News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 05, 2018, 01:12:05 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen... today is a very sad day for this forum... the craIG county sign is no more... Big Rig Steve has just passed past the location of the mythical sign, and it has been replaced:

RIP craIG county... it will be known from now on as Craig County OK (there's another Craig County in VA).

Glad I got it when I did.  BTW, the "y" still appears to be fucked.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US71

Ladies and Gentlemen... today is a very sad day for this forum... the craIG county sign is no more... Big Rig Steve has just passed past the location of the mythical sign, and it has been replaced:

RIP craIG county... it will be known from now on as Craig County OK (there's another Craig County in VA).

That's what happens when you make errors famous
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

adventurernumber1

Quote from: 1 on May 05, 2018, 01:14:53 PM
Since Craig County is gone, I nominate this as the new absolute worst:

And it's probably the winner.  :ded:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

There is even a thread on this extra-terrestrial road sign. Through that very thread, when I saw this sign for the first time, it is truly one of the hardest times I have ever laughed in my entire life. If I remember correctly, the laughing went on for several minutes, and there was probably crying and some minor physical pain as well.

It's really a stretch to find even one thing that is correct about the sign - maybe the fact that it is held up by a standard post? That's probably it.  :wow:  :-D  :no:

It also looks like they invented some bootleg fusion between the state route shields of both Florida and Kentucky, and the numbered highway itself is just randomly spelled out (with S.R.) separate from it all. The shape of Florida isn't even the same design that is used on Florida's actual state route shields. The "JCT" banner is way too compressed, and it is just very, very, very rough on the eyes, especially in contrast to the lower part of the sign (since that is not compressed).  :crazy:

It's amazing that this indescribably bad and hilarious road sign has already been standing for 9 years (according to formulanone), but maybe it hasn't been taken down because it is too significant for making history as one of the worst road signs ever created in all of history.  :D

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

freebrickproductions

I nominate any screwed-up state route shields from states that use their state shape (or any other non-polygonal shape) for "worst of". Believe there was another messed-up Florida shield (for FL -2) posted here somewhere before as well...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hotdogPi

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 06, 2018, 03:24:25 AM
I nominate any screwed-up state route shields from states that use their state shape (or any other non-polygonal shape) for "worst of". Believe there was another messed-up Florida shield (for FL -2) posted here somewhere before as well...

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on May 05, 2018, 09:01:03 PM

I'm not so sure.  That sign had been up (and infamous) for at least 8 years.  When I saw it in March, it was weathered, old, and tired-looking.  It may have just been due for a sign replacement, given how ODOT keeps crappy signage up for years on end.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Eth

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 06, 2018, 03:24:25 AM
I nominate any screwed-up state route shields from states that use their state shape (or any other non-polygonal shape) for "worst of".

Fortunately, Georgia gets around this by just not using a consistent shape to begin with.

CNGL-Leudimin

The exact moment of the biggest disappointment ever: https://youtu.be/1I07Zz7ufGc?t=10916s

I've also pinpointed the exact location of that JCT FL 100 monstrosity, but alas, Street View is not yet updated enough to show it. I'm still searching that FL -2 shield.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Mapmikey

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 06, 2018, 02:05:32 PM
The exact moment of the biggest disappointment ever: https://youtu.be/1I07Zz7ufGc?t=10916s

I've also pinpointed the exact location of that JCT FL 100 monstrosity, but alas, Street View is not yet updated enough to show it. I'm still searching that FL -2 shield.

-2 shield is here: https://goo.gl/maps/smpiRtMrko32
just before that shield you run into this: https://goo.gl/maps/gWhGqTjQDro
heading the other way is what looks to be an even more interesting CR 2 shield:  https://goo.gl/maps/FyE3Km3JX2C2
which appears to look like this CR 181 shield: https://goo.gl/maps/pjesnmnRbh12 and another in the opposite direction: https://goo.gl/maps/pdxEkjHF5VA2
from CR 181 is/was this ancient CR 2 shield: https://goo.gl/maps/3jcsP377oFA2

A nice old C-147 shield is further west: https://goo.gl/maps/MFMB36mjufw

Here is a C-2A posting with no shield whatsoever:  https://goo.gl/maps/5paf69N89sB2
GMSV shows one other entry to that intersection has a second one like that...

Scott5114

Quote from: Brandon on May 06, 2018, 09:33:34 AM

I'm not so sure.  That sign had been up (and infamous) for at least 8 years.  When I saw it in March, it was weathered, old, and tired-looking.  It may have just been due for a sign replacement, given how ODOT keeps crappy signage up for years on end.

I first saw it in 2007, so it was at least 11 years old.

Frankly, good riddance. It was an embarrassment to the state of Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

The replacement still isn't anything to write home about. The spacing still looks off. I feel like the letters are vertically centered on each line.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

WillWeaverRVA

It still looks pretty funky. I wonder if they replaced the Mayes county sign in the southbound lanes?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

MCRoads

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIP craIG county
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

TBKS1

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 08, 2018, 03:25:18 PM

The replacement still isn't anything to write home about. The spacing still looks off. I feel like the letters are vertically centered on each line.

Either way, it still doesn't look near as bad as it used to.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on May 05, 2018, 02:48:48 PM

It looks like Florida is in the middle of someone's scope.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on May 09, 2018, 04:22:07 PM
Quote from: formulanone on May 05, 2018, 02:48:48 PM

It looks like Florida is in the middle of someone's scope.

Except it can't be a scope, because it isn't even round. Look what happens to the circle when it hits the panhandle. Also, it looks a little bit taller than it is wide.

jakeroot

I still can't figure out what the significance of the circle would be. Someone just dicking around at the sign shop? (judging by the cutout quality, I'd say that's a certainty).

seicer

Quote from: Android on April 23, 2018, 08:15:42 PM
Quote from: UCFKnights on April 13, 2018, 10:41:10 PM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on April 13, 2018, 08:17:31 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 13, 2018, 07:25:31 PM
Quote from: UCFKnights on April 13, 2018, 07:20:44 PM

I-4 in Orlando as part of the Ultimate redo project. I hope its temporary lol

The spelling, the covering up, or both?

The spacing and alphabet series also look off to me, but I may just be being hypersensitive.
And there's 3 different types of corners on the sign.

Oh lordie, Mixed Corners.... that's the kind of arcane detail that I feel like I'm the only one that ever spots, but I totally missed it here. Hahaha. 

"USE EXIT XX" is centered over the content, but the content isn't centered on the sign. Why so much wasted space?

Brandon

Quote from: jakeroot on May 14, 2018, 10:12:38 PM
I still can't figure out what the significance of the circle would be. Someone just dicking around at the sign shop? (judging by the cutout quality, I'd say that's a certainty).

My guess is it might be an orange (see the license plate).

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on May 15, 2018, 12:04:14 PM

My guess is it might be an orange (see the license plate).

I can see that. Although a leaf on top might help.

MCRoads

Oh dear god, that sign gave my phone cancer....
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

Circles are for state highway shields, yo!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

I hope it went into a museum of awful road signs, or at least someone's personal collection.  It's too famous to just melt down.

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on May 15, 2018, 04:58:35 PM

I hope it went into a museum of awful road signs, or at least someone's personal collection.  It's too famous to just melt down.

But if you were the employee who took it down, wouldn't you feel an acute desire to blow it up with dynamite?
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: TBKS1 on May 09, 2018, 02:57:03 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 08, 2018, 03:25:18 PM

Either way, it still doesn't look near as bad as it used to.

I have a feeling that part of the wonkiness may be due to that being a frame from a video, which can cause weird effects like interpolation and such.

I'm reserving judgment until I or somebody else can go out there and take a real photo.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.