News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: PiedmontHwys on August 30, 2019, 01:55:57 PM
Quote from: LM117 on August 30, 2019, 09:59:05 AM
NCDOT has awarded a contract to make improvements to I-40 between the Sampson/Duplin county line and the US-117 interchange in Pender County. Completion expected by June 2022.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-08-30-duplin-pender-interstate-contract-awarded.aspx

The question is: will they replace the I-40 roadway pavement with concrete, or just put in new asphalt? Just curious.
Most likely just a typical repaving using asphalt, similar to other rehabilitation projects that have occurred on I-40 and other interstates & freeways around the state.

sprjus4

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on August 30, 2019, 04:01:10 PM
Quote from: PiedmontHwys on August 30, 2019, 01:55:57 PM
Quote from: LM117 on August 30, 2019, 09:59:05 AM
NCDOT has awarded a contract to make improvements to I-40 between the Sampson/Duplin county line and the US-117 interchange in Pender County. Completion expected by June 2022.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-08-30-duplin-pender-interstate-contract-awarded.aspx

The question is: will they replace the I-40 roadway pavement with concrete, or just put in new asphalt? Just curious.
Concrete is better and more fun to drive on. Asphalt is also good, but it wears off quicker because it's cheaper.
Judging by the price tag, it's most likely asphalt.

RoadPelican

I have noticed that my car handles a lot better driving on concrete pavement in the rain and I can go a lot faster than when I drive on Asphalt in the rain.  I have come to this conclusion as a daily commuter who drives the Greensboro Urban Loop from PTI Airport to Wendover Ave.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

The Ghostbuster

Will the new SR-11 freeway have exit numbers? If not, I think they should be added at some point.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on September 03, 2019, 08:08:50 AM
The Greenville Southwest Bypass is currently planned to open in November.

http://www.reflector.com/News/2019/09/03/Bypass-on-track-for-November-opening.html
A few other interesting things mentioned in the article...

- Speed limit will be posted at 70 mph.
- The freeway will have 20,000 AADT by 2020, and 34,000 AADT by 2040.
- A significant amount of traffic would be taken off of NC-11 and routed onto the bypass.
- Work begins in September 2020 to upgrade US-264 to interstate standards between Wilson and Greenville for the Interstate 587 designation.

QuoteThe interstate-quality highway will feature a speed limit of 70 mph.
QuoteThousands of vehicles a day are expected to utilize the bypass, relieving N.C. 11 of much of its congestion. According to 2014 estimates, up to 20,000 vehicles per day will use the new road. That number is expected to increase to 34,000 vehicles per day by 2040.

"So, yes, we do expect that traffic to be pulled off of N.C. 11-Memorial Drive, and that would reduce the amount of traffic going through Greenville itself," Lentine said.
QuoteNext year, DOT also is scheduled to begin work to bring U.S. 264 from Pitt to Wilson counties up to interstate standards as part of a project to establish the new I-587. That work is to begin in September 2020.

Interstate 587 will overlay the U.S. 264 freeway to its merger with U.S. 64 (Future I-87) at Zebulon.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-04-i-95-work-needed-ahead-dorian.aspx

QuoteKENLY — In preparation for Hurricane Dorian, an N.C. Department of Transportation contractor needs to do additional work tonight on a mile-long stretch of I-95 in Johnston County.

"We believe it's imperative in order to ensure the safety of the traveling public to do this work now ahead of any potential heavy rains that Dorian may bring,"  NCDOT's Division 4 Engineer Ronnie Keeter said.

The contractor plans to close one southbound lane between mile markers 106 and 107 from 8 tonight until about 2 a.m. Thursday.

Then, the contractor will reopen both southbound lanes and close one northbound lane in the same vicinity from 2 a.m. until 6 a.m., Thursday, when traffic on the interstate is expected to be at its lowest.

Ongoing median construction in this stretch of highway needs to be filled in before any potential flooding.

Keeter said transportation officials will be monitoring the work and will make any adjustments to the work or traffic, if any issue arises.

LM117

LM117

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: LM117 on September 05, 2019, 04:41:39 PM
The NC Board of Transportation has approved the 2020-2029 STIP.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-08-09-stip-plan-2020.aspx

Interesting to see NC-268 getting bumped up to four lanes in Wilkes County....that's a very rural section of the county. Maybe a future I-x77 spur?
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

tolbs17

In Greenville, Dollar General is relocating to the former Rite Aid building. Does that mean that the whole harris teeter shopping center is going to be demolished? I would love for that to happen and see what that shopping center can be.

NE2

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 05, 2019, 05:23:53 PM
In Greenville, Dollar General is relocating to the former Rite Aid building. Does that mean that the whole harris teeter shopping center is going to be demolished? I would love for that to happen and see what that shopping center can be.
Who cares?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

tolbs17

Quote from: NE2 on September 05, 2019, 07:26:09 PM
Who cares?
Is that better to go on like City-Data or something?

NE2

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 05, 2019, 07:46:30 PM
Quote from: NE2 on September 05, 2019, 07:26:09 PM
Who cares?
Is that better to go on like City-Data or something?
You can visit the old folks' home and talk with them about it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sprjus4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6eCqE_drUI

Flyover of the entire Asheboro Bypass as of 8/22/19.

The project is still well under construction, though is expected to be completed by Spring 2020.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 06, 2019, 12:03:10 PM
The project is still well under construction, though is expected to be completed by Spring 2020.
So the southwest bypass and that was delayed to 2020. jesus that sucks man

sprjus4

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 06, 2019, 12:10:51 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on September 06, 2019, 12:03:10 PM
So the southwest bypass and that was delayed to 2020. jesus that sucks man
The Asheboro Bypass has always been projected to be completed in 2020...

bob7374

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on September 10, 2019, 11:46:37 AM
NCDOT press release about upcoming I-95 widening north of Fayetteville:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-10-major-overhaul-awaits-i-95.aspx

Looks like they're gonna build a ramp from I-95 North to I-295 South. I guess that would easily explain why FHWA went ahead and made I-295 official.

roadman65

https://www.nc-eminent-domain.com/latest-projects/4012-2/
They are basically doing almost what I thought they should do.  I always thought of making Exits 72 and 73 one long diamond, but they are keeping the current diamond at Exit 73 but making the NB Pope Road on ramp and SB I-95 off ramp to Pope Road through the US 421 diamond interchange.

Interesting.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tolbs17

How about make all of I-95 8 lanes since it's the busiest interstate on the east stretch of America. Or south of 264 make it all 8 and north of it all 6. But I'm sure that won't all be done until like 2030 or something.

roadman65

Money is the issue.  Yes I-95 should be widened all the way from Georgia to Virginia but it is that factor.   This project is only being done due to grants, so the I-95 Business to I-40 widening is covered in that aspect as well as upgrades to US 70 for Future I-42.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-11-deep-gap-interchange.aspx

Quote​DEEP GAP — A major interchange in the High Country is opening today with traffic taking a new route at the intersection of U.S. 221 and U.S. 421 near the Watauga and Ashe county line.

N.C. Department of Transportation officials are opening the interchange, which is part of a $46 million project to build the interchange, improve and widen U.S. 221 from Deep Gap to just north of the South Fork New River.

"Today is a big day because the interchange is a very important part of accomplishing the safety component of the purpose and need of the project – to improve safety and mobility,"  Division 11 Construction Engineer Trent Beaver said. "The interchange eliminates a traffic signal and separates traffic in an area that is very prone to foggy conditions."

Traffic heading from Boone to West Jefferson will exit U.S. 421 and drive on a bridge over U.S 421 to join U.S. 221. Traffic driving from Wilkesboro to West Jefferson will take a new off-ramp from U.S. 421 to U.S. 221.

Drivers heading from West Jefferson to Wilkesboro will use separate lanes of the new bridge to join U.S. 421 South. The only remaining movement – from West Jefferson to Boone – will remain in its existing pattern until that ramp is complete later this year.

"This interchange has been a priority from the conception of the project,"  Beaver said. "We are pleased to see it open today."

sprjus4

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 11, 2019, 07:11:05 AM
How about make all of I-95 8 lanes since it's the busiest interstate on the east stretch of America. Or south of 264 make it all 8 and north of it all 6. But I'm sure that won't all be done until like 2030 or something.
The ultimate goal is 8-lanes between I-40 and I-74, and 6-lanes everywhere else, at least in North Carolina.

This widening project coming up on I-95 would be the first time any part of I-95 in North Carolina has been expanded. This is due to the fact that NCDOT in the past has put major focus on the I-85 corridor, which is now at least 6-lanes, and 8-lanes in a lot of areas, between Durham and west of Charlotte. In addition, the proposed 6-lane widening of I-40 between Chapel Hill and I-85, along with the under construction 8-lane widening between I-87 and US-70 Bypass would create roughly 210 miles of 6 to 8 lane interstate highway between south of Raleigh and west of Charlotte.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.