News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Quote from: chrismarion100 on November 04, 2021, 10:13:42 PM
What's your thoughts of making US 53 a four lane highway without any traffic lights all the way to I-35

It already is, unless you are speaking of making it a freeway all the way to I-35? In that case, it's not necessary. The expressway functions well. Maybe at some point you could make the case for full freeway conversion between Rice Lake and Spooner, but there are way more important priorities for WisDOT right now.

Heck, I'd say closing the freeway gap on US 51 between Merrill and Tomahawk should be more important than any freeway conversion projects on US 53 at the moment.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: I-39 on November 04, 2021, 11:08:30 PM
Quote from: chrismarion100 on November 04, 2021, 10:13:42 PM
What's your thoughts of making US 53 a four lane highway without any traffic lights all the way to I-35

It already is, unless you are speaking of making it a freeway all the way to I-35? In that case, it's not necessary. The expressway functions well. Maybe at some point you could make the case for full freeway conversion between Rice Lake and Spooner, but there are way more important priorities for WisDOT right now.

I think he meant specifically making 2/53 freeway through Superior, which isn't really necessary either aside from maybe cleaning up some of the minor intersections between Belknap St and the expressway. Other than that it takes a damn eternity to drive through East End, the traffic's not there.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SEWIGuy

I don't know where you would even put a US-53 freeway through Superior.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 05, 2021, 11:45:06 AM

Well there is a nice gap in that tank farm to get one up toward 28th Ave.  Depart the existing facility at the welcome center to hit that gap, then one just has to punch through going west to north of the municipal airport to the railyards that divide the city at which point one turns back north and uses that space to get up to the foot of the Bong Bridge.  It's not a particularly cheap path, but it is possible without being too disruptive. 

Based on how Minnesota constructed the I-35/US east interchange, this was probably close to the thinking when they built the Bong Bridge.

The thing is, it is hard to justify the expense compared to the traffic up there.  The long slog through the entire length of Superior is here to stay.  In 1910, Superior was the 2nd largest city in Wisconsin. Today, it doesn't crack the top 30.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Rothman

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 05, 2021, 12:52:48 PM

Well there is a nice gap in that tank farm to get one up toward 28th Ave.  Depart the existing facility at the welcome center to hit that gap, then one just has to punch through going west to north of the municipal airport to the railyards that divide the city at which point one turns back north and uses that space to get up to the foot of the Bong Bridge.  It's not a particularly cheap path, but it is possible without being too disruptive. 

Egads, this is so wrong on so many levels it's hard to know where to begin.  North of the airport?  Gap between the tank farms?  Punch through?  This would be very disruptive and totally infeasible given you'd have to deal with Murphy Oil and the west side industries...let alone the residence takings and airport disruption...So, SEWI's got it right.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

skluth

Quote from: Rothman on November 05, 2021, 01:42:22 PM

Egads, this is so wrong on so many levels it's hard to know where to begin.  North of the airport?  Gap between the tank farms?  Punch through?  This would be very disruptive and totally infeasible given you'd have to deal with Murphy Oil and the west side industries...let alone the residence takings and airport disruption...So, SEWI's got it right.
Getting dangerously close to fictional here. But why couldn't a freeway be run along the wide railroad corridor between Elmira and Oakes? I honestly don't think one is needed. But if a freeway was built through Superior along the rail corridor north until the Belknap St viaduct and then over the Bong Bridge, it could be done with a minimal loss of housing and businesses. It would have to be extended east to US 2/53 south of Superior, but that's mostly woodland. I don't think it would save any time vs the current 2nd St corridor considering 2nd St is essentially a (dare I say the word?) hypotenuse of the potential freeway legs.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: skluth on November 05, 2021, 04:39:14 PM

Getting dangerously close to fictional here. But why couldn't a freeway be run along the wide railroad corridor between Elmira and Oakes? I honestly don't think one is needed. But if a freeway was built through Superior along the rail corridor north until the Belknap St viaduct and then over the Bong Bridge, it could be done with a minimal loss of housing and businesses. It would have to be extended east to US 2/53 south of Superior, but that's mostly woodland. I don't think it would save any time vs the current 2nd St corridor considering 2nd St is essentially a (dare I say the word?) hypotenuse of the potential freeway legs.

As I understand it, when a US 2 bypass was considered the rail yard ROW south of Belknap was where it was studied. But then you run into that same problem of where it could turn back to the east, as what commercial growth has happened in Superior has fanned out along Tower Avenue between downtown and the airport, and ultimately as you mentioned, there would be zero benefit in time saved.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

I-39

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 05, 2021, 04:48:22 PM

As I understand it, when a US 2 bypass was considered the rail yard ROW south of Belknap was where it was studied. But then you run into that same problem of where it could turn back to the east, as what commercial growth has happened in Superior has fanned out along Tower Avenue between downtown and the airport, and ultimately as you mentioned, there would be zero benefit in time saved.

I just don't see the need for a freeway along US 53 in Superior. What are the ADT counts in the area anyway?

Don't get me wrong, I think US 53 is an important corridor, but probably not enough to justify converting the entire stretch between Rice Lake and I-535 a freeway.

Then again, I do remember reading somewhere once that the corridor was proposed to be added to the Interstate system, but was turned down. Did anyone else read that?

Big John

Quote from: I-39 on November 05, 2021, 10:28:43 PM

I just don't see the need for a freeway along US 53 in Superior. What are the ADT counts in the area anyway?

Around 19,000  https://wisdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2e12a4f051de4ea9bc865ec6393731f8

I-39

Quote from: Big John on November 05, 2021, 10:48:13 PM
Quote from: I-39 on November 05, 2021, 10:28:43 PM

Around 19,000  https://wisdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2e12a4f051de4ea9bc865ec6393731f8

So steadily busy, but not nearly enough for a freeway. And man, those sections north of Rice Lake, woof. There's barely enough ADT for four lanes let alone a freeway.

hobsini2

I think the idea of a "freeway bypass" along the rail line as you propose is not a bad idea.  If Bong Airport wasn't sprawled out the way it is, you could cut on the southwest flank of the airport and tie it into the US 2/53 freeway at Hwy Z. But because of the airport, you would have to go around the west and south side of the Village of Superior to utilize the Hwy Z corridor.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

I-39

Quote from: hobsini2 on November 06, 2021, 01:58:34 PM

I think the idea of a "freeway bypass" along the rail line as you propose is not a bad idea.  If Bong Airport wasn't sprawled out the way it is, you could cut on the southwest flank of the airport and tie it into the US 2/53 freeway at Hwy Z. But because of the airport, you would have to go around the west and south side of the Village of Superior to utilize the Hwy Z corridor.

But why would this even be needed? Is US 53 such a high traffic corridor that a freeway connection is needed between I-535 and the US 53 expressway? No. The current road is not ideal, but fine for current traffic loads.

skluth

Quote from: I-39 on November 07, 2021, 09:23:48 PM

But why would this even be needed? Is US 53 such a high traffic corridor that a freeway connection is needed between I-535 and the US 53 expressway? No. The current road is not ideal, but fine for current traffic loads.
Going back to the original question from chrismarion100 of what are your thoughts on a US 53 freeway, I think it's been everyone's in agreement that there's no reason to build it even if there are questions on whether it could be built. I've yet to see anyone make an argument for an actual need to upgrade US 53 to a freeway north of Spooner to Duluth or a freeway through Superior itself.

I-39

Quote from: skluth on November 09, 2021, 12:28:13 AM

Going back to the original question from chrismarion100 of what are your thoughts on a US 53 freeway, I think it's been everyone's in agreement that there's no reason to build it even if there are questions on whether it could be built. I've yet to see anyone make an argument for an actual need to upgrade US 53 to a freeway north of Spooner to Duluth or a freeway through Superior itself.

Yep. They should eventually convert the section between Rice Lake and Spooner to full freeway, as the US 63 interchange in Spooner is a more logical terminus for the freeway than Rice Lake, but there are bigger priorities right now.

North of there is fine as it is.

dvferyance

Quote from: I-39 on November 09, 2021, 09:38:27 AM

Yep. They should eventually convert the section between Rice Lake and Spooner to full freeway, as the US 63 interchange in Spooner is a more logical terminus for the freeway than Rice Lake, but there are bigger priorities right now.

I would like to see an interchange at Hwy B that appears to be a very dangerous intersection. I beleive a Hwy 77 interchange has been discused.

skluth

Quote from: dvferyance on November 11, 2021, 07:40:56 PM
Quote from: I-39 on November 09, 2021, 09:38:27 AM

I would like to see an interchange at Hwy B that appears to be a very dangerous intersection. I beleive a Hwy 77 interchange has been discused.

It's good to see WisDOT is slowly upgrading the US 53 corridor. The future Trego interchange might be a good place to end the freeway as it's the US 53/63 split.

The Ghostbuster

I look forward to the completion and opening of Exit 171 (I assume that will be the number) at US 63 north in Trego next fall. I doubt there will many additional upgrades to the US 53 corridor anytime soon, but if the upgrades suggested in the US 53 Corridor Preservation Study (https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/nw/us53corridor/default.aspx) ever come to pass, I would support them.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: dvferyance on November 11, 2021, 07:40:56 PM

Didn't they convert that into a 'reduced conflicts' intersection? (aka "J-turns")

Weathernerd645

So now that the infrastructure bill is officially signed into law. What road projects do you guys think will be funded by this bill here in Wisconsin? Personally, I think that at least the East-West Freeway/Stadium Interchange, the Wisconsin River Bridges, and the I-41 Appleton expansion will all get at least some increased funding from this bill. For a new project in the state, I could see either a lane expansion on 94 between Madison and Milwaukee or 90/94 between Portage and Lyndon Station. And for a wild card prediction, I could see them at least attempt to do the Beltine in Madison. It's going to be super expensive, but now is the time WIDOT has the money, so it might be the time for redoing the Beltline.

triplemultiplex

Well with that flex lane about to open I think odds are long that the Beltline gets to be in on this pool of money.
We could very well get that desperately needed interchange out at US 12 and CTH K, though.

I imagine I-41 between Green Bay and Appleton and I-94 through the Stadium Interchange are exactly the kind of near-shovel ready projects that are most likely to capture some infrastructure dough.
The triplex over the Wisconsin River is already funded, if I'm not misremembering.

In an effort to keep it geographically fair, I wouldn't be surprised to see some money thrown at I-94 west of Elk Mound.  Obviously not enough to six lane the whole thing to Hudson, but enough to do something cool like the free-flow interchange at WI 29.
They'd get a lot of bang for their buck extending the six lanes of I-94 west to Oconomowoc.  Super easy upgrade with most structures ready to go now, complete with fresh surfaces from 2 years ago.
Six-laning 90/94 from Portage to the Dells Parkway would be another worthwhile, relatively easy and high visibility use of this cash.

on_wisconsin

Hopefully 6 lane/ upgrade US 53 around Eau Claire and replace the Interstate 94-Chippewa River bridges.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

The Ghostbuster

Does US 53 in Eau Claire really need to be 6 lanes? I could see them 6-laning Interstate 94, but not US 53.

I-39

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 19, 2021, 03:45:00 PM
Does US 53 in Eau Claire really need to be 6 lanes? I could see them 6-laning Interstate 94, but not US 53.

No, but I-94 needs to probably be six lanes from Eau Claire to the Mississippi River.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: I-39 on November 19, 2021, 10:50:59 PM
No, but I-94 needs to probably be six lanes from Eau Claire to the Mississippi St. Croix River.

As a local, Yes. Especially, 53 between I-94 and WIS 312. It also comes up somewhat frequently in area media as a question asked by the public. The state has plans to start the EIS process in/ around 2026'ish, IIRC. As well as any expansion done along the corridor could likely be billed as a shovel-ready project as the facility was designed with expansion in mind and would require minimal new ROW. Even the major bridges had piers built wider then was necessary to accommodate future growth.
WisDOT was forced to put these along the road as well in past few years: https://goo.gl/maps/qvwD7X7aASr2xQrf8
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

thspfc

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 20, 2021, 12:54:16 AM
No, but I-94 needs to probably be six lanes from Eau Claire to the Mississippi St. Croix River.
Well, he's not wrong. The only remaining four lane section between Eau Claire and the Mississippi is between Eau Claire and Hudson.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.