News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Least favorite sport?

Started by Roadgeekteen, July 01, 2017, 10:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your least favorite sport?

Basketball
2 (8.3%)
Basball
1 (4.2%)
Football
1 (4.2%)
Soccer (or "football")
5 (20.8%)
Ice hockey
1 (4.2%)
Lacross
2 (8.3%)
Boxing/wresling
8 (33.3%)
Other
4 (16.7%)
Tennis
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

What are wresling, basball, and lacross? My least favorite sport is Calvinball. I always lose.

Max Rockatansky

Probably MMA, I don't really care for it over traditional boxing and the crowd it attracts really isn't for me.  Really it wouldn't so bad if there wasn't such a huge push to put it into mainstream sports territory.

Big John

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on July 01, 2017, 11:10:34 PM
What are wresling, basball, and lacross? My least favorite sport is Calvinball. I always lose.
You know I suck at spelling.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CNGL-Leudimin

Tennis.

I don't hate association football, only those overrepresented teams.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

7/8

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 01, 2017, 11:29:17 PM

If you tried googling any of those three sports, Google would have told you the correct spelling.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 7/8 on July 02, 2017, 07:57:38 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 01, 2017, 11:29:17 PM

If you tried googling any of those three sports, Google would have told you the correct spelling.

Microsoft Word is very user friendly, even Wikipedia tends to twist misspellings back into correct form.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 02, 2017, 08:00:40 AM
Wikipedia tends to twist misspellings back into correct form.

Wikipedia does not correct misspellings in the edit box unless your computer uses autocorrect (in which case, it's the computer, not Wikipedia). Common misspellings (which these aren't) will be fixed by an automated tool, but only after hitting the save button.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

vdeane

If you search for an article, Wikipedia will give out suggestions just like Google, even for "basball".  It's worth noting, though, that aside from "lacross", the misspellings here are also mispronunciations ("bass ball" instead of "base ball", for instance).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on July 02, 2017, 10:56:19 AM
If you search for an article, Wikipedia will give out suggestions just like Google, even for "basball".  It's worth noting, though, that aside from "lacross", the misspellings here are also mispronunciations ("bass ball" instead of "base ball", for instance).

He spelled it "basball," which–if it weren't obvious he can't spell and is proud of his ignorance–would make me figure he was going for some kind of French reference such that it has something to do with a ball being at the bottom of something (similar to how, if you go to Mont-Tremblant to ski, you'll find slope names with "Haut" or "Bas" on the end, such as "Ryan Haut" and "Ryan Bas" to denote the upper and lower portions of the Ryan run).

"Bass ball" would not necessarily be a mispronunciation, though, if you interpret "bass" as a reference to John Entwistle's instrument rather than to a fish or a brand of beer.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tribar

Soccer, wrestling, boxing, NASCAR, and golf.

epzik8

I selected basketball only cause I was thinking big four.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

DandyDan

I selected boxing/wrestling (which shouldn't have been combined like they were, because boxing is real and wrestling isn't, unless you are talking about the Olympic version) and while I am not a fan of the fighting sports, I really should have gone with NASCAR. I can turn left like they do.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Darkchylde

Golf. Much too sedate for my tastes.

Out of the major four, men's basketball. The college scene is a joke with all the one-and-done players, and the NBA is boring because of being the Warriors and Cavs show year after year after year. Women's basketball isn't as terrible, but there's never any games on over-the-air where I'm at.

dvferyance

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 01, 2017, 10:54:56 PM
Soccer.
I will just say outdoor soccer. I do enjoy watching indoor soccer but outdoor is as boring as it gets. You sit there for hours just to see one goal scored.

Brandon

Quote from: dvferyance on July 14, 2017, 02:39:11 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 01, 2017, 10:54:56 PM
Soccer.

I will just say outdoor soccer. I do enjoy watching indoor soccer but outdoor is as boring as it gets. You sit there for hours just to see one goal scored.

Don't mind hours for a goal to be scored, but soccer is so damn slow action and strategy-wise.  There's too many men on the field, and like basketball, too many dives to get a foul.  Are they afraid of getting hit?  Now hockey on the other hand...  It's the only sport that'll get my juices going, especially if I care about one of the teams playing (shoot, I almost got out of my seat while watching "Miracle" in the theater to yell at the ref before I remembered where I was).  I can watch teams I don't care about and still enjoy it, even if it's 0-0 going into the third overtime during the playoffs.  They get hit, get up, and skate back for the puck.

For me, the least favorite sports would have to be boxing/wresting, tennis, and soccer.  Football and basketball don't thrill me much either.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

I-39

It's not my least favorite sport (I like it fairly well), but basketball is becoming my least favorite sport to watch. The game is getting so bad these days. No competition, few skills, players colluding to play together, no good young stars, NBA has become all about $$$ (even more so than other leagues), college basketball has the stupid one and done rule so there is little consistency with college teams, and on and on it goes.

Big John

Quote from: I-39 on July 14, 2017, 09:13:50 PM
college basketball has the stupid one and done rule so there is little consistency with college teams, and on and on it goes.
That is a result of the NBA rule that one has to be 1 year removed from high school to be eligible.

I-39

Quote from: Big John on July 14, 2017, 09:29:58 PM
college basketball has the stupid one and done rule so there is little consistency with college teams, and on and on it goes.
That is a result of the NBA rule that one has to be 1 year removed from high school to be eligible.

You're right, that is what I meant. I am a firm believer the NBA should increase it to at least 2 (preferably 3).

Roadgeekteen

It's not my least favorite sport (I like it fairly well), but basketball is becoming my least favorite sport to watch. The game is getting so bad these days. No competition, few skills, players colluding to play together, no good young stars, NBA has become all about $$$ (even more so than other leagues), college basketball has the stupid one and done rule so there is little consistency with college teams, and on and on it goes.
i have never heard of the nba. Maybe you are talking about the clevgs leage.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 14, 2017, 10:22:25 PM
i have never heard of the nba. Maybe you are talking about the clevgs leage.

I miss the Celtkers days of the 1980's
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

02 Park Ave

Basketball, because the shot-clock has ruined the game.
C-o-H

Rothman

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 14, 2017, 11:06:20 PM
Huh?  You liked it when the offense could just play keep away without restraint once they got the lead?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2017, 12:32:19 AM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 14, 2017, 11:06:20 PM
Huh?  You liked it when the offense could just play keep away without restraint once they got the lead?

Which actually is exactly why the NBA adopted it in the mid-1950s.  I'd say there is more merit to controversy about the three point shot but it really changed the game from a Center dominated sport to a perimeter game. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.