj.com/articles/10021/retraction/

Rothman

Quote from: on_wisconsin on May 04, 2023, 01:53:32 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 01, 2023, 04:31:20 PMThe pollinators love it too.

Quote from: In_Correct on May 01, 2023, 10:29:39 PM"Pardon The Weeds ... We Are Feeding The Bees."

Interestingly the study that is used as the academic basis for "No Mow May" etc was retracted last fall: https://peerj.com/articles/10021/retraction/
Was that the only supporting study?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 01, 2023, 04:31:20 PMI live in a city where if I owned property, I could fill out a form so I'd never have to even mow the goddamn thing.  My neighbor does that and it looks awesome; like it's the woods.  The pollinators love it too.
Maybe I've lived in cities for too long, but I'm picturing overgrowth that also harbors several extended families of rats.

Totally agree about finely manicured lawns being a colossal waste of resources, though.

In_Correct

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2023, 06:22:08 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 01, 2023, 04:31:20 PMI live in a city where if I owned property, I could fill out a form so I'd never have to even mow the goddamn thing.  My neighbor does that and it looks awesome; like it's the woods.  The pollinators love it too.
Maybe I've lived in cities for too long, but I'm picturing overgrowth that also harbors several extended families of rats.

Totally agree about finely manicured lawns being a colossal waste of resources, though.

If only The Mongoose was not wrongfully banished.

hotdogPi

Quote from: In_Correct on May 04, 2023, 08:03:56 PM

Who are you referring to? I'm missing the obvious reference, and I don't know whether this is something from pop culture, a forum member, or something else entirely...

A Google search isn't helping.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

In_Correct

Quote from: 1 on May 04, 2023, 08:44:00 PM
Quote from: In_Correct on May 04, 2023, 08:03:56 PM

Who are you referring to? I'm missing the obvious reference, and I don't know whether this is something from pop culture, a forum member, or something else entirely...

A Google search isn't helping.

I meant the ferret-like creature, not bicycle.

J N Winkler

What are people's thoughts on gas versus electric lawn mowers?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

The weedy overgrowth one tends to associate with unmowed lots is a temporary phase. What humans consider "weeds" are generally colonizer plants that are the first to grow in damaged areas. (The natural systems that govern such things treat human maintenance of a grass monoculture the same way they would a disaster event like a volcano eruption or wildfire.) If left unmowed long enough, more permanent native grass and tree species will establish themselves and replace the weeds as the land reverts to whatever kind of ecosystem it was before human intervention.

This is difficult to see in an urban environment because property owners are rarely allowed to leave the lot unmowed long enough to progress to the stages that occur after the weedy overgrowth stage.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 05, 2023, 07:06:04 PM
I've found electric to be a pain.  Gas for life.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dirt Roads

I have both.  Because of my "sandwich generation" issue, I rarely have the time to maintain my equipment.  The battery-powered mower doesn't require as much maintenance as the spark-plug version (even though I always non-ethanol gasoline).  We have a friend with sensory issues that was unable to deal with gasoline fumes and can't drive a zero-turn.  He had done fine with manual push and battery-powered mowers, and even got to where he could handle a large commercial out-front mower with a large diesel engine in the far back.

One issue that I am having with the electric push mower is that the larger batteries that come with the mower die about every two years.  The smaller batteries tend to run for about four to five years or so.  Those are also less expensive.  Before you need a new battery, you should check out the deals on other equipment that use smaller batteries compatible with the mower.  For about $20 or $30 more than the cost of a smaller replacement battery, you can pick up a nice tool in the process.

Replacement batteries (40V for this example):

• Greenworks 8Ah = $260, 5Ah = $180, 4Ah = $160, 2.5Ah = $140, 2Ah = $120 (chainsaw w/ two 4Ah batteries = $280)
  • Ryobi 7.5Ah = $260, 6Ah = $220, 5Ah = $190, 4Ah = $190 (usually lower than the 5Ah), 2Ah = $150 (string trimmer w/ one 4Ah battery = $230)
  • Husqvasrna 9.4Ah commercial = $340, 7.7Ah = $310, 5Ah commercial = $320, 4Ah = $190,  2.6Ah = $175 (leaf blower w/ one 4Ah battery = $320)

As you can probably tell, I've settled in with 3Ah and 4Ah batteries for the long haul (can't find the 3Ah anymore).  Always keep a spare battery handy and pick up a second spare after the first year (ergo, buy another tool with the right size battery).  If you find that your yard needs more than one battery to get all the way through, you are might need an extra battery (ergo, a total of four in the second year).

SectorZ

Had an electric lawnmower that was pretty good. 5 years in the battery died. The manufacturer chose to not make the battery anymore, so functionally I had a lawn paperweight. Went back to gas after that.

Gas mowers are better from a standpoint of getting the job done but I would prefer a battery powered one next time if they pull their heads out of their rears in regards to quick-turn planned obsolescence.

Ted$8roadFan

I have both, although I have yet to use the electric one (purchased by a family member). I like the idea of using an electric mower as opposed to a gas one (no fumes, less emissions, etc.), but I'll see if the reality of the electric (i.e. battery) is worth it in the long run.

Dirt Roads

^^^^
By the way, there are still manufacturers that make "electric mowers" and those do not have batteries.  If you've got a small enough yard and can deal with the long drop cord, those would be better than the battery-powered mower for 120 reasons.  Beware.  I knew somebody that had one and he still has a drop cord with a splice in the middle.  He got rid of it before I ever saw it action.   :pan:

Scott5114

After the nonsense of having to take apart the gas mower to clean out the gunked-up carburetor, I would probably buy an electric mower, if not for the fact that my current ambition is to live in the desert and thus never have anything to mow ever again.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dlsterner

Whatever kind of mower my lawn service wants to use is fine with me  :bigass:  (They use a commercial zero-radius-turn riding mower)

Being serious:  Before that I had a corded electric mower.  I didn't have to worry about maintaining a gas mower.  And my yard is small enough that the cord was not an issue.  Do the front yard plugged into the front outlet, do the back yard plugged into the back outlet.  Just had to watch where the cord was feeding the mower.  And I at least felt like I was being green.

If it ever got to the point where I would have had to replace it, probably would have gotten a cordless electric.

In_Correct

Before that, my first Mower was a Gas Mower that also included a jug of oil. The Oil level said it was at the correct level. However, it seized any ways. I was able to unseize it, and it had a loud rattle ever since. After 5 complete mows with it, a large puncture in the side of the engine.

I bought Electric mowers after that, even if it meant buying several of them.

I gave the heap away to some body that wanted the pull cord for a weed eater.

My first Electric Mower is a Sun Joe baby electric mower that CAN be opened to change the battery, however it is not supposed to be changed regularly. It does not have any Charging Station. You plug the mower it self. And that is why I needed several of them.

Sun Joe also makes a larger mower which includes a Charging Station to charge a pair of batteries. Both fully charged batteries must be inserted in the mower to start it, and the batteries must be Fully Functional. I can open the batteries to check for Corrosion. If you buy Spare Batteries to get every thing done the same day, they must be bought in pairs. Also this type of mower has a Height Adjustment, and can be folded easily. ... and not that difficult to carry.

Both of these types of mowers are mostly Plastic.

I never owned a gas Weed Eater. I used electric. I have one that uses a single battery, and several spare batteries, and a charger for each one. These batteries did not last long. The Corded electric weeder I had died in the second Season.

I never owned a Corded mower. If I did, I would probably attempt to plug it in to a Jump Starter, and place the Jump Starter in a Back Pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q4dUt1yK0g

If I ever needed to replace a battery that has been discontinued, I would simply conjure up a replacement.

Also there is this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul_pfPHB1RM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.