Started by bandit957, April 11, 2018, 11:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: SectorZ on April 19, 2018, 10:58:05 AM
Quote from: Henry on April 19, 2018, 09:42:02 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 18, 2018, 09:07:02 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on April 18, 2018, 07:24:54 PM
Not radio, but...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/walmart-refuses-to-carry-strypers-new-album-god-damn-evil/

Amazing that they're too stupid to realize the difference between "God Damn" and "Goddamn", which mean 2 totally different things. So embarrassed that I ever worked for them...

That reminds me of another radio edit I once heard:  The line in "Uncle John's Band" by The Grateful Dead that says "God damn, well I declare" being cut to an overdubbed instrumental snippet to a sudden cut-in to "Well I declare".
What is the difference? To me, they're both the same, like "dammit" and "damn it", with the former basically being a shortened version of the latter (with no space in between).

Envision a comma after 'God', though the comma existing or not means the same thing. It's also what Michael Sweet of Stryper tried to explain to people. Stryper is a Christian Metal band.

They're still around? They had a niche back in the 80s, but weren't exactly one of the great hair bands, Christian message or no Christian message. Having said that, I have a vinyl copy of "To Hell With The Devil" stashed away somewhere.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on April 13, 2018, 10:57:18 AM
As a kid, I wore out a vinyl version of Johnny Cash's live San Quentin album. The album was full of bleeps. I can understand bleeping the single version of "A Boy Named Sue," but I never really understood why between-song banter was bleeped, since that was never going to get airplay. I wonder if an unbleeped version of that album was ever released?

I've never heard an uncensored version of A Boy Named Sue, so probably not. And that's a lengthy censoring, too.

SectorZ

Quote from: hbelkins on April 20, 2018, 12:16:10 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on April 19, 2018, 10:58:05 AM
Quote from: Henry on April 19, 2018, 09:42:02 AM
Not radio, but...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/walmart-refuses-to-carry-strypers-new-album-god-damn-evil/

Amazing that they're too stupid to realize the difference between "God Damn" and "Goddamn", which mean 2 totally different things. So embarrassed that I ever worked for them...

That reminds me of another radio edit I once heard:  The line in "Uncle John's Band" by The Grateful Dead that says "God damn, well I declare" being cut to an overdubbed instrumental snippet to a sudden cut-in to "Well I declare".
What is the difference? To me, they're both the same, like "dammit" and "damn it", with the former basically being a shortened version of the latter (with no space in between).

Envision a comma after 'God', though the comma existing or not means the same thing. It's also what Michael Sweet of Stryper tried to explain to people. Stryper is a Christian Metal band.

They're still around? They had a niche back in the 80s, but weren't exactly one of the great hair bands, Christian message or no Christian message. Having said that, I have a vinyl copy of "To Hell With The Devil" stashed away somewhere.

Yup, still around. They've consistently come out with albums over the past 15 years or so. They're more of a standard heavy metal as opposed to hair metal, but that's standard M.O. for most of those bands still making music.

ftballfan

WTCM (103.5 Traverse City, MI) has always played "Toes" by Zac Brown Band uncensored. Almost all other stations I've heard that song on plays the censored version.

abefroman329

Quote from: ftballfan on April 21, 2018, 08:38:12 PM
WTCM (103.5 Traverse City, MI) has always played "Toes" by Zac Brown Band uncensored. Almost all other stations I've heard that song on plays the censored version.

Is that the "toes in the water, ass in the sand" song?  Censoring of "ass" is so inconsistent.

ftballfan

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 22, 2018, 01:31:12 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on April 21, 2018, 08:38:12 PM

Is that the "toes in the water, ass in the sand" song?  Censoring of "ass" is so inconsistent.
Yes it is.

abefroman329

I used to think there were two different versions of Need You Now, one where the two singers are "a little drunk" and one where they're "all alone," but apparently the male singer is "a little drunk" and the female singer is "all alone."  Because God forbid a woman in country music land do something so gauche as getting a little drunk.

Last Saturday I heard Sirius (17 IIRC) play Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" (2004) uncensored, leaving the "what's f***ed up" line in the second verse without bleeping or replacement.  My mom, who is a bit of a prude in terms of lyrical content in music, likes the song and didn't notice or object either.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

renegade

Quote from: 20160805 on April 28, 2018, 12:00:00 PMLast Saturday I heard Sirius (17 IIRC) play Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" (2004) uncensored, leaving the "what's f***ed up" line in the second verse without bleeping or replacement.  My mom, who is a bit of a prude in terms of lyrical content in music, likes the song and didn't notice or object either.
That's because SiriusXM plays uncensored music.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Mr. Matté

Not radio, but...

This ain't swearing. The first word there is "God," how could that be a swear, the most popular word in the Bible? The second word, "damn" they use it all the time like they "damn a river to keep it from flooding." And even in the Bible, some guy is damned for cheating, or stealing, or committing insects in the family. And who damned him? God! God damned him! Beautiful words right out of the holy book, they shouldn't show their ignorance!

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

SectorZ

Quote from: renegade on April 28, 2018, 12:25:43 PM
Quote from: 20160805 on April 28, 2018, 12:00:00 PMLast Saturday I heard Sirius (17 IIRC) play Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" (2004) uncensored, leaving the "what's f***ed up" line in the second verse without bleeping or replacement.  My mom, who is a bit of a prude in terms of lyrical content in music, likes the song and didn't notice or object either.
That's because SiriusXM plays uncensored music.

Liquid Metal (and other stations) even have 'XL' at the beginning of the name because they have more explicit content compared to the others. In the case of Liquid Metal, it's barely due to the music but more to a single DJ.

Throckmorton

You know, I have the CD with the Folsom show and the San Quentin show and I haven't listened to it lately but I'm sure A Boy named Sue is not censored. Nor is any other part.   

I recall at least one local station used to bleep, "Christ," from the Ballad of John and Yoko.   

I also recall an MOR station here that would play an instrumental  cover of Lay Lady Lay and simply refer to it as, "a song written by Bob Dylan." No shit.   

Proceed with caution

OracleUsr

Then there's the radio mix of "Sitting at a Bar" by Rehab.  I was a bit taken aback when I heard that the lyrics didn't go like this:

She broke my heart in the trailer park
So I jacked the keys to her father's car
Crashed that Chevrolet and stepped away

Actually is like this:

She broke my heart in the trailer park
So I jacked the keys to her ()#*%)(ing car
Crashed that piece of #)%* and stepped away

But it makes a heck of a lot more sense.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

abefroman329

Quote from: Mr. Matté on April 28, 2018, 09:56:34 PM
Not radio, but...

This ain't swearing. The first word there is "God," how could that be a swear, the most popular word in the Bible? The second word, "damn" they use it all the time like they "damn a river to keep it from flooding." And even in the Bible, some guy is damned for cheating, or stealing, or committing insects in the family. And who damned him? God! God damned him! Beautiful words right out of the holy book, they shouldn't show their ignorance!

I knew some Christians that would respond to "goddamn" with "God doesn't need a damn," which makes no sense to me.

KEVIN_224

Then on the national level, we had Casey Kasem nearly always refusing to say the title of a certain #2 hit of George Michael from the summer of 1987. Yes, I'm referring to "I Want Your Sex" from the Beverly Hills Cop 2 soundtrack. Thank goodness George's song wasn't confused with his duet with Aretha Franklin from earlier that year!  :-o

abefroman329

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 30, 2018, 09:59:22 AM
Then on the national level, we had Casey Kasem nearly always refusing to say the title of a certain #2 hit of George Michael from the summer of 1987. Yes, I'm referring to "I Want Your Sex" from the Beverly Hills Cop 2 soundtrack. Thank goodness George's song wasn't confused with his duet with Aretha Franklin from earlier that year!  :-o

That's oddly prudish, if you've heard his meltdown over being expected to transition from an upbeat song to a story about a dog dying.

KEVIN_224

Oh yes! I've DEFINITELY heard the melt down! It's really quite f-----g ponderous, if you've heard a different other outtake!  ;-)

abefroman329

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 30, 2018, 11:57:40 AM
Oh yes! I've DEFINITELY heard the melt down! It's really quite f-----g ponderous, if you've heard a different other outtake!  ;-)

What, the Troggs outtakes?  I haven't heard that one and I'm only aware of one Casey Kasem meltdown.

SectorZ

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 30, 2018, 10:08:10 AM

That's oddly prudish, if you've heard his meltdown over being expected to transition from an upbeat song to a story about a dog dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV7WF5VVwuo

Holy crap I've never heard this until today. Obviously NSFW (audio only).

abefroman329

Quote from: SectorZ on April 30, 2018, 03:53:27 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on April 30, 2018, 10:08:10 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV7WF5VVwuo

Holy crap I've never heard this until today. Obviously NSFW (audio only).

It's spectacular.  And I'd heard a censored version on the radio for years before finding the uncensored version on YouTube.  Then I had my mind blown for the second time.

jp the roadgeek

This one by Bill O'Reilly takes the cake:

And there's this Berman chestnut:

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

abefroman329

There's also one of Howard Cosell that's isn't profane, but it's hilarious because it's Howard Cosell yelling I'VE GOT A TRAIN TO CATCH! in Howard Cosell voice.

Speaking of Berman, I was so disappointed when I learned the "you're with me, leather" story was an urban legend.

Desert Man

In 2018, radio stations freely play "born this way" by Lady Gaga, the unofficial song of the LGBT community. Her music vid. shown her aroused by giving birth (she performed in NYC fetish clubs as well LGBT bars before being discovered). Compared to 1991, radio stations were uncomfortable with "black or white" by Michael Jackson, due to lyrics about race relations, hatred and bias, and socio-political commentary about American society.

We became a more open-minded society, I mean go back to the 1950s when the word "pregnant" wasn't allowed on national TV on CBS: I Love Lucy when Lucille Ball visibly was, but in the 1970s, CBS again cautiously aired All in the Family poked fun of bigotry by Archie Bunker's uneducated racism, sexism, anti-semitism, hatred of Catholics (also he didn't like Italians and Poles), trans- and homophobia, and prejudice about the poor.   
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

bing101

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/03/entertainment/kanye-radio-boycott-begins-trnd/index.html

Update now a Detroit radio station is going after Kanye West over a rant he made on TMZ.

"We are over it. We don't want to hear Kanye's music, we don't want to play Kanye on our show, we don't want to talk about Kanye anymore," they said. "So we are taking a stand and we aren't playing his music anymore; we just are refusing to give him a platform."
The hosts said their decision followed West's controversial statements about slavery, adding the hashtag #MuteKanye.

On Tuesday, West appeared at TMZ's headquarters, where he said: "When you hear about slavery for 400 years ... For 400 years? That sounds like a choice."

During the Thursday morning radio show, Shay Shay also called West "reckless" for saying icons like Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X are "too far in the past and not relatable."
The Detroit hip-hop station is not alone.
On Wednesday, New York City radio host Ebro Darden appeared on CNN Tonight with Don Lemon to discuss West's comments, where Lemon said the rapper "doesn't know history."
The next morning, Hot 97, where Darden's show airs, "'The Kanye boycott has begun.'"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.