News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Widest section of freeway in your area

Started by Buffaboy, July 20, 2018, 12:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffaboy

I did a search on this but didn't come up with anything similar to this.

Where I am in the Buffalo area, the widest point would be I-90 at NY 400, where the eastbound I-90 bridge has 5 lanes and the westbound I-90 bridge has 4 lanes including 1 exit lane.

This is tied with I-90 at Cleveland Dr. where traffic between NY 33 and I-290 weaves with I-90 in a section between the Cleveland Drive offramp merge and the Cleveland Drive onramp.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Bruce

Interstate 5 caps out at 13 lanes just north of downtown Seattle: 5 southbound lanes (including the exit lane for Mercer Street), 4 reversible express lanes, and 4 northbound lanes.

I-5 from Lakeview Boulevard by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Beltway

Richmond, VA -- VA-76 Powhite Parkway, including the James River bridge, 2 miles between Downtown Expressway and Forest Hill Avenue.  Five lanes each way.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

gonealookin

There are a couple spots between the Reno airport and I-80 where northbound I-580/US 395 bloats up to 7 lanes.  Southbound has 4 through lanes in that area and sometimes an exit-only lane.  I'm not sure it ever gets up to 12 lanes; it might max out at either 7 + 4 or 6 + 5.

wanderer2575

The northbound Lodge Freeway (M-10) opens up to six lanes for a one-mile stretch in Southfield.

https://goo.gl/maps/hnCmyaAvBYQ2

bing101

10 lanes wide on I-80 in Fairfield, CA because of Traffic from San Francisco and Sacramento.

12 lanes I-80 in Roseville, CA.

US 89

The widest freeway in Utah is I-15/80 in Salt Lake City, just north of the Spaghetti Bowl. At the 1700 South bridge, in each direction there are 4 general lanes, 1 HOV lane, and 4 C/D lanes for a total of 18 lanes.

The segment just north of there (between 600 South and 1300 South) has 7 lanes in each direction (6 general, 1 HOV) for a total of 14.

I-15 is 13 lanes just south of the south 15/215 interchange, and 12 lanes between I-215 and 2600 South in Bountiful. It also maintains 12 lanes through the Point of the Mountain.

Hurricane Rex

Portland is I-5 just south of OR 217 at 10 lanes (5 each way). I do not count exit ramps.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jp the roadgeek

For me, it would be I-84 in East Hartford CT between CT 15 and I-384.  10 lanes (5 each way), plus an HOV lane in each direction.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

Near me, I-76 gets to be 11 lanes wide twice: 6 Lanes West and 5 East, and then 6 Lanes East and 5 West. It's never 6x6 though.

If I count where I-295 and I-76/NJ 42 lay next to each other, it's 13 lanes wide there currently (295N: 3 Lanes; 76W/42N, 4 lanes, 76E/42S, 4 lanes, 295S, 2 lanes).

ibagli

In the Columbus area I think it would have to be I-270 through the OH-161/Morse/Easton exits. I think it's 15 lanes (including exit lanes) at one spot.

slorydn1

In my immediate area, US-17/US-70 over the twin spans is 3 lanes in each direction until the freeway portion ends at Exit 417.

In my half of the state, I-40 has areas of 4 lanes in each direction up in Raleigh (in a few places there is a 5th lane for short distances between certain exits).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

froggie

QuoteWidest section of freeway in your area

😄😅😂🤣

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

inkyatari

Interstate 80 in Illinois from Brisbin Rd. to Minooka.  Two lane, but with extra wide shoulders, especially over Aux Sable creek. I think the area was widened because they were planning for a third lane through the area.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

jon daly

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 20, 2018, 04:00:02 AM
For me, it would be I-84 in East Hartford CT between CT 15 and I-384.  10 lanes (5 each way), plus an HOV lane in each direction.

I live in Mystic and work in East Providence. This would be the widest freeway section in my area if this is considered my area.  If not, it's probably the Gold Star Bridge or the stretch of I 95 between RI 4 and I 295.

PHLBOS

In my area (Philadelphia), it's probably I-95 between I-676 and Columbus Blvd./Exit 20 (aka the Bathtub section): eight mainline lanes with two long parallel ramps (one along each side).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Eth

I-75 reaches 16 lanes in two places:

• Very briefly just south of the I-85 merge north of 14th Street: 7 lanes northbound (including 1 HOV) and 9 southbound (including 2 HOV). That's not including the four former southbound lanes no longer in use that now form the median.
  • Just north of Windy Hill Rd (exit 260) in Cobb County: 9 lanes northbound and 7 southbound. That's not including the currently under construction express lanes (not yet shown in this satellite imagery).

adwerkema

In Grand Rapids area, US 131 expands to 11 lanes at the M-6 interchange. 5 northbound lanes, 4 southbound, and an enter/exit lane on each side.

wxfree

In Dallas, I-35E has 13 lanes, all GP lanes, including an exit-only lane to the Dallas North Tollway.  It has 14 if you count an entrance lane that immediately merges into that exit-only lane.

I-635 has 17 lanes east and west of the Dallas North Tollway, including managed and exit-only lanes.

In my interpretation of the topic, I count exit lanes because they're part of the width of the freeway in that section.  The topic is the widest section, not the section with the most through lanes, some of which will disappear later, leading to the question of what qualifies as a through lane.  I wouldn't count an immediate merge or an exit that diverges from a through lane, because that would be width at a single point, not along a section.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

roadman

Widest freeway in the Boston area - I-95 (MA 128) at US3/Middlesex Turnpike (Exits 32A-B) in Burlington.  11 lanes total - 4 northbound, 4 southbound, one on northbound C/D road, two on southbound C/D road.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vdeane

For the Capital District, it would be a tie between all the 4:4 sections of freeways.  Nearest one to me is I-87 between NY 155 and NY 2/NY 7 (exits 5-6).  For Rochester, it would be the 5:4 section of I-490 between I-590/NY 590 and Penfield Road (exits 21-22).  And back when I still lived in Rome, it was the 3:3 section of NY 49 between NY 233 and the end of the NY 365 overlap!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: Buffaboy on July 20, 2018, 12:01:07 AM
Where I am in the Buffalo area, the widest point would be I-90 at NY 400, where the eastbound I-90 bridge has 5 lanes and the westbound I-90 bridge has 4 lanes including 1 exit lane.
This is tied with I-90 at Cleveland Dr. where traffic between NY 33 and I-290 weaves with I-90 in a section between the Cleveland Drive offramp merge and the Cleveland Drive onramp.

Man, I hate to post a Buffalo example that outdoes those two, but I-290 has ten lanes between US 62 (Exit 3) and I-990 (Exit 4). I remembered being impressed with how wide it was, as a kid. But I don't know, maybe that doesn't qualify as "in your area".  :D

In the Rochester area... yep, vdeane just beat me to it:
Quote from: vdeane on July 20, 2018, 12:49:58 PM
it would be the 5:4 section of I-490 between I-590/NY 590 and Penfield Road (exits 21-22).
I-390 at Lyell Ave will also have nine lanes after current construction is complete.
And I'm not sure if this section of I-490 counts as having nine. It looks like it does for several hundred feet - five westbound and four eastbound.

jemacedo9

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 20, 2018, 10:01:20 AM
In my area (Philadelphia), it's probably I-95 between I-676 and Columbus Blvd./Exit 20 (aka the Bathtub section): eight mainline lanes with two long parallel ramps (one along each side).

There is a short section of I-95 by the PHL Airport with a 4:3:3:4 configuration (4 in the C-D lanes, 3 in the regular lanes)

Beltway

Quote from: jemacedo9 on July 20, 2018, 01:01:48 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 20, 2018, 10:01:20 AM
There is a short section of I-95 by the PHL Airport with a 4:3:3:4 configuration (4 in the C-D lanes, 3 in the regular lanes)

If you want to include ramps and C-D roadways --

The I-95 (later I-395) Mixing Bowl Interchange Complex near the Pentagon was rebuilt from 1970 to 1973, as part of the reconstruction of VA-350 Shirley Highway.  The original Shirley Highway was a four-lane freeway.  The Mixing Bowl interchange is where the VA-27 freeway (Washington Blvd.) merges with Shirley Highway and then branches off again.  The original interchange had a merge section each way, about 1/3 mile long, with a third "mixing lane" where the vehicles would weave when they wanted to change to the other freeway.  The rebuilt interchange has the same conceptual movements, but the weaves take place on grade-separated semi-directional ramps.  One cross-section point has 27 lanes on three levels and 10 separate roadways.  Eliminating non-freeway parts of the cross-section, the facility is 18 lanes wide.

Mixing Bowl Interchange Complex --
http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Mixing_Bowl.html
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.