News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Live streaming of my location while I am on the road?

Started by Sonic99, June 18, 2013, 01:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic99

As per the other thread, I am driving from Arizona to Indiana and back next month. In the past, some friends have used the MotionX app for the iPhone and it has worked pretty well for them, but I have a Motorola Droid 4 and don't see any Android compatibility with MotionX. Does anyone know of any other apps that I could use to live-stream my location, and have my friends follow it online and see where I am?
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

hbelkins

Quote from: Sonic99 on June 18, 2013, 01:50:38 AM
As per the other thread, I am driving from Arizona to Indiana and back next month. In the past, some friends have used the MotionX app for the iPhone and it has worked pretty well for them, but I have a Motorola Droid 4 and don't see any Android compatibility with MotionX. Does anyone know of any other apps that I could use to live-stream my location, and have my friends follow it online and see where I am?

Aren't there some other apps that will also do this for the iPhone as well?

I will have to check into MotionX. Thanks for the tip.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Not too familiar with the apps for live tracking...though I know there are plenty that exist.  Several storm chasers I know will live-stream their chases, to include live-streaming video.

realjd

Google Latitude does exactly what you want.

djsinco

Quote from: realjd on June 19, 2013, 02:17:48 PM

Google Latitude does exactly what you want.
Not surpisingly, the Android app is free, the iPhone app is paid - and the Google app is rated more highly. Just remember to turn it off when you DON'T want everyone to know where you are! :nod:
3 million miles and counting

Compulov

I've seen a few people use the app Glympse: http://www.glympse.com/. It lets you blast your location out in real-time. I've never tried it myself, but I've watched a few people on cross-country trips using the web interface, and it seems pretty cool.

hbelkins

I'm not sure that MotionX does this. Looks like it might record GPS tracks for uploading later, like EveryTrail does, but I don't know that it would stream your location as you travel. That's something I'd like to find for some of my travels.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.