News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Defunct restaurant chains and retailers

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 05, 2016, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: GCrites80s on September 15, 2019, 01:10:43 PM
Schottenstein's/Value City also left discount retail for real estate. The Value City Furniture stores have remained active though.

When I moved to Danville, VA in 2011, I was told there used to be a Value City here at the Danville Plaza shopping center on US-58 Business (Riverside Drive). The space is now Dan River Church. The only other tenant left there is the Salvation Army. The empty space to the right of it was a Harris Teeter until it closed in 2010.

Given that the Dan River is literally right behind the shopping center, it's no mystery why the place is dead.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

GCrites

Wow, I didn't know Value City had locations that far from the Columbus HQ. I can't recall their footprint.

D-Dey65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 22, 2020, 04:54:07 PM
Slightly OT, where's that thread on defunct gas stations, and restaurants, and what not? Because I swear I spotted an OTB in Wikimedia Commons that looks like it used to be an old Howard Johnson's.

Okay, this is the thread I was looking for.

Is it just me or does this OTB in Louisiana look like an old Howard Johnsons?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:KennerLAFairGroundsOTB.JPG

briantroutman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 22, 2020, 11:31:54 PM
Okay, this is the thread I was looking for.

Is it just me or does this OTB in Louisiana look like an old Howard Johnsons?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:KennerLAFairGroundsOTB.JPG

Because of its orange-ish roof and cupola, it does have a bit of that look, but I'm pretty confident that it was never a Howard Johnson's.

Howard Johnson's restaurant layouts were quite standardized, either being the early colonial type, the '50s/'60s Nims type (by far what most people remember), the rare "Concept '65"  type, or the late mansard type. The OTB has some flavors of a few of Howard Johnson's different design eras, but it doesn't really fit into any of them.

The rather authoritative America's Landmark Howard Johnson's history website lists that Louisiana only had two standalone restaurants (i.e. not attached to a motor lodge), and both of those were in New Orleans.

D-Dey65

sbeaver44

Quote from: roadman65 on August 10, 2019, 12:24:51 AM
Not a chain, but definitely defunct.  For those of you who drove NY 17 through Orange County, NY probably remember the historic Red Apple Rest.
http://roadarch.com/05/5/rest3.jpg
There's a book about the Red Apple Rest in my Kindle queue.

roadman65

Stuckeys with their $1.99 breakfast!  They were still around here in Florida as late as 1994 in Sanford, Florida.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

briantroutman

Quote from: roadman65 on March 01, 2020, 11:14:07 PM
Stuckeys...  They were still around here in Florida as late as 1994

While the company is certainly well off its peak of 350+ locations in the late '60s, Stuckey's isn't defunct, having over 100 locations still in operation–several in Florida.

ftballfan

Quote from: briantroutman on March 01, 2020, 11:59:59 PM

While the company is certainly well off its peak of 350+ locations in the late '60s, Stuckey's isn't defunct, having over 100 locations still in operation–several in Florida.
Including a boat load along the I-75 corridor in southern Georgia

Rothman

There was one on US 13 north of the CBBT.

But I think the one in Breezewood is no longer.  It was part of a gas station.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US71

Quote from: briantroutman on March 01, 2020, 11:59:59 PM

A lot seem to be sharing space with DQ's.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dlsterner

Quote from: Rothman on March 02, 2020, 06:05:20 PM
There was one on US 13 north of the CBBT.

But I think the one in Breezewood is no longer.  It was part of a gas station.

The one on US 13 is still there (near Mappsville VA).  Usually stop there when I travel that way; as recently as a few months ago.

It's for old time's sake.  When a kid in the early 1970's on family vacations we always stopped at Stuckey's since back then it was usually the only restaurant right at the interstate, and Dad didn't want to wander more than a quarter mile or so from the interstate.  Plus since they all were similar, we knew what we were getting.

cwf1701

Quote from: GCrites80s on September 16, 2019, 09:20:13 PM
Wow, I didn't know Value City had locations that far from the Columbus HQ. I can't recall their footprint.

Most of the Value City stores in Detroit was former Crowley's Dept. stores. Crowley's was a competitor to Hudsons in Detroit.

thenetwork

Quote from: cwf1701 on March 03, 2020, 01:07:40 PM
Quote from: GCrites80s on September 16, 2019, 09:20:13 PM

Most of the Value City stores in Detroit was former Crowley's Dept. stores. Crowley's was a competitor to Hudsons in Detroit.

Value City, especially in their later years when they were mostly clothing, are like what Ross Stores are today. 

And like Value City, I never shop at Ross because most of the product (at least at my local store) are styles and sizes I wouldnt wear, and the store itself is so messy, with boxed iteams and shoes picked thru and mismatched.

US71

Spe-Dee Mart c-stores (based in Johnson, AR). When the owner died, they were assimilated by EZ Mart. EZ Mart has been sold to GPM, but still retain the old name

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman65

Zayre I remember but where they were I cant recall.

Its odd them and Jamesway both went out almost together. Jamesway was NY area with warehouse and distribution in Cranbury, NJ seen from the NJ Turnpike.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

I recall there being at least one Zayre in Northern Virginia. I believe it was at the Eden Center near Seven Corners. There may have been another on Edsall Road where the Sullivan Place condos are now, just off I-395.

I recall the Jamesway chain roadman65 mentions (and the warehouse visible from the Turnpike). As I recall, their TV jingle went "At Jaaaameswaaaay, we care about YOU!" One of those ubiquitous annoying jingles you heard constantly.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

KEVIN_224

I want to say that Zayre was based in Rocky Hill, CT. They more or less were Ames later on. Ames was definitely based there! My mother once worked part time at an old Zayre store in Biddeford, ME (1985-86 or so).

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 04, 2020, 07:59:32 PM
I want to say that Zayre was based in Rocky Hill, CT. They more or less were Ames later on. Ames was definitely based there! My mother once worked part time at an old Zayre store in Biddeford, ME (1985-86 or so).

Ames bought Zayre's from TJX, the parent company of TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Home Goods.  Their headquarters, as it is today, was in Natick right off the Pike Exit 13 (future 117).  Most of the Zayre's locations did become Ames.  I know the one on Queen St in Southington did (which is now mostly Bob's Furniture and a portion of Bed Bath & Beyond), as did one on East Main St in Meriden (now a defunct Lowe's).  Pretty sure there was also one in Copaco Shopping Center in Bloomfield, because I remember having to go there to get my first real bike as a kid because Southington didn't have it in stock.

Ames' problem was they expanded too fast when they bought Hills.  I remember watching a postgame wrap up from the RCA Dome in Indy and seeing an Ames billboard behind the announcers.  I also went to one in Timonium, MD.  Little by little, they started closing from the nether regions in toward CT, and by 2002, they were gone.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

The Zayre closed in Hadley, MA.  It was at one end of a strip mall and Stop & Shop was at the other.  Stop & Shop turned Zayre's space into a Super Stop & Shop and Stop and Shop's old space became mostly a liquor store (Liquor 44).

catch22

Art Van Furniture, which started in Detroit with a single store in 1959 and eventually grew to 200 stores in Michigan and several other states, is shutting down operations. Liquidation sales begin March 6.

The original owner's family sold the company to an equity firm in 2017.  I guess they got out at the right time.

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/articles/news/art-van-going-out-business-liquidation-sales-to-start-friday

RobbieL2415

AFIAK there was never a Zayre in CT, only Ames.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: catch22 on March 05, 2020, 10:17:04 AM
Art Van Furniture, which started in Detroit with a single store in 1959 and eventually grew to 200 stores in Michigan and several other states, is shutting down operations. Liquidation sales begin March 6.

The original owner's family sold the company to an equity firm in 2017.  I guess they got out at the right time.

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/articles/news/art-van-going-out-business-liquidation-sales-to-start-friday
Apparently some Art Van stores will remain open.  I was expecting to see the Evansville, IN  store announce their closing, but the reports yesterday afternoon were that it would remain open.  It is supposedly one of a couple of dozen franchise stores.

roadman65

Speaking of defunct, I saw a Radio Shack still open in Southwest Florida.  Even though the parent corporation went under, private owned franchises still remain in few places.

Benningans did that one when the parent company of Steak & Ale and Benningans filed for bankruptcy had franchises issued, but the one in Lake Buena Vista, FL still closed a few years later.  Do not know if Benningan franchises are still around elsewhere as in Central Florida that was the only one that was after going under.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.